• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Prioritizing Control In Search For Bat

SoWhat

If Aaron hicks could be had that's the type of player you blow your prospects on. That's exactly the player we need to be favorites along with the Royals. Speedy guy with OBP and doubles power, former first rounder. Just coming into his own in the big leagues.

Last 15 games: .271/.379/.479, BB% 13.8% and K% 12.1%!

Dodgers just activated Crawford

Now they have

Ethier, van slyke, puig, pederson, Guerrero, crawford listed as OF's on their 25 man. That's 6 OF's!

They optioned Brandon Beachy to Aaa.

Just saying

Guerrero makes the most sense to me, least amount of money owed....and they don't have any place to play him....his contract is screwy, he has an opt out if he's traded....depending on what the price is, I'd still consider him...

Hicks >>>> Rajai Davis

Hicks is a switch-hitter, and we need more lefty hitting.    Davis is a righty and turns 35 in the off-season.

Davis would likely require less to go back in exchange.    

Drawback is Buxton being DL'd until at least mid/late August.

Would the Twins still deal Hicks for a couple of pitching prospects (say Trop and Alcantara), with that in mind?

The Twins need starting pitching.

Guerrero makes the most sense to me, least amount of money owed....and they don't have any place to play him....his contract is screwy, he has an opt out if he's traded....depending on what the price is, I'd still consider him...

Guerrero has tanked big time after a big April-mid May, having a sub .500 OPS since then.

Kemp is about to turn 31, has accumulated about 1 WAR over the last 3 seasons, and is under contract for another 4 yrs/$86M after 2015 (!)... this is probably the worst possible contract we could take.

To say he would be an instant upgrade in LF is not even close to the truth either.  Kemp has been one of the worst defensive outfielders in the game for a while now.  He would also have to switch leagues and is basically a glorified DH at this point in his career. 

He's an instant upgrade over any other in house option we currently have. Sure, he's very streaky. Who isn't nowadays? 21 million AAV isn't terrible for the market now/in the next 4 years. Especially for what he could bring to the table. Obviously he's a wild card. We could get .850+ OPS Kemp or the Vernon Wellsesqe Kemp. 

Switching leagues? lol jesus christ. People still use that as an argument? Come on.

Guerrero has tanked big time after a big April-mid May, having a sub .500 OPS since then.

He'd be a big gamble....but you could put him in LF and let him sink or swim....he's not going to get that chance with the Dodgers....again, only if the price is cheap....even the Dodgers want to save a little money and they don't have any place to play him, so he might be cheap....

Edited by DMVol

I would not trade CJ, with Weave still such a big question mark.

While the staff of Richards, Shoe, Santiago, and Heaney is solid, there's very little playoff experience there. 

Last time Richards squared off against Scherzer last year, he was sweating bullets. 

At least CJ has some big game experience and I'd see him as a capable game 2 or game 3 starter. 

Last year Shoemaker was a rookie pitching in the postseason for the first time. His line: 6 IP, 1 ER, 6 K

Last year CJ Wilson was making his 10th career postseason start. His line: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 1 BB

Playoff experience means shit over actual talent and, well, balls. Look at what Yordano Ventura did in the playoffs last year. Same with Jason Vargas. Hell, look at what Ryan Vogelsong did in 2012 in his first ever playoff appearance.

Do you even know what you are saying?

CJ has all those playoff experience of getting shelled and those are so valuable right?

Did you even look up his playoff numbers and realize he has been one of the worst pitchers in the playoffs in recent history?

10 GS 1 W 6 L 5.26 ERA 1.49 WHIP.

I am aware of CJ's crappy playoff history and his weak performance last year in Game 3.

Still, Weaver is terrible right now. If you let CJ go in a trade and Weaver still sucks, then you have an extremely young/inexperienced rotation in Richards, Shoe, Heaney and Santiago. I'd feel much more comfortable with CJ in the mix and then you trot out the 3-4 hottest arms when the playoffs begin.

Is the Twins offense that good that they can be trading away major league talent who's also under club control btw. Hunter isn't going to be around forever.

I think they'll rather trade prospects in order to get pitching. Hicks to me is a pipedream.

Byron Buxton is a generational talent for the Twins. They really may not have a positional home to put Hicks in, once Buxton is back off the DL, making him a possible trade chip. Buxton's injury recovery may make this a moot point as AO pointed out though.

They basically have two of the same players in Arcia and Vargas and one is down on the farm while the other is on the bench. Sano is hitting DH for them right now.

If you have surplus players what good are they doing you in a playoff run other than depth pieces?

Different opinions though. I get it.

Every last one of those guys I listed has value. If you aren't able to recognize it, then I'm sorry.

You listed damaged goods and guys who's values are at an absolute low. Weaver? That's the exact type of arm teams are avoiding right now, Alcantara? Look at his numbers, why would anyone want him now (he should already be getting moved to the pen), Shoemaker's value is low, Rhoades and Smith yeah sure that's a guy with value but teams won't move a major league piece for them.

Not sure i would. Guerrero shows promise, but hes also sucking the last few months. Trading cj weakens the staff...id do it for a more guaranteed (or more likely) performer, but not for someone who "might" turn it around and help us.

It would be a gamble for sure....you'd be betting on a largely unproven guy and you'd have to also hope your starting pitching depth holds up w/out CJ....it would free up money for next year, which was the main rationale Alden Gonzales mentioned for shopping CJ...not sure what I would do....

Edited by DMVol