• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

Lets also remember that Simmons was playing for a team with ZERO HOPE of making the playoffs.

With alot of road games at HOU & TEX I expect his HR numbers climb up a little.

Also isn't Anaheim more hitter friendly compared to Atlanta ?

atlanta was 18th in park factor last year in runs and angel stadium was 29th out of 30. it's about as pitcher friendly as it gets.

Edited by ukyah

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2015 at 7:50 PM, wopphil said:

We gave up one year of Aybar, one prospect in the top 25, and another on the fringe of the top 100, for five years of one of the better shortstops in the game at a reasonable contract. A guy who a couple years ago was worth 7.0 WAR.

Whether you like the trade or not, I struggle to see how we over-paid.

Well said @wopphil. You sound like a smart guy.

On 11/12/2015 at 4:25 PM, The_Outrunner said:

I put my phone down to have a nice dinner with the fiancé..... Then I almost throw up said dinner

When I read this again, now, it reminded me of the time my dog Tweety Bird (God rest her soul) threw up her chicken dinner and then immediately ate it again.

On 11/12/2015 at 5:37 PM, ettin said:

While this was happening I was finishing up my Primer on Shortstop.... I feel like we will regret this trade in the long run. However Simmons certainly brings an elite defensive presence so we did improve for the next four years. But the cost of two young quality starting pitchers plus one year of Aybar was an expensive price to pay.

Bottom line now is Arte better spend big this offseason because he just sacrificed a big part of our future.

Not-so-brilliant!

On 11/12/2015 at 6:48 PM, ettin said:

In terms of their current trade value this was about an even trade. Long term the Angels will regret this trade particularly if they don't do some damage in the postseason.

But all of this clearly points to the primary tenet of my Primer Series which is to build a winning core of players through Mike Trout's controllable years and Simmons, no matter how you feel about this trade, will make our infield defense very good as his range will allow the Angels to put marginal defensive players at the keystone and hot corner which was looking like what was going to have to happen based on the available pool of players.

For instance in the Second Base article you'll notice that most of our choices and options internally and in free agency and trade were offensive types not defensive ones. Putting someone like Simmons at SS will create less pressure to find good defensive solutions at 2B and 3B, although certainly you'd love to have that there anyway.

This is the part of the movie '300' where after all the arrows reign down on the Spartans, King Leonidas stands up and says "Recover!"

On 11/12/2015 at 7:28 PM, ettin said:

I'm speaking mostly about defensive range here tennis. The talk about trying Kubitza out at 2B is making more sense now in light of this Simmons trade. He has a powerful throwing arm and all reports point to solid fielding/glove work so not having great range at the keystone wouldn't be as terrible with Andrelton running everything down up the middle and Kubitza is controllable for several years just like Simmons.

Ouch! WTF was wrong with me in this thread?!?!?

On 11/12/2015 at 10:19 PM, ettin said:

We should be really careful talking about that 17 HR season which was an outlier. He's more of a single digits HR type.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=10847&position=SS&type=battedball&pid2=10847&ss1=2013&se1=2013&ss2=2013&se2=2013&cht1=hittype&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

Good God, someone tell me to STFU. These were my formative years.

On 11/12/2015 at 10:28 PM, 101halo said:

It's over 8 min long but worth it. Might change the opinion on how valuable defense CAN be after watching it. Still don't like the cost, but dude is AMAZING defensively.

We all loved to rail on the "omg how can MVP voters ignore defense of Trout vs Cabrera" until suddenly we've forgotten how valuable it can be because we didn't want to give up Nuke.

We know nothing Jon Snows.