• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No one thinks Dipoto was a great GM

NrM

He was probably average and did well considering the crazy constraints he had.

We supported Jerry........ not because of the love we had for him..... but because of how much we hate scioscia.

Thought I'd clarify some things.

p.s. I'm drunk.

Edited by Poozy

I felt like the sudden outpouring of strong support for Dipoto was mostly a product of him being the first Angels GM to take over after Reagins left.

It's similar to how Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Price back in '09 for not being George W Bush.

He was probably average and did well considering the crazy constraints he had.

We supported Jerry........ not because of the love we had for him..... but because of how much we hate scioscia.

Thought I'd clarify some things.

p.s. I'm drunk.

"crazy constraints"

Poor Jedi, after he signed Pujols, CJ, and Hamilton Arte cut him off. 

I would'nt consider him "great". But I do think he represented himself and the org extremely well. That's what I miss most. He was articulate, intelligent and had a confidence about himself that I feel people couldn't help but want to interact with him, hence the fluid relationships he had with other GM's. These are attributes this org did not have before. IMHO.

I am bitter Jerry left the team. Obviously I am not privy to what happened, and who knows what personal stuff he might be going through, but to quit mid-season feels like he betrayed us. If things were so terrible, why did he stick around 3+ years. And why couldn't he have put in a few more months and finished the season.

He quit on this team, that I didn't like.  Yes, he was articulate, great with his fans, talked a good game and was fun to hear speak, and he made some terrible mistakes.  He quit on this team, that I didn't like.  In retrospect, I believe he was a poor choice and fit for this organization.  General managers are like umps, the good ones don't bring controversy and remain transparent.  Baseball is not all about General Managers, or umps, or coaching, or managers, it's about the players.  He quit on this team, that I didn't like. 

I am bitter Jerry left the team. Obviously I am not privy to what happened, and who knows what personal stuff he might be going through, but to quit mid-season feels like he betrayed us. If things were so terrible, why did he stick around 3+ years. And why couldn't he have put in a few more months and finished the season.

Clearly he felt the issues between the front office and the coaching staff had become a distraction for the team and the situation was no longer tenable. He's acknowledged how valuable an MLB GM position is so he didn't take this lightly and whatever happened was significant.

He quit on this team, that I didn't like. Yes, he was articulate, great with his fans, talked a good game and was fun to hear speak, and he made some terrible mistakes. He quit on this team, that I didn't like. In retrospect, I believe he was a poor choice and fit for this organization. General managers are like umps, the good ones don't bring controversy and remain transparent. Baseball is not all about General Managers, or umps, or coaching, or managers, it's about the players. He quit on this team, that I didn't like.

Saying he "quit" on the team without knowing the facts of what happened is stupidity on your part.

Saying he "quit" on the team without knowing the facts of what happened is stupidity on your part.

Well where is the link that says he was fired?  There are only two ways out, you quit or get fired.  If there is a third way out, educate me on what that is.  Saying that my comment was stupid based on the facts that were made public is stupid on your part.

Edited by tomsred

I felt like the sudden outpouring of strong support for Dipoto was mostly a product of him being the first Angels GM to take over after Reagins left.

It's similar to how Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Price back in '09 for not being George W Bush.

as a dipoto fan, i hate to admit it, but thats probably absolutely correct.

He made some real nice moves, and did a good job getting some pitching in here. He also made some really poor ones.

But yeah, being the first stat guy to come in after the reagins/sosh era gave him a long rope with a lot of us

Well where is the link that says he was fired? There are only two ways out, you quit or get fired. If there is a third way out, educate me on what that is.

There's a difference between "quitting on the team", the way you mean it, and resigning for the good of the organization. I'd hope you could understand that. I bet if you could ask him, he could educate you.

Is it not a fact that he quit his job?

Is it not a fact that the season was miday?

He quit on the team. The facts support that. Now if we were to get a more accurate idea why he would quit mid year I might be more sympathetic to him.

I fail to see quitting midyear a month before a critical trading deadline would be best for the team. It would be nice to know Jerry's side on why he quit.

There's a difference between "quitting on the team", the way you mean it, and resigning for the good of the organization. I'd hope you could understand that. I bet if you could ask him, he could educate you.

Well I guess we will never know if he quit on the team for his own personal reasons, or he wanted to do Arte a favor and send him a little gift by resigning.  I've managed a lot of people over a long business career, and seen many managers come and go, 99% of the time people who resign do so because they think it's better for them, they don't do it because they particularly like or respect the organization.  Usually they think the organization won't listen to them, or give them what they think they deserve (respect, more power, more money, more something).

And since we don't fully know his side, it's pretty chicken shit to label him a quitter. For all we know it was the team that quit on him.

Okay, we disagree, let's move on.  He didn't "quit" on the team, he left the team under "unusual circumstances."  However, if I were interviewing him for a GM job, among my questions would be: "Why did you really quit?"

So who's up next, Bud Black, Matt Klentak, or Mystery Man? 

Edited by tomsred

the angels are notoriously tight-lipped on internal things. we don't know everything that went on with arte and jerry, just like we don't know everything that happened with hamilton. wouldn't surprise me at all if dipoto's decision to quit involved things that happened with how arte dealt with hamilton.

the reality is that we don't know very much. attaching labels seems fruitless at this point.

as for jerry, i thought he did a good job and i liked having him at the helm. wish he was still here.

In before Chuck jumps in and rips you all for bad mouthing his buddy...

But seriously, he made some great trades, and he made some bad ones, with some bad signings. His philosophy just didn't match up with Scioscia's, and they weren't going to be able to coexist, especially when none of the players or management/ownership have your back either. Do I think he was a great GM? No, but he wasn't bad, and I think he was getting even better.