• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Prelude to a Trade?

I would like to turn back the clock to see how indispensable you all thought RJ Alvarez was this time last year.

The difference is Jeff, that last year, our 7th inning options were Jepsen and Grilli.  R.J. Alvarez was highly valued and tabbed as the future closer.  But he was not on the major league roster, or impacting the immediate future.  Subtracting R.J. Alvarez didn't result in any negative value in 2014. 

Gott is on the major league club, and is impacting the Angels immediate future.  Subtracting Gott would result in a negative value in 2015. 

Sorry but the only relievers that you might put a tag line of indispensable on would be names like Scot Shields, Mariano Rivera, Aroldis Chapman, and Craig Kimbrel.

Every other reliever out there is a ticking time bomb and quite frankly if you need one you can always trade for one with another club that has a surplus. I like Gott a lot but he's not indispensable.

Sorry but the only relievers that you might put a tag line of indispensable on would be names like Scot Shields, Mariano Rivera, Aroldis Chapman, and Craig Kimbrel.

Every other reliever out there is a ticking time bomb and quite frankly if you need one you can always trade for one with another club that has a surplus. I like Gott a lot but he's not indispensable.

I agree with you in regards to the inconsistent nature of relief pitchers, however, I think it's pretty clear that Gott has been wonderful since arriving in the majors and has drawn numerous comparisons to Scot Shields, someone you believed to be indispensable.  Also, can we just take a moment to appreciate Shields for what he was....it was sad to see his career wind down.  He'd been so good for so long. 

Ok back to Gott.  I just don't think this team would be in a good position if it came down to Salas in the 7th inning.  That's a terrible idea.  I'd be alright with Morin, if he figured it out again, but he's been struggling for a while now.  Losing Gott would really hurt right now. 

The Angels as currently constructed are going to need a LF that hits at the top or in the middle of their lineup and is under contract for at least the next couple of years until we get a better read on their collection of OF in the low minors like Jahmai Jones, Chad Hinshaw, Nat Delgado, Miguel Hermosillo, Kyle Survance and Jared Foster.  Also, this may mean nothing, but Kaleb Cowart was starting in LF last night. 

As far as who fits that description, Ethier, Maybin, Revere etc. 

The good part is that there shouldn't be any shortage of available options this year.  But I don't know whether the front office will make a move.  The Stoneman era was marked with ultra-conservative promotions of prospects and a general unwillingness to even discuss trades.  We'll see if things are different now that he's back in charge but with a largely Dipoto-built staff around him. 

You sure you want that headcase on our team?  Talented as he is, you never know which Hanley Ramirez will show up to the ball park. The one that hits bombs and plays his butt off or the one that is a clubhouse cancer and lolligags it out there. 

I don't know, I think with Trout, Pujols and Calhoun he'd want to play his ass off, especially on a winning team. 

Having another middle of the order slugger behind Pujols would be fantastic! 

You sure you want that headcase on our team?  Talented as he is, you never know which Hanley Ramirez will show up to the ball park. The one that hits bombs and plays his butt off or the one that is a clubhouse cancer and lolligags it out there. 

And also that salary?    No thank you!

Just trade for Reddick or Cespedes already.

As much as Reddick would add a needed lefty bat and good OF defense, he will require a lot going back to the A'th in exchange because he isn't a FA until after 2016. 

Cespedes is really the most optimal off-season LF FA target.   Cespedes = Jose Guillen without the Guillen attitude problems.  

Upton will likely cost upwards of $150-200 million.

Or, we could focus on a speedy leadoff guy for LF since we have power with Pujols, Trout, and Calhoun going into next season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

@Alden_Gonzalez: #Angels tried to trade for Reddick before Dipoto's resignation, even tried to get the Red Sox involved, but couldn't. Maybe that changes.

@Alden_Gonzalez: To clarify: That trade proposal, where Red Sox would've been liaison like Dodgers were with Heaney, was attempted before Reddick's comments.

@Alden_Gonzalez: Never really got off the ground, of course, so the #Angels are still looking for a left-handed bat of some sort.

Damn... Number 1 reason why I was choked Dipoto left when he did... Would've liked to have seen him get us a bat first and I think he would've, I doubt Stoneman does anything.

I've always thought Arte would need to spend in order to get himself out of this hole he got himself into.

For example giving either Sox team a mulligan on a contract- White Sox on Melky and Red Sox on Hanley, while possibly acquiring something else in the deal like a Samardizja. If the Halos wanted Justin Upton maybe take BJ's contract and in return they'd be able to keep the little amount of prospects they have. But I don't think the Red Sox sell just yet as the East is anyone's and the Padres will wait it out till the last second and we need help now!

@

Damn... Number 1 reason why I was choked Dipoto left when he did... Would've liked to have seen him get us a bat first and I think he would've, I doubt Stoneman does anything.

Even if a trade happens now, it won't be because of Stoneman, I don't think he's running the show so much as keeping the office warm.  I think Stoneman may be here to  get a look at the two guys they are looking to as potential candidates to replace Dipoto..   If the Angels make a trade it will be because Servais or Klentak worked the deal IMO.

Reddick would have been awesome even though he looks like a used car salesman

he reminds me of the bad guys in the movie boys dont cry.

Id be stoked to get him though. No clue how real this year is for him, but hes a lefty thats likely to hit 20 for you, gets on base, and is a beast in the outfield. Only issue i could potentially see would be cost (obviously) and what to do with calhoun? Which of those guys would be good playing LF?

With the Yanks firmly in the AL East race (if you can call it that) they won't be selling. I expect them to be buyers though, probably acquire a SP.

Stoneman being in charge just bugs me. The Angels need help on offense, and his history of hoarding prospects, it's just a bad combination. The Angels may be the only team in baseball with too much pitching. They need to trade some of it while maintaining their elite pitching prospects.

Next year, they have Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Santiago, Shoemaker, Wilson, Weaver, Tropeano, Smith, Newcomb and Ellis all capable of being in the rotation. That's 11 pitchers in a sport where anything more than 8 deep is just dumb.

And beyond that, they still have guys like Rhoades, Gatto, Alcantara and DeLoach.

If the Angels were smart, they'd probably go about acquiring some bats using Shoe, Wilson, Smith, Rhoades, Alcantara and DeLoach.