• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taking Stock (25-man roster)

Angelsjunky

If we have Wilson and Santiago starting the season in the rotation we are in trouble. One of them needs to be traded or demoted to the bullpen

Wilson was good last year before he got hurt around the beginning of June. At the end of May he had a 3.05 ERA. After a bad start against Houston where he didn't make it out of the 3rd, he pitched an excellent game against the White Sox (1 Run in 7 IP). The Braves got him for 4 runs in 6 innings in his next start, then had an excellent start against the Indians (1 run in 7 IP). He either got hurt after this start, or in his next one, as in the next four starts he allowed 21 runs in 16 2/3 innings. That's an 11.34 ERA. He then went on the DL for a sprained ankle and returned a month later. CJ had never missed a start until this season. Even in with a couple of bad starts factored in, he had a 3.34 ERA before this run of 4 starts.

When he returned in the second half, it was clear he still wasn't healthy. His season should be split by the first fifteen starts, which was 99.67 innings and a 3.34 ERA (Just over 6 2/3 IP per start) and his second 16 starts, which is 51 ER in 76 innings. (just over 4 2/3 IP per start, 6.04 ERA).

It's not that he suddenly forgot how to pitch to such drastic results. He had an ankle issue, but there was something else going on, that he wasn't talking about.

And Santiago was excellent in the second half. He should've had the 3rd playoff start. In 12 starts and 3 relief appearances he had a 2.98 ERA. He had good months of June, July, August, and had one disaster of an outing in September, but was otherwise excellent. 

For a pitcher under the age of 25, I don't know what you are expecting. Both of these guys are legit pitchers. Wilson may be on the downside of his career, but Santiago definitely is on the way up. Richards had a 4.16 ERA in his third season, should we have cut ties with him before last year too? 

Kendrick, Beckham.

Kendrick did have 14 SB last year, which he also had in 2012, 2011, and 2010. 

Beckham had averagd 6 SB a year in his career. Neither were particularly considered speedsters, like say Dee Gordon.

Green doesn't steal a lot of bases, but Rutledge and Featherston are both capable base stealers. 

Kendrick's career OBP was usually in the .335 range, but last year he really improved and went to .347 which matched his career high, with a batting average that was thirty points lower than when he last had a OBP that high. 

Still, Rutledge has killed the ball the last four seasons in the minors, to a .333/.413/.506 line, which does include some inflated stats from time in Colorado Springs. 

Green, like Rutledge, didn't particularly impress in the majors last year with the bat, but has a career minor league line, .309/.357/.473 with a .904 OPS last season in Salt Lake. 

Featherston, should be at least capable with the bat.

Kendrick did have 14 SB last year, which he also had in 2012, 2011, and 2010. 

Beckham had averaged 6 SB a year in his career. Neither were particularly considered speedsters, like say Dee Gordon...

Thanks for the response.  I'm not convinced any of the new additions, save for Rutledge, will play much this year and he's apparently going to compete for 2B with Green and bat towards the bottom of the order.  So I just don't see any speed anywhere in the lineup (especially if they aren't going to let Trout run).  I find it hard to believe they are going into ST with 4 catchers and an extra pitcher, as well.  It feels like there's another move hanging out there. 

Scored the highest amount of runs last year in the majors, and have changed one starter.

I hate this logic.  We were 4th in the AL in the 2nd half in runs scored.  Many guys tailed off including Trout and Hamilton.  Its not safe to assume we have the same kind of production next year from all 9 guys.  Not to mention, all position players were terrible in the ALDS.  

Given that Pujols is still declining, Trout is getting less superhuman, Hamilton still sucks, we have an unproven 2B, a DH with zero plate discipline, yeah id say theres room to improve.

I fear that Trout will become like Vlad Guerrero used to be in the Angels lineup.  A dominant force with zero protection in the lineup around him.  We led the majors in runs, we also had the guy who led the league in runs scored and batted in.  Just imagine what our lineup would look like if Trout missed a month of the season.  

Is this the Opening Day roster or does Dipoto have more up his sleeve?

I'll do this as depth chart of players we could possibly see in the majors in 2015, with bold face being the probable 25-man roster and capitals being the likely starter.

C: IANNETTA, Perez, Butera, Bandy

1B: PUJOLS, Navarro

2B: GREEN, Rutledge, Yarbrough

SS: AYBAR, Stamets

3B: FREESE, Field

LF: HAMILTOE, Cowgill

CF: TROUT

RF: CALHOUN, Robertson

DH: CRON

UT: Featherston, Krauss, O'Malley

Rotation: RICHARDS, WEAVER, SHOEMAKER, WILSON, SANTIAGO, Tropeano, Heaney, Rucinski, Alvarez, Sanabia, Snodgress, N Smith, (Skaggs)

Bullpen: STREET, SMITH, RASMUS, MORIN, JEPSEN, RAMOS, SALAS, Pestano, Herrera, Bedrosian, McBryde, Reynolds

Any changes need to be made? One glaring possible hole for me is if Freese gets injured. Presumably Green or Rutledge could fill in in a pinch, but the Angels have no one in the minors that's close to ready.  I put Field there, although don't know his status.

Also, as noted in another thread, there's one-too-many relievers in that bullpen, but I have no idea who the odd man out is - but Pestano seems most likely to start in the minors if all stay. ,or possibly one of Jepsen, Salas, or Pestano is traded.

The other very short term 3B option is Pujols. But that's not the sort of thing you'd want to be doing for more than a couple of games.

I agree with others that Pestano will make it. I think Krauss makes it over Navarro as well. They seem to love the guy and surely we saw enough from Navarro last year to know that a guy who is a liability in the outfield and can't really hit isn't someone you need on the roster, even if he can play 1B pretty well. I'd rather have Featherston or O'Malley over Navarro too.

Liability in the outfield?

The other very short term 3B option is Pujols. But that's not the sort of thing you'd want to be doing for more than a couple of games.

I agree with others that Pestano will make it. I think Krauss makes it over Navarro as well. They seem to love the guy and surely we saw enough from Navarro last year to know that a guy who is a liability in the outfield and can't really hit isn't someone you need on the roster, even if he can play 1B pretty well. I'd rather have Featherston or O'Malley over Navarro too.

Opening day

Calhoun

Trout

Pujols

Hamilton

Aybar

Freese

Rutledge

Iannetta

Bench

Butera

Green

Cowgill

Navarro/Krauss/Robertson (revolving door during season)

Rotation

Weaver

Shoemaker

Wilson

Heaney

Santiago

Bullpen

Street

Smith

Jepsen

Morin

Salas

Pestano

Ramos

A few things here

1) You really don't think Green will be the opening day starter?

2) Richards hasn't had any setbacks, and appears on track to start one of the first 3 games of the season.  At this point is there any reason to believe he wont be back opening day?  

3) I know Jepsen was solid overall last year, but he still scares me late in games.  He really didnt finish the season well at all.  A 3.48 ERA in the 2nd half, mainly due to a 7+ ERA in September.  And then in the playoffs, he gives up a huge late inning homer.  The thought of him as a 7th inning man isnt that settling.  

2) Richards hasn't had any setbacks, and appears on track to start one of the first 3 games of the season.  At this point is there any reason to believe he wont be back opening day?  

Yes, because Sosh said so during the Winter Meetings.

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR

#Angels Mike Scioscia said he doesn't expect Garrett Richards by opening day, but within first month or 6 weeks.

Yes, because Sosh said so during the Winter Meetings.

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR

#Angels Mike Scioscia said he doesn't expect Garrett Richards by opening day, but within first month or 6 weeks.

Yes but Dipoto also said he expects Richards by opening day and said Scioscia is more comfortable expecting the worst.

As far as richards, i cant say exactly what ive been told, but was told a while back (pre announcement) that the rumors of his knee keeping him sidelined all winter were way overboard, and he should be back to normal come spring. Take it with a grain of salt. The person who told me isnt a doctor. Hes someone very connected though.....

That said, im always good for planning conservatively. So fletchers rotstion looks ok to me and assuming richards is back by may lets say

Richards could be back by opening day but that's the best case scenario. My over-under is about April 18.

As for Green-Rutledge, I think the Angels feel Rutledge is better than Green. It's not such a gap that they would hand him the job over Green, regardless of spring, but I think they expect Rutledge to be better.

I wouldn't be incredibly shocked if Featherston makes it over Green, just since Green can be optioned and Featherston can't.

As for Jepsen, don't put too much stock in the roles. Those will be fluid all season. And I woukdnt read anything into one-month performance (10 innings?) for a reliever.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

Jeff, why are the Angels seemingly uninterested in Chase Headley? To me, he makes so much sense it is a no-brainer. The loss of Kendrick really weakens the infield defense, and Headley would help with that. Headley is left handed, which our right-handed heavy lineup could use. We have no long term solution at third base, and even Freese has only one more year until free agency. We have more payroll room now. And if they signed Headley, they could presumably get at least something moderately useful in return for Freese.

It just seems to make a lot of sense to me, and I don't understand why the Angels seemingly have no interest in pursuing him.

I'd love to hear your opinion on the issue.

Edited by wopphil

I haven't asked Dipoto specifically about Headley since they traded Kendrick, but he said repeatedly and flatly that he's not interested in any FA's "right now." (I expect that could change, most likely if someone makes an offer for CJ for clears up more money, in my opinion.)

However, I really don't think they'd want Headley because, although he is better than Freese defensively, offensively the difference isn't much.

Career OPS+: Headley 113, Freese 112

2014 OPS+: Headley 102, Freese 103

Career OBP: Headley .347, Freese .348

Also, Dipoto seems to be giving Freese a mulligan for his first 2 months with the Angels (new league, new team, injury) and is hoping for six months like the last four. After June 1, Freese hit .281 with a .768 OPS. The AL average OPS at 3B was .703 last  year. (Even with Freese's lousy first two months, his season OPS was .704.)

Meanwhile, Freese is a $6M commitment. Headley is at least $60M

And Freese isn't as bad defensively as you think.

You had me convinced until the part about Freese and defense. He is not Pedro Guerrero bad but he isn't good.

The better point is Headley is not a $50-60 million dollar investment player. He has a sketchy career past and crossed over 30, he is not going to age well. The Angels are better off with Freese on a one year and develop a player for 2016.

Cant we at least sign someone for DH? Michael Morse perhaps? While rotating him through OF spots as a 4th OF.

Morse's last stint in the AL (2013). he managed a .651 OPS and was injured like always.  He's a PED casualty, he's right handed, he's 33, he made 6 mil last year and isn't likely to come any cheaper if at all..   Also, given you're the president of the only go after guys who do well in the postseason bandwagon, what was it about his .590 OPS in the WS that you liked?     Seriously, other than being a name you've heard what is it about him you like?

Cron will be 25, went yard 11 times in 240 at bats..  He posted an OPS+ of 110.  Sure he has some warts but he's basically a cheap version of Morse right down to the low BB totals and Ks...

Morse's last stint in the AL (2013). he managed a .651 OPS and was injured like always.  He's a PED casualty, he's right handed, he's 33, he made 6 mil last year and isn't likely to come any cheaper if at all..   Also, given you're the president of the only go after guys who do well in the postseason bandwagon, what was it about his .590 OPS in the WS that you liked?     Seriously, other than being a name you've heard what is it about him you like?

Cron will be 25, went yard 11 times in 240 at bats..  He posted an OPS+ of 110.  Sure he has some warts but he's basically a cheap version of Morse right down to the low BB totals and Ks...

He had an OPS over .800 in the postseason.  Its just a name that I threw out there.  But I would rather get that impact bat through trade, even if it means trading Cron and another young cost controlled starter.  I think we are too dependent on one man offensively.  Pujols couldnt even manage an .800 OPS last year.  If he continues to decline, Trout will have 0 protection in the lineup.