• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Morrissey

Fun fact of the day, if you type "I was happy" into Google it ends with "in a haze of a drunken hour"

Always have been a big fan. I think everyone knows and likes the famous ones, Bigmouth Strikes Again is probably my favorite of that tier.

Then there is the dandy convos about the gems everyone really likes. I think my favorite might be "This Charming Man", just a catchy tune that is a bass players dream.

Everyday Is Like Sunday, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, I'm So Sorry.

He/they have had some really solid tracks and hits.

Thanks, dude. Those are the first two songs from the Smiths that I recall hearing. I think I liked the instruments more than the vocals.

Sorry, Soto.

No worries. I supposed I shouldn't be surprised. I just had a conversation with a friend in Atlanta who grew up here and he said he was shocked by the numbers of people who didn't know fairly recognizeable bands from the time.

The Smiths aren't the hugest thing in the world.

i'd heard of the smiths but i hadn't heard any of their music. had the idea that they were a lot more hardcore or punk, and that's not a style i like. i'm not really much of an alternative fan, either. my brother probably likes them quite a bit. i'd rather listen to billy joel.

Yes, but "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" is one of their few upbeat songs.  As with most music, I generally don't get caught-up in the lyrics specifically because a lot of the time certain words are used to fill the tempo instead of what should have been there.  Except for country music; that shit's saying exactly what it's about! 

I was a huge Smiths fan growing-up, but have never gotten the chance to see them or Morissey.  I've come to terms with it tho, and realize that it keeps the mystery intact.

PS- One of the best covers of "How Soon is Now" is from Quicksand!  There's a live version on Youtube that's pretty amazing.

Yeah, There is a Light is one of their upbeat songs and it has the line, "And if a double-decker bus crashes into us." Although, tempo and melody-wise it is a happy-sounding song. In my opinion, I Know It's Over and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me are two of the best lyrics Morrissey has ever written.

Edited by Ray McKigney

Although it makes you want jump off a bridge, I'm partial to "This Night Has Opened My Eyes."  Great lo-fi approach.

"The Headmaster's Ritual," has great lyrics and are easy to identify with.  Basically about an a-hole teacher who thought he was the bee's knees, but took out his failures on the students (Morrissey, specifically, I'm guessing.).

And I love the bizarre lyrics to "Some Girls are Bigger than Others:"  "As Anthony said to Cleopatra when he opened a crate of ale...Oh I say."  And, "Lend me your pillow, the one that you dream on."  WTF?!?

"Some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers." Johnny Marr's guitar work in that song is so great. Toward the end of the song, with the over-lapping guitar parts, it is such an incredible way to end an album. After all these years, I have to say my favorite song on that album is Cemetry Gates. "So we go inside and we gravely read the stones. All those people, all those lives, where are they now? With loves and hates and passions just like mine. They were born and then they lived and then they died."

Edited by Ray McKigney

"Some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers." Johnny Marr's guitar work in that song is so great. Toward the end of the song, with the over-lapping guitar parts, it is such an incredible way to end an album. After all these years, I have to say my favorite song on that album is Cemetry Gates. "So we go inside and we gravely read the stones. All those people, all those lives, where are they now? With loves and hates and passions just like mine. They were born and then they lived and then they died."

Ray agree 100% on guitar work on some girls!

Yeah, There is a Light is one of their upbeat songs and it has the line, "And if a double-decker bus crashes into us." Although, tempo and melody-wise it is a happy-sounding song. In my opinion, I Know It's Over and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me are two of the best lyrics Morrissey has ever written.

"Suffer Little Children" is one of my favorite vocal/lyric songs of theirs.  The history of the song is even better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffer_Little_Children

• 2 weeks later...