• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire Kyle Kubitza from the Braves

Joe Torres also had a decent start, at a higher level.  17 year old starting pitchers, even if they are highly touted, are long shots. 

Bob Feller started his MLB career at 17 so it is doubtful that Sanchez will ever amount to anything given he is not even in High A.

jumping_the_shark.png

Don't think they will do it at the deadline, unless they fall out of contention, but perhaps they look into moving him right now.

Yeah, there's also that. I'm not really sure what we'd flip Freese for at the moment though. The most logical move would be to flip him for a prospect or two we could then include in a package for another starter or a second baseman.

Another possibility is Kubitza comes up at some point and gets ABs against RHP by playing him at 3B and sticking Freese at DH. That could also work when/if Hamilton gets injured if we think Joyce can play in the outfield.

his swing is somewhat Chipper esque.  I'm no scout, but his swing is pretty nice once he gets his hands into position.  He does some weird swirly hitchy thing with his hands as a timing mechanism.   Lots of guys start high, drop down, and then come back up but his seems a little more noisy.

Anyway, I think I'll stick to my day job.  

This will be the first time in the Dipoto era where we will likely get to see what kind of skill he and his scouting team have in regards to adding young unproven or less proven position players and their actual impact .  Up until now, he's added Pujos, Hamilton, Freese and Iannetta.  All established guys.  

Now we will likely get to see some new young blood trying to earn pt.  

his swing is somewhat Chipper esque.  I'm no scout, but his swing is pretty nice once he gets his hands into position.  He does some weird swirly hitchy thing with his hands as a timing mechanism.   Lots of guys start high, drop down, and then come back up but his seems a little more noisy.

This will be the first time in the Dipoto era where we will likely get to see what kind of skill he and his scouting team have in regards to adding young unproven or less proven position players and their actual impact .  Up until now, he's added Pujos, Hamilton, Freese and Iannetta.  All established guys.  

I get an Eric Hinske vibe.

his swing is somewhat Chipper esque. I'm no scout, but his swing is pretty nice once he gets his hands into position. He does some weird swirly hitchy thing with his hands as a timing mechanism. Lots of guys start high, drop down, and then come back up but his seems a little more noisy.

This will be the first time in the Dipoto era where we will likely get to see what kind of skill he and his scouting team have in regards to adding young unproven or less proven position players and their actual impact . Up until now, he's added Pujos, Hamilton, Freese and Iannetta. All established guys.

I get an Eric Hinske vibe.

Looks like Barry Bonds to me.

Lots of swings & misses in that video, and lots of pop fouls. One well hit ball. Obviously the statistical record is a better indicator than one short video but this was an unimpressive sample. Most major leaguers don't swing and miss all that often.

It seems the power ceiling on this kid is higher that what you'd get from just looking at his numbers.  But yeah, he's gonna whiff a shitload. 

That video featured him swinging and missing a lot but it doesn't reflect his slash line in the AFL of .305/.431/.458/.888. You should also take note that was only 19 games and 59 at bats for the entire AFL season.

This is a funny league to watch since it starts well after the minor leagues have wrapped up and goes for about 6 weeks. Teams are compilations of players from 5 teams each and the coaching staff is just as random. So there is little that any player knows about his teammates, competition or park factors. It is like a very organized pickup game. Results can be random.

I love the walks. Kubitza is the type of less heralded prospect that surprises at the major league level - think Napoli or Calhoun. I'm getting that sort of vibe.

I figure that he'll get at least 150 or so major league plate appearances this year, maybe more if there's an injury. But Scioscia will want to see him, and they'll want him to get a taste of the show so that he has a chance to adjust and contribute next year.

I hope he just destroys the PCL and gains confidence and perhaps a little refinement to his game. As for his statusas a prospect, I'll put it like this....

Alex Yarbrough is universally liked in the organization. Scouts, coaches, the front office and fans alike believe he'll be a starting 2B. Kubitza is a better rated prospect than Yarbrough. That's how excited we should be for Kubitza.

It seems the power ceiling on this kid is higher that what you'd get from just looking at his numbers.  But yeah, he's gonna whiff a shitload. 

I'm just glad that he doesn't whiff as often as Joey Gallo does (over 40% of the time).

I know that K's are blown off more than they used to be, but Gallo seems to be Mark Reynolds II. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

According to that article on The Hard Ball Times last week, that estimated a prospects likelihood of making the major leagues, and estimating their career WAR, Kubitza has a 75% chance of making the big leagues, but just a 9% chance of putting up more than 4 WAR over his career. The total is estimated to be 2.4. 

The stat does not consider how he rates defensively or the extreme nature of his home park.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/katoh-forecasting-a-hitters-major-league-performance-with-minor-league-stats/

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

I heard he's not that great at 3b defensively.

Seems like his bat would fit better at 2nd base. 

Patient hitter, capable of drawing walks with doubles power and good speed.

Is he capable of playing 2nd base?

Edited by Poozy