• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cargo

Chuck

I have a feeling we're going to trade for him.

The guy went on a tear last year and was hitting bombs outside of Coors Field too.

Good defensive LF to my knowledge and we're only on the hook for two seasons with him.

Thoughts?

It's going to cost a ton to get him. Miami already wants a ton for Jose Fernandez. Edited by CALZONE

The Rockies may take Cron and Skaggs or Santiago for him. It would relieve them of 38 million bucks over the next two years too. 

Getting rid of the remaining $38 million of CarGo's contract would be of paramount importance to the Rockies. That said, I think Colorado could do better than Cron and Skaggs in a CarGo deal. 

no thanks.  his home/away splits are just too extreme.  Anaheim kills lefties on top of it.  

His .864 ops looks pretty sexy but when park factors are accounted for, it's an ops+ of 116.  Cron's ops+ was 106 this year.  He's 25 and getting better.  Granted, he can't play LF, but there are other options out there.  Frankly, I'd much rather have Ethier in a deal for Wilson.   

Also, he's locked up for two years.  So we need to start the search over in short order and then we'd need a DH.  

We can't take away from the offense at this point.  

I felt they should have made a move for him at last season's deadline.

If they were going to move Ellis-Newcomb anyhow, why the **** didn't they go after a guy who WOULD have put them in the playoffs last year?

Asleep at the wheel, IMO.

Plus, he is going to cost a lot more now during "hot stove crazy money season", than he would have then. 

If they were going to move Ellis-Newcomb anyhow, why the **** didn't they go after a guy who WOULD have put them in the playoffs last year?

Plus, he is going to cost a lot more now during "hot stove crazy money season", than he would have then.

Absolutely agree. Probably because the front office was a mess last year after Jerry left. Who knows, but It definitely wouldn't have hurt as much giving up guys like Ellis and Newcomb for an impactful bat like Cargo or someone else along those lines.

no thanks.  his home/away splits are just too extreme.  Anaheim kills lefties on top of it.  

His .864 ops looks pretty sexy but when park factors are accounted for, it's an ops+ of 116.  Cron's ops+ was 106 this year.  He's 25 and getting better.  Granted, he can't play LF, but there are other options out there.  Frankly, I'd much rather have Ethier in a deal for Wilson.   

Also, he's locked up for two years.  So we need to start the search over in short order and then we'd need a DH.  

We can't take away from the offense at this point.  

All this makes sense and is intelligent but..  Cargo is a name, he hits HRs so -- deaf ears.

All this makes sense and is intelligent but.. Cargo is a name, he hits HRs so -- deaf ears.

Cargo's OPS+ was 116 last year. Heyward's was 116. Sure Carlos' power numbers were helped out by Coors but he has significantly more power than Heyward and plays solid defense. Personally I'd rather take a gamble on two years of Cargo at 38 million than 10 years and 200 million for Heyward or whatever crazy numbers he's projected to get. I just don't know that we have the pieces to get it done. I know I know, Heyward defense and run prevention blah.

Plus, he is going to cost a lot more now during "hot stove crazy money season", than he would have then. 

You forget that we changed GMs between last year's deadline and now. Likely that Dipoto was NOT planning on trading Newcomb/Ellis, but then Eppler came in and had different plans. These are the things that happen when you have internal problems and are forced to change GMs.

On a side note - if it took Newcomb and Ellis to land Simmons in a trade, I highly doubt they would have netted us Cargo. Seems like Newcomb had less trade value than we all thought.

Edited by WallyWorld

Personally I'd rather take a gamble on two years of Cargo at 38 million than 10 years and 200 million for Heyward or whatever crazy numbers he's projected to get. I just don't know that we have the pieces to get it done. I know I know, Heyward defense and run prevention blah.

That's a fair argument, there is less risk involved in 2 years of Cargo than 10 or whatever of Heyward.   But as you correctly pointed out -- we lack the pieces to make that sort of acquisition.

Edited by Inside Pitch

You forget that we changed GMs between last year's deadline and now. Likely that Dipoto was NOT planning on trading Newcomb/Ellis, but then Eppler came in and had different plans. These are the things that happen when you have internal problems and are forced to change GMs.

On a side note - if it took Newcomb and Ellis to land Simmons in a trade, I highly doubt they would have netted us Cargo. Seems like Newcomb had less trade value than we all thought.

No, I didn't forget we lost our GM...but we had an office full of assistants and VP's and scouts, and Stoneman stepped right in to his office. I thought about that while posting, but decided, you know what? That's no excuse. They went out and got a handful of scrubs to fill LF and the bench instead of adding an impact player. They played it scared, and Stoneman has always been known to favor keeping every young pitcher he has ever had. I saw it as weak then, and if they go out and get Cargo now, it really makes doing nothing last year look like a weak move.

No excuse for that, just trigger shy and asleep at the wheel.

And I wasn't saying Newcomb and Ellis would have been enough for Cargo, what I was saying was that Newcomb would have been the main piece we had, and the piece any team would want in order to talk about a major trade. It obviously would have taken more, but it would have had to start with Newcomb.

Edited by Homebrewer

I believe CarGo's CBT hit is only about $11.5 mil so he'd be great to get if we could work out a multi-team trade and maybe take some salary as a tradeoff for lack of prospects. i'm not as concerned about the Coors splits as some here are. I think good hitters can make the transition. And even though the Big A is rough on lefty power hitters we need a lefty to hit between Trout and Pujols who can actually scare the other team and do some damage to power righty relievers.