• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Twins (7/22/15) Trout BACK!!

Chuck

Despite the fact that it is not "Runs Batted Ins"?

It is not the "in" part that is plural, it's the "runs" part.

It can also be singular as in run batted in. "He had a run batted in along with two hits and a walk." or "He had an RBI along with two hits and a walk." So when you reduce it to an acronym there is no singular or plural definition so you can add the s to designate plural or multiple instances of a run batted in.

No it isn't. AP style, which is the broadcast standard states that RBIs is the correct way to say it.

Then the standard needs to be changed. We don't pluralize LOB, why do we have to pluralize RBI?

Although the point is most likely moot, because RBI as a standard category might soon be going the way of the dodo, as they don't accurately measure individual performances anyway.

@APStylebook: Plural of RBI is RBIs, which can be used on all references for runs batted in. #APStyleChat

Well, since I'm not a journalist, I don't have to follow the AP's rules.

To me, it doesn't make sense because you would never actually say "runs batted ins". It's like "mother-in-laws". You would never say that, so the plural is mothers-in-law.