• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels expect to get last laugh in Heaney deal

AngelsWin.com

CJ is tradable as long as they are willing to pick up some of his contract and it won't be as much as people on here think it would have to be. If the Angels picked up $8 million that leaves CJ at two years $30 million. Last year he was bad, but he has a track record of success and worse pitchers have gotten more for longer.

Unless Tony Reagins gets a job somewhere else (insert "not our money" reference here) we're not trading CJ by eating such a small amount of his contract. Would Wilson get 2/30 on the open market now? Hell no. I think he's totally tradeable, but we're looking at eating at least $18 million to make it work.

Yes he would or he would get 3 years $40 million. Think of all these average pitchers without his track record that got big contracts recently. Scott Feldman got 3 years $30 million, his track record isn't as good as CJ's. Ricky Nolasco got a $14 million contract. Ervin Santana was given over $40 million. Pitchers with past success given tons of money.

Yes he would or he would get 3 years $40 million. Think of all these average pitchers without his track record that got big contracts recently. Scott Feldman got 3 years $30 million, his track record isn't as good as CJ's. Ricky Nolasco got a $14 million contract. Ervin Santana was given over $40 million. Pitchers with past success given tons of money.

All of those guys got those contracts after good years. CJ is coming off a second half where he was about as difficult to hit as a ball on a tee. You'd struggle to think of an example of a 34-year-old pitcher, coming off a replacement level season, got a contract anywhere near as high as 2/30.

I disagree. He would maybe get 2 years 15 million total as a reclamation project from some team. No one would give that guy 15 mil a season. That's insanity.  Ervin Santana has had two consecutive solid seasons believe it or not

Edited by Butcher'd

Wilson has shown no sign of deteriorating stuff. I'd say he has a 50/50 shot at rebounding into a #3/4 starter. We just saw a RHP with injury troubles but equal upside in Justin Masterson get 11.5 million. CJ on the open market right now is worth 2/26.

If the Angels are willing to eat 15 million of the remaining 38 million, they'd not only be able to trade him, they'd also get a decent prospect in return.

There are a lot of contenders and fringe contenders that would sacrifice a good AA bat to have CJ Wilson under contract for 2/23. I think people that see his value any lower than that are either unaware of the current pitching market this offseason or are just bitter.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

I say move CJ now because if he has another bad season we are stuck with him in 2016, and with Skaggs coming back in 2016 there is no room for CJ. We should eat 12 million or so and package him and Freese to SF for whatever prospect and then sign Headley. It would be an instant defense upgrade and you could slide him into clean up spot in the order to take some pressure off Hamilton. 

Wilson has shown no sign of deteriorating stuff. I'd say he has a 50/50 shot at rebounding into a #3/4 starter. We just saw a RHP with injury troubles but equal upside in Justin Masterson get 11.5 million. CJ on the open market right now is worth 2/26.

If the Angels are willing to eat 15 million of the remaining 38 million, they'd not only be able to trade him, they'd also get a decent prospect in return.

There are a lot of contenders and fringe contenders that would sacrifice a good AA bat to have CJ Wilson under contract for 2/23. I think people that see his value any lower than that are either unaware of the current pitching market this offseason or are just bitter.

I'm not sure about the bitter part, but Nibs has indeed had half of a good season in 2012, good season in 2013, and two good months in 2014.   That is pretty much 60+% of the time that he was good.    That would seem to = about 2 years/$25-30 million, IF he has a decent enough two months rebound to start off 2015.