• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Arbitrator reportedly to decide if Hamilton goes to rehab

I tend to agree with this. I think outpatient programs like AA and NA that acknowledge the illness AND work on personal responsibility and accountability might be better for a lot of people. If they kick drugs and don't address whatever drove them to use drugs, they'll just go on to relapse or to be addicted to something else.

you are making the assumption that inpatient rehab doesnt' do this and this is completely wrong.

Rehab should be reserved for addicts who have hit rock bottom and have no other recourse, not some incredibly wealthy man who did cocaine a month or two ago.

I don't really know how I feel about the concept of rehab. On one hand, addiction is a disease. On the other, rehab efficacy rates are remarkably low. All it does is enable people and teach them how to manipulate. Addicts typically have underlying issues like depression and personality disorders that aren't addressed in those settings.

so access to rehab should be income-based? All it does is teach them how to manipulate?

you would be much better off is you just state that you have absolutley no idea what rehab entails

you are making the assumption that inpatient rehab doesnt' do this and this is completely wrong.

I'm sure the good ones do, but is it even enough time? It can take some people years to chisel through all of the baggage that is causing them to use and figure out how to change their coping strategies. They're not going to be in rehab for years - one would hope, anyway. So there might need to be something after rehab to really get into that work.

Regarding inpatient rehab - I once worked in a facility where a one-time child TV star was sent for treatment. She got the star treatment while she was there, sleeping whenever she wanted and she was not required to attend group therapy sessions. Needless to say, it wasn't very effective.

She died of a prescription drug overdose several years later.

I'm sure the good ones do, but is it even enough time? It can take some people years to chisel through all of the baggage that is causing them to use and figure out how to change their coping strategies. They're not going to be in rehab for years - one would hope, anyway. So there might need to be something after rehab to really get into that work.

treatment doesn't end when the addict walks out of the door.

Regarding inpatient rehab - I once worked in a facility where a one-time child TV star was sent for treatment. She got the star treatment while she was there, sleeping whenever she wanted and she was not required to attend group therapy sessions. Needless to say, it wasn't very effective.

She died of a prescription drug overdose several years later.

For some reason, I thought of Dana Plato when I read this...

treatment doesn't end when the addict walks out of the door.

Hopefully not, but some people don't do the work after they leave the inpatient facility and that makes all the difference. The ones I know that have not been as successful have been the ones that have thought a month in rehab on its own was a magic cure. In contrast I know recovered alcoholics that will go to AA meetings even when they're on cruise ships and have made a commitment to do longterm work and it's not a surprise that they stay sober.

Rehab should be reserved for addicts who have hit rock bottom and have no other recourse, not some incredibly wealthy man who did cocaine a month or two ago.

I don't really know how I feel about the concept of rehab. On one hand, addiction is a disease. On the other, rehab efficacy rates are remarkably low. All it does is enable people and teach them how to manipulate. Addicts typically have underlying issues like depression and personality disorders that aren't addressed in those settings.

Well said. I see no way in which rehab can help Josh here. Seems like a total PC move more than anything.

Can both options be levied on Hamilton? Give him 30-60 days rehab and then subsequently suspend him 25,50 games, or the season? My take is he needs rehab and help, but should also suffer the consequences of his transgressions with a suspension of at least 50 games. He should use the time away from the game to get his personal/family life in order during the suspension. Doing cocaine is not taking care of your body and detrimental to the team. He won no points IMO by admitting to it prior to a test. He knew it would be positive, how is that any better?

Clearly he doesn't have the told to stay sober.   Going into a 30-day detox won't do much for him, unless he's really been hitting the junk.

He needs outpatient substance abuse recovery programs.

those 2 courses of action aren't mutually exclusive. in fact, outpatient treatment generally follows inpatient care. it's not like they just say:" well, your 30 days are over. see ya!"

Mom has the reality show, Dad is an addict.  Wonder who is raising the 4 little girls?  Josh Hamilton is a very selfish person.

Addiction 101. At the start of recovery the addict/alcoholic realizes just how selfish they are. It is one of the more glaring personality traits of the alcoholic/addict. I could share countless stories of selfish acts that would curl your toes. Although, just being aware of one’s selfishness is not a cure. It takes a fair amount of time and constant awareness to overcome such tendencies.  

My experience is that most in recovery stop working at it, figuring they've overcome the beast. Look how well my life is now. All the while the beast sits quietly gaining strength, waiting for a moment of weakness. 

Addiction 101. At the start of recovery the addict/alcoholic realizes just how selfish they are. It is one of the more glaring personality traits of the alcoholic/addict. I could share countless stories of selfish acts that would curl your toes. Although, just being aware of one’s selfishness is not a cure. It takes a fair amount of time and constant awareness to overcome such tendencies.  

My experience is that most in recovery stop working at it, figuring they've overcome the beast. Look how well my life is now. All the while the beast sits quietly gaining strength, waiting for a moment of weakness. 

Any time you want to see the beast he's right there in the mirror.