• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Carpino: luxury tax is not line in the sand

if they aren't worried about paying a tax to get the right player, then go get Moncada.

Totally agree about getting Moncada but he won't impact the Luxury Tax Threshold since he is in the International Spending Pool.

Frankly the Angels partial ownership of Fox Sports West brings in a large undisclosed amount of money that could likely easily allow Moreno to go over the limit if he so desired.

The Angels have no debt and are financially sound so if Arte wants it and it is the right situation I suspect he'll do whatever he wants or has to do to win.

Edited by ettin

Carpino's quotes kind of go against what Dipoto has been preaching.  Very interesting timing.

If the story is true that Arte pretty much did the Hamilton deal without DiPoto, I don't know....DiPoto spouts the party line and then, if Arte changes the party line, then Jerry finds out with the rest of us...

Even Dipoto said this last year. They are willing to go over the threshold for the right player. We all discussed this last year during all the talk of Tanaka. It has to be the right player, that player could have been Lester or it might be Scherzer, but I highly doubt it is James Shields. I sure hope it isn't Shields, I don't think I could handle "Not Big Game James" during each time he falls behind in a game.

Dipoto's plan is finally coming to form, rebuilding the farm system, bring in a lot of depth hoping a couple work, and make trades to fill holes, with FA to supplant as required.  However, if Arte feels the need to reach for a high priced FA, and Dipoto can continue the plan to build the team, I don't see a real issue with that.  If Moreno decided to throw money at a big FA and cap the budget so Dipoto couldn't get the needed depth to win, that would be a problem.  As long as both can happen, that would work. 

Totally agree about getting Moncada but he won't impact the Luxury Tax Threshold since he is in the International Spending Pool.

Frankly the Angels partial ownership of Fox Sports West brings in a large undisclosed amount of money that could likely easily allow Moreno to go over the limit if he so desired.

The Angels have no debt and are financially sound so if Arte wants it and it is the right situation I suspect he'll do whatever he wants or has to do to win.

Good point ettin, that seems to slip through the cracks. On top of the media deal itself, arte also aquired partial ownership of the network. That in itself is pretty big, but ive also read (though dont know if its true) that the angels are the only team operating with zero debt.