• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Dodgers....

They are flexing financial muscle like no team ever has...

They basically are buying players and draft picks via trade, totally legal under the current CBA but unlike anything we have ever seen...

In order to make the Latos/Wood deal they took on Bronson Arroyo's contract, they are similarly taking on Morse's.  They paid Olivera's signing bonus of 28 Mil upfront, so Atlanta is only on the hook for 30-40 mil...  Between Kemp, Haren, Morse, Arroyo, and Morse they are basically paying more than 100 mil to players they may not ever see suit up.

It's amazing.

I know this, but they basically bought that pick by taking Morse's contract.  Like the Braves did in making the Arroyo/Toussant swap.

i got your point, but the yankees has been doing this for decades now, i don't see it change in near future.

credit to their GM for being creative

i got your point, but the yankees has been doing this for decades now, i don't see it change in near future.

credit to their GM for being creative

Agree.  This is what a forward thinking, intelligent front office does:  Maximize it's strengths.  I'm envious of the Dodgers' front office.  

Agree.  This is what a forward thinking, intelligent front office does:  Maximize it's strengths.  I'm envious of the Dodgers' front office.  

Friedman is smart -- but the ability to drop 350-400 mil on a single season is less brains and mostly financial brawn.  

The real question is whether or not they will continue to do this once they can no longer take the depreciation on contracts.

Friedman is smart -- but the ability to drop 350-400 mil on a single season is less brains and mostly financial brawn.  

The real question is whether or not they will continue to do this once they can no longer take the depreciation on contracts.

that Grandal for Kemp trade is pure genius, even with the spending ability, they will still need good scouting(which they are great at)

The MLB is in major need of a cap. It's not fair that they put in a "kind of" salary cap unless you don't give a damn about money like the Dodgers, it does no good. They can get good players just by eating other teams bad contracts.

Yeah, the current luxury tax scheme has the effect of exaggerating the competitive advantage of wealthy teams. That's because major market teams like LAD and NYY are generally the only ones who can afford to pay large amounts of luxury tax.

The luxury tax rate goes up dramatically based on the number of consecutive years over, but resets if the team is under the limit for even one year. The Yankees made a concerted effort to drop under the threshold in 2013 for this reason.

One interesting gimmick is for the purpose of the luxury tax, the average annual value of a players' contract is what is counted. However, when trades are made that involve sending cash as part of the deal, the cash changing hands in the trade is added to the tax liability of the paying team, and deducted from the receiving team on a year by year basis.

The Angels and Yankees exploited this in the Vernon Wells trade. Instead of paying the cash evenly in 2013 and 2014, the Angels sent almost all the money in 2013 -- exactly enough so that the Angels were just barely under the luxury tax cutoff themselves. The amount sent was actually more than the average annual value of the contract, meaning Wells counted negative for the luxury tax in 2013, when the Yankees planned to go under, and counted greatly in 2014 when the penalty for going over first year was low.

I haven't looked into it but it's possible salary relief cash sent to the dodgers as part of these deals is set to change hands all in 2016 or all in 2017 to help them go under the threshold and reset the rate.

Edited by ScottLux

We got a couple of journeyman outfielders who by all accounts are nice guys and easy to get along with. We gave up hardly anything in return.

I call that success!

/sarc

Considering we have no real trade assets that will not deplete or kill us in the future, I have no problem with the players acquired.  We have a crappy farm system with no real depth.