• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Johnny Baseball

TroutField

The dude is adding some fire to this team right now and hitting with all sorts of gap power! So the question becomes is he your second baseman next year? I've seen some comments in other threads about him but figured I would make one for it.

In my opinion it will be tough to move on but I don't see how you can endure another season of a low OBP and very little power from the second base position. Having under a .700 ops from a second baseman with developing defense isn't going to cut it if you have World Series aspirations. But at the same time you could sign a left fielder to a big contract and unload some prospects on a really good 3rd baseman (Nolan Arenado for our whole farm system) if one comes available or vice versa and sign a couple bullpen arms, leave Gia at second and call it an offseason.

This team has been lifeless this season. Everyone just goes through the motions, but Giavotella has really sparked something since he returned from the DL. Seeing him run his life out to turn a 2B to a 3B and dive headfirst is inspiring to the team and fans. We've all complained about the team lacking passion and drive–not taking losing seriously, etc... but things have miraculously turned around since Giavotella returned. 

That energy really contrasts with someone like Robinson Cano who is a pitiful piece of shit without any hustle or energy. Nothing is worse than a player without hustle and Cano is shaming the game

The best players hustle and do everything they can to lead the team to a victory–and Gia does exactly that. His emotion on the field are very inspiring.

Johnny Giavotella is definitely one of my favorite players on the team, and the best offensive acquisition Dipoto ever made as GM. I gave up on the team like many of us, but now I feel like a homer. Something is different about the team lately.

Edited by failos

This team has been lifeless this season. Everyone just goes through the motions, but Giavotella has really sparked something since he returned from the DL. Seeing him run his life out to turn a 2B to a 3B and dive headfirst is inspiring to the team and fans. We've all complained about the team lacking passion and drive–not taking losing seriously, etc... but things have miraculously turned around since Giavotella returned. 

That energy really contrasts with someone like Robinson Cano who is a pitiful piece of shit without any hustle or energy. Nothing is worse than a player without hustle and Cano is shaming the game

The best players hustle and do everything they can to lead the team to a victory–and Gia does exactly that. His emotion on the field are very inspiring.

Johnny Giavotella is definitely one of my favorite players on the team, and the best offensive acquisition Dipoto ever made as GM. I gave up on the team like many of us, but now I feel like a homer. Something is different about the team lately.

I was shocked to see how much better the entire team looks when Freese and Giavotella returned (both happened around the same time IIRC). Two guys that seem to have it when it comes to "intangibles" above and beyond their specs on paper. 

I was shocked to see how much better the entire team looks when Freese and Giavotella returned (both happened around the same time IIRC). Two guys that seem to have it when it comes to "intangibles" above and beyond their specs on paper. 

That's exactly what Angels Baseball is all about: guys like Freese and Giavotella defying stats/projections and winning games for the team. They won it all in 2002 with sheer luck and clutch plays from scrappy/small-time players. You rarely see Trout or other superstars coming through with the gaming winning HR or hit and I'm OK with that.

Intangibles are fun, cold hard actual production is even better..  

Giavotella has put up an 1.455 OPS since coming back.  Freese, .886 since returning.   On the season the Angels' best 2B not named Giavotella put up a .511 OPS.  All the Angels 2B combined to put up a .635 OPS.   At third base it's not much better...   Connor Gillispie and his .594 OPS paced all Angels back ups at 3B  and combined the Angels put up a .677 OPS.  This team's bench has been laughably awful.

The Angels have the best record in MLB this September but the really jarring part is that the Angels have combined to put up a .724 OPS this month which is below the league average both for the month (.750) and on the season (.729). -- they have in fact combined to do WORSE than what their pitching staff has allowed ...  a .726 OPS.   

When it's all said and done it goes back to something that's been proven repeatedly -- RUN PREVENTION >>>> run production.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

That's exactly what Angels Baseball is all about: guys like Freese and Giavotella defying stats/projections and winning games for the team. They won it all in 2002 with sheer luck and clutch plays from scrappy/small-time players. You rarely see Trout or other superstars coming through with the gaming winning HR or hit and I'm OK with that.

This sounds like a praise for Dipoto.

This sounds like a praise for Dipoto.

I am a believer in Dipoto's baseball philosophy–his big picture, so to speak. Despite his numerous mishaps, I rooted for him and believed in what he was trying to accomplish.

You keep a player like Giavotella. He brings energy and is fun to watch. He also has a flare for the dramatics. Also, you would have to think that having his vision issue that thoughts of never playing again may have motivated him in a way that changes perspective. The kid is a gamer and you need players like that on a roster.

You keep a player like Giavotella. He brings energy and is fun to watch. He also has a flare for the dramatics. Also, you would have to think that having his vision issue that thoughts of never playing again may have motivated him in a way that changes perspective. The kid is a gamer and you need players like that on a roster.

I'd keep him at 2b and spend money elsewhere...

Not sure you'd win a lot of games with a lineup of nothing but Featherstons.....

Yes, because that's totally what's being implied.   The references to the gawd awful bench are in fact a call to add even more completely inept hitters.

I think our best scenario, unless you want to throw a lot of money at Kendrick, is to hope Giavotella can improve enough to give you at least average defense at 2b (may be a stretch)....but also have a McDonald or Jackson type (Featherston needs a full year in AAA) on the bench for late inning defense...

Edited by DMVol

I think our best scenario, unless you want to throw a lot of money at Kendrick, is to hope Giavotella can improve enough to give you at least average defense at 2b (may be a stretch)....but also have a McDonald or Jackson type (Featherston needs a full year in AAA) on the bench for late inning defense...

Wait -- I wasn't at all trying to cap on Gia....  I also wouldn't bet against a guy who may have just had a life altering scare like the one he did..   When I talk about improving the run prevention I'm more interesting in seeing them add to the pitching..  I think the pitching is a weakness.   The defense as a whole has been good if not downright excellent, much better than I anticipated coming into this season.  Gia's been a hack out there but at least he's not Grant Green bad.

I like Howie, but I'd sooner bring him back to play 3B than I would 2B - mostly because I think it's slim pickings at 3Bm and because he's not prone to some of the slumps we have seen from Freese.  .

Edited by Inside Pitch

Wait -- I wasn't at all trying to cap on Gia....  I also wouldn't bet against a guy who may have just had a life altering scare like the one he did..   When I talk about improving the run prevention I'm more interesting in seeing them add to the pitching..  I think the pitching is a weakness.   The defense as a whole has been good if not downright excellent, much better than I anticipated coming into this season.  Gia's been a hack out there but at least he's not Grant Green bad.

I like Howie, but I'd sooner bring him back to play 3B than I would 2B - mostly because I think it's slim pickings at 3Bm and because he's not prone to some of the slumps we have seen from Freese.  .

Assuming the new GM is not going to have the money to sign a Price, not sure how he would approach improving the pitching. We have decent depth in the starting rotation, assuming Skaggs makes it back, but nobody close to an ace...Richards has the biggest upside and maybe, a year away from his injury, he is better next year.  Might sign another Joe Smith type to give you more depth in the pen?  Not sure we have a lot of available parts to trade for pitching, like DiPoto did with Trumbo and Howie in the past 2 offseasons...

Assuming the new GM is not going to have the money to sign a Price, not sure how he would approach improving the pitching. We have decent depth in the starting rotation, assuming Skaggs makes it back, but nobody close to an ace...Richards has the biggest upside and maybe, a year away from his injury, he is better next year.  Might sign another Joe Smith type to give you more depth in the pen?  Not sure we have a lot of available parts to trade for pitching, like DiPoto did with Trumbo and Howie in the past 2 offseasons...

The pen could use a couple arms -- doesn't have to be really expensive.  If they did manage to move an arm, they may be able to sign an arm.   More than one way to skin a cat IMO..   But if the choice is between spending a ton of money on a big ticket LFer from the NL or a SP...  I'd probably go with the arm although there is always more risk in signing any pitcher.  I haven't really taken the time to consider all the options.   The nice thing is the team has multiple directions it could go.

There is really too much in flux right now to really argue in any one direction.  We need a GM first and foremost.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Agree 100%.