• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thanksgiving 2015: Family & Politics. Share you stories.

Thanksgiving is a time gathering around a table with family, gnawing on the carcass of a bird that is usually overcooked, and of course arguing politics.  

What are some of your best stories from this year's event?  (of the political arguing ... not the overcooked bird)

Our youngest son surprised us by showing up with his wife that had just been released from Huntington Memorial hospital on Wednesday after a horribly botched surgery the previous week. We were so glad to see her again  without the breathing tubes, IVs and nurses.

The bird was cooked perfectly, there was plenty of laughter and food, no one brought up politics or even sports. We even got most of the dishes done, which a rarity after a large family gathering as the dishwasher is always cycling throughout the day keeping up.

All and all very good day.

That is good to hear she is ok Eric.  Had a friend recently who was on death bed in ICU for two months before they could do another surgery to fix the first one.  

We are libs who have done well under the Obama hierarchy so we never talk politics when we are together.  Life is actually good, nothing to complain about.

My younger daughter did come home from school with a "Texans for Bernie" sticker on her back glass.  I told her it gets busted she has to buy a new one.  

My brother and I see eye to eye on politics so our discussions are always calm. We talked a bit about trump and Carson and the nonsense in Chicago. My mom is a hilary supporter and my wife doesn't care about any of it.

Edited by Tank

My ex husband and his wife joined us for Thanksgiving.  Everyone was on their best behavior.  No politics were discussed.

My 5 year old granddaughter did utter this gem after not getting her way though:

"That's it! I quit Thanksgiving!"  As she stormed off in a huff.

Good times ;)

Ok ...

1)  You guys suck at adding any comical political family stories to this thread.

2)  It sounds like everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family.  That warms my heart, because mine was also an outstanding day.  This is the last Thanksgiving we'll have with my mom, and we had family come out from CA to spend with us.  It was a wonderful day reliving old memories and making new ones.

Ok ...

1)  You guys suck at adding any comical political family stories to this thread.

2)  It sounds like everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family.  That warms my heart, because mine was also an outstanding day.  This is the last Thanksgiving we'll have with my mom, and we had family come out from CA to spend with us.  It was a wonderful day reliving old memories and making new ones.

Dude, sorry to hear that about your mom.  

I spent most of the day in the hospital with my wife who was recovering from surgery but we were able to get her out in time to go to dinner with her family.  I'd say we had at least 30 people there.  Many conversations going on, didn't hear anything political.  We did leave early enough that we missed the show from the uninvited drunk/druggie daughter showing up around 10 and embarrassing herself, if she had any shame.

Spent Thanksgiving at my brother's place. We were gonna go to his wife's parents' about an hour away, but weather ruined that idea. So it was just the three of us throwing together whatever we could without leaving the house. No political arguments, as we're all pretty much on the same page in that sense.

Edited by Don

Went up to Napa to have Thanksgiving with family.  My brother, who is very laid back, and his unemployed wife, who is always angry at someone, usually a former boss, hosted.  She's a huge Bernie Sanders supporter.  She has that luxury.  Their space cadet son was there.  He's an 'art' student. The more art school he goes to, the worse his art gets.  It's truly amazing.  He's got a long beard now and unkept, scraggly hair.  He joins Black Lives Matter protestors on occasion in Oakland.  As a starving art student whose tuition is about $40K per year, he has that luxury.  

I drove over with my mom and my new dad.  Both are frugal, value a dollar, and buy things only if they can afford it.  Remarkably, politics did not come up at dinner, though i was fully prepared to referee when/if the time came.

The art student was supposed to graduate this year.  But he needs two more quarters.  Seems he's not making his drawrings fast enough.  His art school hasn't down him the internship they promised him.  So they suckered him into more tuition to get it done.  We are doomed.

Here's how my after-dinner conversation went with my father in law.

Lawrence: So... the wife and I are thinking about flying up to see you guys in February.

FIL: That would be great but good luck being able to afford the tickets. Everything's been screwed up since the Arabs took over.

Lawrence: Did they buy one of the airlines or something?

FIL: No. 9/11

Lawrence: (blank stare)