• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Lhalo

10 hours ago, Taylor said:

I believe Jesus was making a point about 1. the showiness of charity (as you pointed out) and 2. the level of sacrifice it took for the giver to give what they gave (as I pointed out). He didn't just say, "The woman gave without making a show of it." He literally commended her for giving everything she had. Don't overlook that point.

Jesus was a lot more radical than many Christians give him credit for. He totally annihilated the status quo systems that were prevalent at the time, calling to question the very things that the religious mainstream considered sacred and offering an alternative way of viewing the world. It's no wonder they tried to throw him off a cliff when he returned to Nazareth and preached about God's inclusive love for the so-called wretched Gentiles. 

The truth is, Elon Musk and others could give much, much more to humanitarian causes and still live a ridiculously lavish lifestyle that none of us would ever live in our wildest dreams. They take advantage of loopholes in the system so that they pay less in taxes than you and me. How is that right? Say what you want about how taxation is theft, but the truth is, we are accountable to paying taxes and it places a larger burden on us (the non-loophole people) when these compilers of ridiculous wealth game the system.

Adam likes to say that nobody goes into politics unless they're narcissistic, power-hungry authoritarians. I really haven't seen anyone push him back on that point. Yet many of you will fervently jump at the chance to defend the wealthiest of the wealthy. Maybe it's a generational thing. You grew up believing the notion that financial success = intelligence, talent, work ethic, what have you. And anyone who questions that notion is simply jealous of the people who have it all.

Jesus stood with the weak, the poor, the marginalized, the discriminated against, the scorned, the rejected, the alienated. He told the rich young ruler to sell everything he had and give it to the poor. There's no virtue in amassing obscene wealth.

I think where you and I differ on things is i believe that Jesus spoke to us as individuals to do these things, not the government. Governments all through history have a long history of doing evil and corrupt things. They should not be controlling our wealth 

I've worked in non-profit fundraising for 30 years (for a variety of organizations). A lot of wealthy people give plenty. Some give anonymously. They don't give for tax benefits. They give to the causes they're most passionate about. The middle class is more likely to I give for tax reasons...

I'm not defending billionaires. It's just funny to me that some of you think you know their motives and you think or think the government knows what's best for their money.

Fact is philanthropy as a percentage of the GDP hasn't changed from about 2% in 40 years. That number would be even lower if the wealthy didn't give.

Like I said earlier... 56% of Americans give at all and we are the most generous country in the world. 

Focusing your anger on the philanthropic habits of the wealthy is misplaced, IMO.

Edited by True Grich

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The middle class is more likely to I give for tax reasons...

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It's just funny to me that some of you think you know their motives

So then you know the motives of the middle class obviously.  Tax reasons more likely. Wrong again. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

1.  Nobody is offering to give you their money.

2. You call yourself fat and poor. I don't like it when you do and have expressed that to you. 

3.  I agree with you about calling Taylor poor. It's stupid, but more importantly, it's not even funny. 

1. Not literally. But the complaints about taxes here are often directed towards "poor people" and not wanting to give them their money.

2. I do because it's how I cope with other people saying it. But it's not a false statement. I am overweight and don't make much money.

3. Agreed.

1 hour ago, Crampknees said:

So then you know the motives of the middle class obviously.  Tax reasons more likely. Wrong again. 

I study why people give. It's part of my job. More likely to give for tax reasons doesn't mean that's the main reason or that most give for that reason alone. I'm simply stating of the two groups, the middle class are more likely.

Not wrong.

41 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

1. Not literally. But the complaints about taxes here are often directed towards "poor people" and not wanting to give them their money.

2. I do because it's how I cope with other people saying it. But it's not a false statement. I am overweight and don't make much money.

3. Agreed.

Honestly I don’t mind helping people in need. There will always be free loaders but our system makes it way to easy to become a way of life. We’ve thrown billions at poverty and all we have to show for it are crime infested slums. Our government has no problem with messaging and revoking rights when it comes to Covid but we haven’t addressed the issues that lead to poverty. I don’t think we shame the poor but we certainly need to have real discussion on the root causes. When was the last time you heard a significant politician call out dead beat dads or moms for being irresponsible? The truth doesn’t poll well so our leaders ignore it. The dems have run on helping the poor for years. If they eliminated poverty , they wouldn’t have a base. The fact is a large poor population is essential for their political success. Why would they want to change that?

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Pretty much 99% of this forum are complete assholes who use ad hominem in every fucking thread.

And yes, that includes myself.

I, like Taylor, don't want your fucking money. But I get called fat and poor indirectly quite often. It's true, but does that mean I can't have a discussion about taxes and billionaires? 

Calling Taylor poor and shit is fucking stupid. Stop being a c*nt.

Lets Go GIF by Regal

8 hours ago, Lou said:

Criticizing someone else for giving any amount to charity doesn't seem like it very Christian thing to do. 

You're probably right about this. What about the rest of what I said in my post (the one where I responded to both you and Tank)?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I think where you and I differ on things is i believe that Jesus spoke to us as individuals to do these things, not the government. Governments all through history have a long history of doing evil and corrupt things. They should not be controlling our wealth 

I actually agree with this. But we don't live in an ideal world where individuals and churches take care of all the people who need it, and that's why the government is necessary.

Governments have done evil and corrupt things throughout history. So have rich people. So have poor people. So have churches and pastors. So being an institution that does evil things doesn't prevent you from being able to do good. That's how I feel about the police, too.

53 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I study why people give. It's part of my job. More likely to give for tax reasons doesn't mean that's the main reason or that most give for that reason alone. I'm simply stating of the two groups, the middle class are more likely.

Not wrong.

I don't want to say don't give to charity but for the middle class the tax savings is not all that great.  Has to be some motive of caring to give. 

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I actually agree with this. But we don't live in an ideal world where individuals and churches take care of all the people who need it, and that's why the government is necessary.

Governments have done evil and corrupt things throughout history. So have rich people. So have poor people. So have churches and pastors. So being an institution that does evil things doesn't prevent you from being able to do good. That's how I feel about the police, too.

America?

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

2. I do because it's how I cope with other people saying it. But it's not a false statement. I am overweight and don't make much money

But don't you think others do it because you do it ? If you made people aware that it's not something you want to be made fun of, i believe it would cease. (as I've done on a particular topic)

Now, you may not really care one way or the other, but I can't believe it's something you really enjoy.

54 minutes ago, Crampknees said:

I don't want to say don't give to charity but for the middle class the tax savings is not all that great.  Has to be some motive of caring to give. 

Thats true since Trump changed the tax law. You have to give more to have any impact on your taxes.... $12,400 for single people and $24,800 for couples. The minimum deduction was lower prior to Trump. 

We are still trying to determine if that has had an impact on giving.