• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Cancels 60 Million Votes

My back of the envelope calculation method is rough, but here goes.

The top five candidates for AL third base have a combined 14 million votes, roughly.

The other ten candidates cannot possibly have more than 880,000 votes each (otherwise they'd be top-5.)  So let's be generous and add another 8.8 million votes.

Total votes cast:  22.8 million.

MLB just threw out three times as many votes as have actually been cast.  Minimum.

Cheating is surely not rampant.

Edited by hen3ry

i'll allude to the most famous line in the original jurassic park. royals fans were so busy figuring out if they could get the entire lineup into the all star game, they never stopped to think about if they should.

Edited by ukyah

as someone who hasn't been following the story that closely  - what's going on in KC? Has it been proven that a ton of Royals fans have been creating fake accounts and essentially stuffing the ballot boxes?

it has to do with Royals fans exploiting a loophole created by gmail's privacy settings. a missouri blogger posted instructions on how to set your address so that it disguises itself by adding a letter or number every time you hit submit.

something like that... 

not exactly cheating but not exactly honest. 

but still- who has time for that much voting? that's way too many captchas. 

It sounds like several people, including players and executives, are already trying to come up with ideas for a tweaked or completely overhauled system that still uses fan voting.  The most realistic was for the coaching staff of the game to pick a 'pool' of deserving players and then letting the fans pick the starters from that pool only, including the starting pitcher and possibly even the closer.

However, instead of the coaches picking a 'pool' of players, what about making the ballot only consist of players with the top 10 WAR at each position, including DH, and just let the coaches continue to choose all the pitchers and reserves?  That would ensure that the most productive players are voted on by the fans, including some of those average hitters that have a ridiculous dWAR getting a shot.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13131162/how-fix-major-league-baseball-all-star-game-vote

It sounds like several people, including players and executives, are already trying to come up with ideas for a tweaked or completely overhauled system that still uses fan voting.  The most realistic was for the coaching staff of the game to pick a 'pool' of deserving players and then letting the fans pick the starters from that pool only, including the starting pitcher and possibly even the closer.

However, instead of the coaches picking a 'pool' of players, what about making the ballot only consist of players with the top 10 WAR at each position, including DH, and just let the coaches continue to choose all the pitchers and reserves?  That would ensure that the most productive players are voted on by the fans, including some of those average hitters that have a ridiculous dWAR getting a shot.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13131162/how-fix-major-league-baseball-all-star-game-vote

that sort of assumes that anybody gives a shit about the all-star game in the first place.

Does Trout have relatives in KC?

I have it on good authority that he is so upset at the Angels for that low ball offer of 6 years and $150 million that once he is done playing out that contract that offended him so much, that he will be signing with the Royals, for $1 more ala Bob Boone.

that sort of assumes that anybody gives a shit about the all-star game in the first place.

As long as home field advantage continues to go to the winner, players and many fans will continue to care, so they're going to have to do something to get the best players on the field for this lame ass game.

I mentioned making the ballot the top 10 WAR totals at each position, but that would still be about 14-15 players for each position on the ballot.  It'd probably have to be somewhere between the top 6-8 WAR totals to not overcrowd the ballot, and possibly include some minimum requirements for number of plate appearances and/or games started.

I really do wish they'd get rid of the HFA rule so people could just go back to not caring.

I have it on good authority that he is so upset at the Angels for that low ball offer of 6 years and $150 million that once he is done playing out that contract that offended him so much, that he will be signing with the Royals, for $1 more ala Bob Boone.

its interesting that when interviewed trout refers to the angels as "the team" rather than "our team" or "my team" as in "i want to help the team win"