• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Irving Texas is a silly place

i think the school initially took the right steps. if they didn't know what it was then the teacher who gave the assignment or someone from the engineering class should look it over and decide it there was a legit threat. once they determined there was no immediate cause for alarm, everything should have gone back to normal. i think the mistake was not checking it out first and then calling the police. i don't blame the school for assuming the worst, but they're at fault for not doing their due diligence and letting this be a bigger issue than it needed to be.

I could understand detaining the boy momentarily on campus followed by promptly releasing him with no penalties once the device was determined not to be a threat, and confirmed to be done as part of a school-sanctioned science project. 

Actually arresting the boy, then proceeding to interrogate the kid without parents or a lawyer present, followed by handing over a bullshit form letter saying that the arrest and suspension from school for "violating the code of conduct" was done "for his own" safety should result in a massive civil judgment against the police department and school district. (and it's too bad those judgments are not actually paid by the department that is at fault, rather than out of the general treasury)

Edited by ScottLux

I was trying to figure out why this was such a big story and then I realized that certain people are trying to spin this into an "islamophobia" story. 

Oh no doubt this is just another liberal hack of our country.  Liberals are coming to kill us all. 

Part of it is getting so much spin because if you look up the Irving Mayor, you will see Islamaphobia.  She doesn't like those stinky browns. 

Edited by Kurt Swanson

All of these idiots think it's a bomb, nobody called the bomb squad.

Texas.

ya, no doubt.  The school would have been evacuated, street blocks closed off and a bomb squad called in. Instead it was...What is this kid, tells us it's a bomb.  Is the the button you press to make it go off? 

ya, no doubt.  The school would have been evacuated, street blocks closed off and a bomb squad called in. Instead it was...What is this kid, tells us it's a bomb.  Is the the button you press to make it go off? 

The official statement from the police chief was they were arresting him for "intent to cause panic with a mock bomb" because "it looks just like a movie bomb". They are not charging him criminally but it is why the justification for the school suspending him. Becuase it was done as part of a school project for an electronics course it should be patently obvious there was no intent to cause panic though.

Thing is the only people doing that were the police who severely overreacted to something they knew on the spot was a non-threat in reality. If the device is known to be a dummy, the way to not cause panic is to deal with the situation quietly. 

The ones spinning this as an Islamaphobia story are the police department and the school admin.

I think that angle is being overplayed. I would actually expect the same idiocy if the kid was middle eastern but not religious. There are also plenty of cases of extreme police overreaction to non-issues in schools for white people, black people etc. Situations like this are a problem in general in this country IMO.