• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best pitching and Worst offense in AL

As of right now, the Halos have the best team ERA in the AL, and have scored the fewest runs per game.

The offense has been a disaster, as we all know. I am not terribly confident it will finish even in the top half by the end of the season.

But I didn't realize how solid the pitching has been. Despite pretty bad overall seasons from Weaver and Shoemaker, the pitching overall has been fantastic.

Edited by Chuck Richter

Perez isn't even that great of a hitter. He just looks great since he replaced Iannetta and his .100 BA. I'm not hating on Perez....he's hitting "enough" while providing good D at the backstop so he's kind of like another Aybar. His bat won't really stand out but it won't be terrible and you're OK with that because of their solid defensive play. They desperately need to find improvements to replace Joyce, Cron/Krauss, and Freese. Cowgill isn't good but he's their backup 4th OFer so nobody is expecting him to be some great hitter anyway. Problem is he's starting a lot because of just how pathetic Joyce has been

I don't see much optimism with this offense as currently constructed and I don't see much help in the minor leagues right now. Dipoto will have to yet again look outside the organization and trade for some additions.

This team isn't good enough to win a championship. MS is doing a outstanding job keeping this team above .500 baseball. A trade needs to happen soon. We're at least two bats away from a good offense.

You mean the pitching is doing an outstanding job of keeping the team above .500

This team can win a championship quite easily actually.  We have some of the most important ingredients for it.  Deep rotation, a true ace, great bullpen, solid fielders at important positions (SS, 1B, CF), a decent-good catcher (Perez), and of course the best player in baseball.

If we can acquire 1 dominant bat or 2 solid bats, we could make a run.  If not, we would have to win games 2-1 from here on out.

Calhoun, Trout, Aybar, Gia and Perez are fine.  Freese is a shade off of what he should be.  

In terms of generating runs from each spot in the order

Pujols is hurting us, but we are only down about 3 runs from the #3 spot

We are down about another 3 or 4 runs from the #4 spot and we are on a similar pace as last year for runs from the #5 spot.  

and down 2-3 from the six spot.  

It's the #7 and 8 spots that are truly a black hole.  Down about 25-30 runs as we have gotten almost nothing.  

Overall, we are down about 40 runs from where we should be relative to players numbers from last year.  +40 would put us in the top 6 in baseball.  

We can recover from the 10 or so we are down from 3-6 with a decent little run.  Pujols, Freese and Aybar need to pick it up a bit. 

LF and DH are just absolutely killing us.  It's like having two pitchers hitting in those slots.  

I didn't think one bat would make that much of a difference, but now I am seeing that it would.  League average numbers from the 7/8 spots and a shade of improvement from the others will do the trick to get us back to top 10.  That's how bad those two spots have been.  To the point that normal output would move us into the top ten.  

Get us a bat Jerry.  

This team isn't good enough to win a championship. MS is doing a outstanding job keeping this team above .500 baseball. A trade needs to happen soon. We're at least two bats away from a good offense.

For all of what, three days? That's hardly "keeping the team above .500."

Anyhow, here we are with the obvious problem being that Pujols and Hamilton are both huge disappointments. If those two had lived up even close to expectation this team wouldn't just be good, it would be great.

I agree with Quinlan above - this team needs either two good bats or one star caliber one. I suppose the hope is that Aybar, Freese, Joyce, and Pujols all improve. I mean this is the same team that led the majors in offense last year, minus an anemic Hamilton and Kendrick. Kendrick alone shouldn't make that much of a difference. But the key really is Pujols. Even returning to last year's level will help this club immensely.

It is pretty sad that the minor leagues cannot provide an alternative better than Joyce.

Of course it can, but can it provide better than a normal Joyce season? I think we will find out very soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see a move made after this road trip.

Do we miss Hamilton yet? As disappointing as he was for the Angels he was about average. Well we dumped him (rightfully so) like so many wanted before his relapse and now we have below average production and see what it is doing to us.

Calhoun, Trout, Aybar, Gia and Perez are fine. Freese is a shade off of what he should be.

We are down about another 3 or 4 runs from the #4 spot and we are on a similar pace as last year for runs from the #5 spot.

It's the #7 and 8 spots that are truly a black hole. Down about 25-30 runs as we have gotten almost nothing.

Overall, we are down about 40 runs from where we should be relative to players numbers from last year. +40 would put us in the top 6 in baseball.

We can recover from the 10 or so we are down from 3-6 with a decent little run. Pujols, Freese and Aybar need to pick it up a bit.

LF and DH are just absolutely killing us. It's like having two pitchers hitting in those slots.

I didn't think one bat would make that much of a difference, but now I am seeing that it would. League average numbers from the 7/8 spots and a shade of improvement from the others will do the trick to get us back to top 10. That's how bad those two spots have been. To the point that normal output would move us into the top ten.

Get us a bat Jerry.

Your #3 hitter batting around .230, your left fielder hitting .143 (after his recent surge), your veteran catcher who will get a lot of playing time with an OPS of .354, cleanup hitter batting .222, etc.

Team OPS of .637, last in the AL.

"Struggling" is an understatement for this offense.

This team can win a championship quite easily actually. We have some of the most important ingredients for it. Deep rotation, a true ace, great bullpen, solid fielders at important positions (SS, 1B, CF), a decent-good catcher (Perez), and of course the best player in baseball.

If we can acquire 1 dominant bat or 2 solid bats, we could make a run. If not, we would have to win games 2-1 from here on out.

There's still a couple of cracks in the pen, with Morin the most notable. Can we trust Salas for the 3rd spot in the pen?

Pujols NEEDS to hit pronto.

A $24 million salary should still net at least a low to mid .800s OPS, NOT a .700 OPS.

Krauss seems totally lost at the plate.

Joyce at least has been getting a few hits lately, still many moons to go though.

Calhoun, Trout, Aybar, Gia and Perez are fine.  Freese is a shade off of what he should be.  

It's the #7 and 8 spots that are truly a black hole.  Down about 25-30 runs as we have gotten almost nothing.  

Overall, we are down about 40 runs from where we should be relative to players numbers from last year.  +40 would put us in the top 6 in baseball.  

We can recover from the 10 or so we are down from 3-6 with a decent little run.  Pujols, Freese and Aybar need to pick it up a bit. 

LF and DH are just absolutely killing us.  It's like having two pitchers hitting in those slots.  

I didn't think one bat would make that much of a difference, but now I am seeing that it would.  League average numbers from the 7/8 spots and a shade of improvement from the others will do the trick to get us back to top 10.  That's how bad those two spots have been.  To the point that normal output would move us into the top ten.  

Get us a bat Jerry.  

This. Pujols is killing us big time, as is LF and DH. 

We got away with getting little to no production from LF and DH last season and scored the most runs in the league, but that's because Pujols was actually doing well after a slow April and despite little production from LF/DH we did get some timely hits to win ball games. 

Dipoto needs to work the phones ASAP and get us some help. Problem is, it's too early for teams to scrap their season and rebuild.