• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sean Newcomb

Adam

@KyleAGlaser: First impression of Newcomb? Man he makes everything look easy. Fluid delivery, no gimmicks, just good, simply mechanics

@KyleAGlaser: Sean Newcomb's FB sitting 90-94 with some cut inside to righties. Changeup sitting 78-83 right now. @66ersBaseball #Angels

@KyleAGlaser: Second impression? Good lord what a changeup. Thing freezes and drops, batters flailing. Already, I'm buying into Newcomb. #Angels

@KyleAGlaser: Newcomb's changeup is ridiculous. Easy arm action identical to fastball so can't be picked up, then it just dies. Lot of bad swings #Angels

They sure are taking things slow. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me since he was already pretty polished coming out of college.

What does being polished or not have to do with workload?  Not sure I'm following, it's not like he had piled on the innings prior to this season.

He maxed out at 93 innings in college, took most of the summer off and then tossed less than 20 innings in the minors.  A jump to even 140 innings this year would be nearly a 50% increase in his workload.   My guess is they are watching his pitch counts and trying to keep him from being fatigued, since injuries tend to happen more often than not when a player is fatigued.  

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=sean-newcomb-1

Edited by Inside Pitch

Also, despite the tremendous upside Newcomb possesses, let's not pretend he entered the pros with the same degree of refinement as his peers from Stanford or ASU. The time he's spent in A Ball has been good for him.  His delivery has become much more consistent, and while his BB/9 has been poor, he's battled out there in every appearance.  He shows the kind of spirit it takes to work yourself out of a jam and continue putting up zeroes.  I know it doesn't show up in the box score but this kid handles himself quite well on the mound, and definitely should do well in the majors. 

He actually didn't get a ton of innings in college.  Which is a good thing btw.  

My guess is that he is slated to spend the entire year in the minors ramping up his innings.  Taking it slow makes sense.  He had stuff to work on and they wanted him in an environment to be able to do that.  Work through situations where he's getting a feel for his stuff.  Not toss him to the wolves where he was taxing himself to a level where he couldn't find a rhythm.  

I bet they start considering another promotion after about 8-10 starts at high A depending on how he does.  If all goes well, he probably gets moved to AA and make 8-10 starts there to finish the season.  At that point, he'll be challenged a bit more and it will give him a taste of some more polished and talented players.   

Next year, he'll either start at AA for a few games and get moved up or got to AAA outright and he'll be one of the first guys up to take someone's place if need be.  

I could see the Angels trading Santiago, Shoe or Wilson this offseason for some offensive help.  Then letting guys like Skaggs, Trop, Heaney and Newcomb fill the rest of the rotation and become depth.  They also have Smith, Deloach, McGowin and a few other working their way up.  

They'll have the depth to acquire a preston tucker or someone like that who is ready to make the jump.