• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire Kyle Kubitza from the Braves

Kyle Kubitza, 3b

Born: July 15, 1990. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 215. Drafted: Texas State, 2011 (3rd round). Signed by: John Barron.

Few players have developed more impressively over the last few years in the organization than Kubitza, whose brother Aaron pitches in the Tigers system. The highest-drafted position player in Texas State history blossomed in his third full pro season in 2014 at Double-A Mississippi. In addition to hitting 35 points above his career average, he led the Southern League in on-base percentage (.405) and walks (55), placed second in triples (11) and ranked fourth in runs (76). A fiery player, Kubitza combines a smooth line-drive swing from the left side with one of the best eyes at the plate in the organization. His power has increased with experience and he uses his quick wrists to drive the ball in the gaps. He can be exploited with a minor hitch in his swing, and he can be too patient with inconsistent umpires, leading to high strikeout totals. Though not a quick-twitch athlete, Kubitza runs well with excellent instincts on the basepaths. He has one of the strongest infield arms in the game, with soft hands that suit him at third base. He moves well to his left but tends to boot the occasional routine ball.

Well, they have a 3B prospect now at least. Looks like he can become a nice solid average player which is good enough at the 3B position. Is he good defensively? If he can just be an average hitter with good defensive skills, he'll be very valuable to this team going forward

It sucks to lose Sanchez but he's so far away from the majors that I'm not really worrying about losing him and will probably just completely forget about him altogether by the time he eventually does(if he does) make it to the bigs

Edited by bloodbrother

21 SB

Not bad.

I wouldn't get too ecstatic about the stolen bases because from 2011-2014, in the Minors, he only had a 61.3% success rate. Since it is widely know that you need to be 70% or above for steals to make sense I suspect the Angels will tone down his base stealing a bit and help him to pick better spots to do it in. It wouldn't surprise me to see him complete 10-15 steals a year with a success rate closer to 70%-75%.

Sucks to Sanchez go but guys who are years away are so risky. Who was that lefty who was our #1 prospect and never even made it to the majors? It was just a few years ago. I think he's out of the game now

Trevor Reckling! 

Here's BA's top Angels prospects for the last decade. They had him #2 the same year we ranked him #1. 

TOP PROSPECTS OF THE DECADE Year Player, Pos. 2014 Org. 2005 Casey Kotchman, 1b Out of baseball 2006 Brandon Wood, ss Sugar Land (Atlantic) 2007 Brandon Wood, ss Sugar Land (Atlantic) 2008 Brandon Wood, ss Sugar Land (Atlantic) 2009 Nick Adenhart, rhp Deceased 2010 Hank Conger, c Angels 2011 Mike Trout, of Angels 2012 Mike Trout, of Angels 2013 Kaleb Cowart, 3b Angels 2014 Taylor Lindsey, 2b Padres

I wouldn't get too ecstatic about the stolen bases because from 2011-2014, in the Minors, he only had a 61.3% success rate. Since it is widely know that you need to be 70% or above for steals to make sense I suspect the Angels will tone down his base stealing a bit and help him to pick better spots to do it in. It wouldn't surprise me to see him complete 10-15 steals a year with a success rate closer to 70%-75%.

Reports say he can improve on that %.

On 1/8/2015 at 5:59 PM, Shane said:

Don't like this trade. Two 24 year olds who project as bench players for a high upside lefty. Thought we could get better for Sanchez. Don't like this move.

These kinds of trades take a lot of nads....or stupidity   With Sanchez, there seems to be so much upside but at 17, there is so much more risk, particularly after the increase in velocity.  I think you may end up liking Kubicza more than you think.  He's not young but he wasn't really old for the league and those triple slash lines are actually VERY impressive given the park he played in.  His home park makes Arkansas look downright hitter friendly.   HR rates of 73/58 (100 being average), runs, 2Bs/3Bs, LD rates -- all below 100...    Check these out http://statcorner.com/team/430/2014/Mississippi%20Braves.  There are warts too, but risk is risk.

Seems like a clear case of trading away a high ceiling for a high floor..   

Why would you say an extension is necessary for the trade to balance out?

I just like Jose Rondon that much. I'd much rather have the rest of his career than Street for a season and a half.

The move that turned the bullpen around last season was Frieri for Grilli. That was a brilliant move by Dipoto.