• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Some Nick Tropicana Love!!

Chuck

Completely agree. Though I think Trop and Skaggs will likely have to wait till the trade deadline (barring injuries) to make the rotation. Weaver and Wilson will be in to start. Wilson likely traded at some point, but with the injury to end this year probably not till June at the earliest. Weaver I'd love to say will earn his spot, but we all know he'll be in the rotation regardless till at least June. Also, who the heck knows what happens with Hector.

And not trying to stoke the Dipoto fight, I understand both sides, but give credit where credit is due. 4 of those 5 guys were not on the team when he got here.

Hell yes.

And sign Latos please.

I'm torn. I thought he was a product of Petco, but then pitched well in Cincy (a hitters ballpark). Then this year has kind of been a mess. For cheap, I'd certainly be willing to give him a shot, but then you're keeping one of the young guys down.

I kind of think that it's either sign a front line 1 or 2 (which Latos COULD be a 2, but there's risk), or put all available money into LF, C, 2B or 3B (also torn on keeping Freese depending on price).

I kind of think that it's either sign a front line 1 or 2 (which Latos COULD be a 2, but there's risk), or put all available money into LF, C, 2B or 3B (also torn on keeping Freese depending on price).

Latos could be a #2...on the Angels?

Wat

Latos isn't done, I can tell you that. Whoever signs him and works with him a little is going to get great value.

As for the rotation going forward, I think we'll see Santiago traded this offseason, probably for a decent but not great position playing prospect in AA. They'll enter ST, where CJ will look solid and they'll end up trading him for salary relief. Skaggs will have had enough time to fully recover and will be fine. Opening the season next year, I think it's Richards, Heaney, Weav, Tropeano and Shoemaker. Weav will be replaced in June by Skaggs and finish the season either in relief or as a cheerleader.

The Angels will wait until at least September for both Newcomb and Ellis. While both are pretty good, they also need to iron out a few things.

Going into 2017 though, I think it's Richards, Heaney, Newcomb, Skaggs and either Ellis or Tropeano.

Latos isn't done, I can tell you that. Whoever signs him and works with him a little is going to get great value.

As for the rotation going forward, I think we'll see Santiago traded this offseason, probably for a decent but not great position playing prospect in AA. They'll enter ST, where CJ will look solid and they'll end up trading him for salary relief. Skaggs will have had enough time to fully recover and will be fine. Opening the season next year, I think it's Richards, Heaney, Weav, Tropeano and Shoemaker. Weav will be replaced in June by Skaggs and finish the season either in relief or as a cheerleader.

The Angels will wait until at least September for both Newcomb and Ellis. While both are pretty good, they also need to iron out a few things.

Going into 2017 though, I think it's Richards, Heaney, Newcomb, Skaggs and either Ellis or Tropeano.

Latos has a good chance to be this off-season's Phil Hughes from a few years ago.    A lot of people are looking at the ERA and running away... that and his wife is like a sane Anna Benson...   But if you look at most of his indicators he's right in line with his career averages.   He's still not giving up a ton of HRs, his BB/9 rate this year is better than his career average and his FIP and xFIP are both in the 3.50 range... they are actually better than what they were last year with Cinci...   The only thing that's totally out of whack is his BABIP.... and that's not on him.   He's been unlucky.... and this isn't a Blanton situation where he has ALWAYS fallen short of what his predicted ERA would be...

Looking at his velocity and and pitch data -- he's really not that far off his career numbers..   about 1 MPH...    Dude is likely a great buy low candidate.  A smart organization might try to create a bit of a relationship in hopes of getting him to want to stick around...   Add him, and then have more pitchers to trade for offense.

Shit like this is why I wish we had a freaking GM in place...

Latos has a good chance to be this off-season's Phil Hughes from a few years ago.    A lot of people are looking at the ERA and running away... that and his wife is like a sane Anna Benson...   But if you look at most of his indicators he's right in line with his career averages.   He's still not giving up a ton of HRs, his BB/9 rate this year is better than his career average and his FIP and xFIP are both in the 3.50 range... they are actually better than what they were last year with Cinci...   The only thing that's totally out of whack is his BABIP.... and that's not on him.   He's been unlucky.... and this isn't a Blanton situation where he has ALWAYS fallen short of what his predicted ERA would be...

Looking at his velocity and and pitch data -- he's really not that far off his career numbers..   about 1 MPH...    Dude is likely a great buy low candidate.  A smart organization might try to create a bit of a relationship in hopes of getting him to want to stick around...   Add him, and then have more pitchers to trade for offense.

Shit like this is why I wish we had a freaking GM in place...

You have an interim one in place, and he just got us Latos.  We got time to sign him with the next GM.

You have an interim one in place, and he just got us Latos.  We got time to sign him with the next GM.

I'm wondering if this is a "goodwill" type thing.  Latos won't make anymore money this year, whatever the Angels pay him will be deducted from what the Dodgers owe him.  So there has to be reason.  Maybe if he does well the Angels will sign him.  As they have found out the last 2 years, you can never have enough pitching.

Completely agree. Though I think Trop and Skaggs will likely have to wait till the trade deadline (barring injuries) to make the rotation. Weaver and Wilson will be in to start. Wilson likely traded at some point, but with the injury to end this year probably not till June at the earliest. Weaver I'd love to say will earn his spot, but we all know he'll be in the rotation regardless till at least June. Also, who the heck knows what happens with Hector.

And not trying to stoke the Dipoto fight, I understand both sides, but give credit where credit is due. 4 of those 5 guys were not on the team when he got here.

it sucks this can't be like the NHL where they just buy out Weaver and Wilson & pay them not to play.

If they could buy those 2 out:

Heaney/Richards/Tropeano/Santiago/FA possibly could sign Lackey (Plus that might make Scioscia's time shorter, maybe sign Napoli too to make Scioscia want out). Assuming they trade Shoemaker or Santiago.

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP