• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels, Philles agreed to Ben Revere trade; Angels backed out

1. Trevor Gott, RHP, Angels — A few weeks ago the Phillies thought they had a deal with the Angels that would have sent Ben Revere west for Gott, who was then in Double A. The Angels pulled out of the deal at the last minute and tried to redirect the Phillies toward a starting pitching prospect, but that fizzled as well.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/07/04/these-stars-deserve-spot-this-year-showcase/N6QFSQpUzfSDXNAqdf1yCN/story.html#

Edited by SoWhat

This would've been a solid trade.

Revere got off to a slow start but has a solid average now and can steal bags. He has the speed we're lacking and his last name is not Joyce.

Sure, Revere isn't my first choice but he isn't a bad one either, I doubt Stoneman makes any trades so this is one I wish Jerry would've gotten done before leaving.

I am happy about gott being valued at least and that was when he was in AA...maybe better value now as he has shown shut down ability in the majors.

too bad that didn't happen back when we were not so taken with him

i can't believe it though?  think about it?  the phils only asking for a AA dude?   no     now of course i can see it.

But Mike still prefers the occasional tossed Salas.

Actually, when Mike has the lead he almost always goes to Gott.  Salas is used when were are trailing, or if the back end of the bullpen has been over used leading up to that moment.  You know at some point some team will get to Gott, then we will see how much his confidence gets shaken.  So far, he looks really good, and has been just as much help as Revere could have been, in my opinion.

It's a cliche but sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't get finalized. I can still remember Bavasi was so desperate for a closer that he tried to trade 5 players, including Troy Percival and J.T. Snow, for Rick Aguilera at the 1994 trade deadline and then tried to Percival, Garret Anderson and J.T. Snow during the 1994 offseason and luckily got turned down both times.

Edited by gurn67

It's a cliche but sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't get finalized. I can still remember Bavasi was so desperate for a closer that he tried to trade 5 players, including Troy Percival and J.T. Snow, for Rick Aguilera at the 1994 trade deadline and then tried to Percival, Garret Anderson and J.T. Snow during the 1994 offseason and luckily got turned down both times.

Unfortunately he did manage to trade Snow for Allen Watson..

Not what I heard, but ok. I mean I don't doubt the two teams discussed Gott but he certainly wasn't the only player discussed.

Here's how I understand it played out.

The Phillies were rather insistent upon receiving a starting pitcher, not a reliever. The Angels dangled Nate Smith only to be turned down. The Phillies wanted a SP with more upside, but was also AA/AAA ready. At the time, the Angels didn't have any of those which met the criteria (Chris Ellis was still in the Cal League). Amaro specifically said "let me know when you're ready to discuss Heaney or Tropeano".

The Angels never called back.

That was definitely a great non trade.

Tough call...Revere would a definite improvement over Joyce but Gott's stuff's pretty good. Time will tell. This doesn't sound like an Amaro offer though since he didn't ask for the #1 prospect like he does in every deal. Something is missing...it may have been part of an overall deal but I don't think Gott for Revere was the whole deal