• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Come from behind win at home and we get.....silence?

That was a great win last night. I thought for sure this message board would be on fire. I guess it's more fun being miserable.

Go Halos!!!

I like how you called it a come from behind win. Are you referring to how we were down 1-0 after 2.5 innings? Because up until the 5th or 6th I don't think I use the terms "come from behind" or "comeback". What happened was we had the lead and turned it over to our bullpen. We should have won but then the bullpen almost blew it again so we could have lost but then we ended up winning. I'm not sure how excited I'm supposed to get from that.

And then, of course, last night happens. That's why there's no excitement.

And then, of course, last night happens. That's why there's no excitement.

Bingo..

The typical Angels week goes like this...

M - squeaker win (Pujols and/or Trout do something)

T - squeaker loss (Pujols and/or Trout do something but it's not enough)

W - blowout loss (Pujols or Trout contained)

T - off day 

F - squeaker win (Pujols and/or Trout do something)

S - squeaker loss (Pujols and/or Trout do something but nobody else does)

S - blowout win (Someone besides AP and Trout shows up)

It's hard to get excited about mediocrity.

Last night's game was Exhibit A as to why people don't get excited about a game where the Angels "come back" from a 1-0 early deficit, take the lead, cough it up, and win on a late inning safety squeeze. Show me some consistency. Show me a winning streak that isn't immediately followed by an equivalent losing streak, then I'll be more excited.

One playoff appearance. 3 and out in the div series. With a top 5 payroll. Total crap.

just playing devils advocate, but what about the other 4 of the top 5 payrolls? How are they doing? Frieco and the cards have dominated the last decade or so. No one else has really done much more than we have. Red sox have a ring, but some really bad years sprinkled in, with a lot more money spent

At the risk of Jason calling me a superfan I just wonder what the point of being a fan is if you don't get excited over wins. I totally get that not everyone is like me, where I appreciate wins much more than I get pissed about losses. I just don't understand having a hobby that causes more frustration than joy. Then again a remember the 90's when we actually were a bad time unlike the last five years when we have been a solid major league team.

just playing devils advocate, but what about the other 4 of the top 5 payrolls? How are they doing? Frieco and the cards have dominated the last decade or so. No one else has really done much more than we have. Red sox have a ring, but some really bad years sprinkled in, with a lot more money spent

But the Red Sox DO have that ring. In fact, they have 3 of them in the last 11 years. That's a pretty good success rate, despite the fact that they suck this year, and sucked in the years bracketing that World Series win.

But the Red Sox DO have that ring. In fact, they have 3 of them in the last 11 years. That's a pretty good success rate, despite the fact that they suck this year, and sucked in the years bracketing that World Series win.

So then every other year we would have to talk about how shitty we are and in the WS years we would assume we're going to lose until we actually win. I guess that's better.

At the risk of Jason calling me a superfan I just wonder what the point of being a fan is if you don't get excited over wins. I totally get that not everyone is like me, where I appreciate wins much more than I get pissed about losses. I just don't understand having a hobby that causes more frustration than joy. Then again a remember the 90's when we actually were a bad time unlike the last five years when we have been a solid major league team.

It used to be that I was excited when they were in a pennant race in August, probably because that was a rarity in the 70s, 80s, & 90s.

However, since they have been in most races since 2002, I can probably speak for most Angel fans in saying that we've been jaded. It doesn't help when your team leads the league in wins...during the regular season...but manages zero during the postseason. It also doesn't help when we all know that this team should be playing better but thru a combination of hitters playing well below their career averages, bad in-game management, horrible baserunning blunders, and a pitching staff that leads the league in runs allowed with two outs (it ain't even close), this team, right now, is the definition of mediocre.

What I'm saying is that the Astros should be in our rear view mirror, they should be a nice story (that they're above .500) and that's it.

not arguing, was more making the point of the last 5 years (per nates post). In the past 7,8 years the sox have had a couple really bad seasons mixed in. Weve had 1. And im not arguing they dont have bragging rights over us, just used them as an example. Like i said, if youre not a cards or giants fan, nobody can claim much in terms of stability and year in contender over the last several years.

Just going by payroll and talent, the dodgers should have a ring by now over the last few seasons. They won a game last october to our none...is that really anything to brag about?

Who cares about the other teams?  Making the playoffs one season out of the last five and failing the one time they do is unacceptable with the talent this team has.  Though Dipoto did his best to gut this team.  

I think you are forgetting somebody

724f9ecb7aa19f5608aaea68cfab8bbe.jpg

I think what it comes down to is looking at the bigger picture. We won 98 games last year...no one cares anymore, and thats fine. So what makes that one season any less important than this one?

What im getting at is are we better organizationaly? So were mediocre at the big club this year, but are we btetter in the minors with optimism to be really good again in 2 years? I dont know because i dont follow the minors, but it seems like it with the pitching depth. In 2 years were looking aet with pitching (the hardest part to build), we'll still have trout, and the payroll should be a lot better balanced.

I felt the same way as a lot of you guys in 2013. Team sucked, fsrm was a wreck, payroll was philly-ish etc. But i think theyre quietly fixing a lot of things...its just not happening this year.

I still say stand pat, this team is more than a bat away from winning a ring...then again, it could be one bat away from at least still having a really good year. If it was for say upton, a great bat who we could sign long term id be for it. For a rental i say no

Who cares about the other teams? Making the playoffs one season out of the last five and failing the one time they do is unacceptable with the talent this team has. Though Dipoto did his best to gut this team.

im not saying anyone should care about another team, but how do you compare anything without a baseline? Baseball, money, job, etc.

So then every other year we would have to talk about how shitty we are and in the WS years we would assume we're going to lose until we actually win. I guess that's better.

It might be. I like pleasant surprises.

But look at what the Red Sox have done since after we won our World Series title: 12 playoff series wins (including the World Series titles).

Now compare that with the Angels: 2 playoff series wins.

I will take some bad years in between if it means that I'll be rooting for a team that has three titles and two other trips to the ALCS in 13 years.

Just about every year we have one of those runs where out of no where it seems to click and we go on a streak of winning 15 of 20 games. I can't see it happening this year based on LF, DH and inconsistent play from Aybar and Kole, but if it does happen we would be in the lead for the wild card.

Part of the issue that I (and probably many others have) with this organization was that despite the fact that it is now one of the big payroll teams in baseball, that payroll has been sorely mismanaged, especially during the Reagins years. We've been trying to be Yankees West while forgetting that the Yankees' run of success in the late 90s and early aughts was due to homegrown players that were the core of the team. They started with a farm system that produced pretty well.

We don't. It was gutted. Dipoto has been doing well trying to restock the arms, but we don't have any hitting prospects that are really worth a damn. That is a major part of the problem.

Instead, we've cost ourselves opportunities to restock the farm by handing money to the likes of Gary Matthews Jr, Steve Finley, Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, Vlad Guerrero, Albert Pujols, and Josh Hamilton. Yeah, Hunter and Vlad were fine, Abreu's first contract was decent, and Albert has certainly earned his money this year (to date). But many of these have cost draft picks.

Most of those picks wouldn't have worked out anyway, but some might have, and some might have allowed us to trade for players of need, instead of buying them. Now that we have Trout's and Pujols' contracts, we can't really rebuild and restock the farm, so it'll be more of the same...trying to find minor fixes in the bargain bin. Sometimes, they'll work out. Much of the time, they'll be Matt Joyce.