• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Mat Latos

KevinJ14

The Angels have no long guy in the pen, and are starting Tropeano, Weaver, and Santiago who are basically 5-6 inning starters, tops. Latos was brought in to to provide some bullpen relief down the stretch...Rasmus can't go 2-3 innings every game. If he can provide 15-18 outs over the course of the next week he'll be the bargain of the year.

Edited by red321

The Angels have no long guy in the pen, and are starting Tropeano, Weaver, and Santiago who are basically 5-6 inning starters, tops. Latos was brought in to to provide some bullpen relief down the stretch...Rasmus can't go 2-3 innings every game. If he can provide 15-18 outs over the course of the next week he'll be the bargain of the year.

^^^This^^^...if he gives you nothing more than one good long relief outing, it was a good move.....one good long relief outing in any of these last 7 games would gives us a chance to come back from an early deficit.......heck, it was a good move if he gives you nothing more than long relief insurance for these last 7 games, even if we don't use him....

I hope Latos for whatever reason likes it here and rediscovers his mojo. If he returned to form and added him to our rotation, suddenly things would like peachy going into next year.

I thought of the same thing Scotty but it's an awfully short window....if he impresses Scioscia and Butcher with his attitude, maybe you look at it....he's put up some good #'s until this year....

Hell, it doesn't even need to be a good outing. If a game is out of hand and the team just needs to eat up outs let it be Latos instead of someone like Morin or Rasmus who will be needed the next night in a key situation. No difference losing 8-2 as compared to 15-2.

Yep....no downside to this signing at all....Except---if it's 8-2, I'd rather he pitch well to give us a chance to come back....no tomorrows right now...

Edited by DMVol

I think you all are seriously undervaluing what we have here.

If we don't take advantage of our early opportunity and sign his 27 yr old ass so he has a shot to turn it around next year, then we're more foolish than I thought.

I'm not going to say I disagree with that statement...if you could get him to sign an incentive laden deal. But I seriously doubt this signing was made with 2016 as a major consideration.

Hell, it doesn't even need to be a good outing. If a game is out of hand and the team just needs to eat up outs let it be Latos instead of someone like Morin or Rasmus who will be needed the next night in a key situation. No difference losing 8-2 as compared to 15-2.

Yep this is what I was thinking.

Right now the team can't afford to lose at all...period.

True but there's zero difference between losing by five and losing by eight. However you can use him to save other arms if our starter gets shelled. Or if for some reason we blow out a team he can eat a few innings as well.