• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What should they do now?

19HALO71

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-west/los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim/

Was looking at Cots Baseball Contracts and was wondering what the Angels should do.

I'm sure we can do better than Freese at third, let him go.

I like Beckham as a utility infielder, keep him.

Keep Grilli as long as he remains reasonable financially.

Rotation:

1. Weaver

2. Shoemaker

3. Free agent

4. Santiago/Rasmus

5. Wilson

(This rotation is based on not expecting Richards and Skaggs to return by the start of the season)

Bullpen: The rest seem to be under control and affordable.

7th inning: Jepsen

8th inning: Smith

9th inning: Street

Based on the contracts and what I see as needs, I say we are in a great position for next year. Only need to make the following acquistions:

Free agent starter projected to be a 3-4 starter.

A solid defensive third baseman with a decent bat somewhere around a 275-285 avg., 15-20 Hrs and 85 RBI's

Sorry about how this was presented, everything is still a blur after last nights game.

Basically, what do we need?

Beckham has been a career .690 OPS player, he showed his best stuff for his limited role as an Angel. I don't trust the guy to suddenly have become a complete player after 6 years of being well below replacement value.

Not a single starting position player was below replacement value for the Angels this season. Wholesale changes would not be in the teams interest.

If Pujols suddenly becomes "old" next year in terms of production, and Hamilton doesn't find an approach that works, we're in some trouble.

I expect Trout to solve his strikeout problem and have a great year. Kendrick and Aybar are still very reliable hitters, and Calhoun is just starting to show us what he can do.

Wilson is no better than a #4 pitcher at this point. I'm not optimistic about him.

The bullpen will be solid, and Weaver/Richards/Shoemaker are an outstanding 1-2-3.

3B needs upgrading, and add another starter. We'll be as good as any team in the league, but who knows what will happen again if we make the playoffs.

I'd take Russell Martin and make him our leadoff hitter. For a catcher, he's got Kole Calhoun type wheels too, but exceptional plate discipline. 

Make Iannetta our backup C and cut ties with Hank Conger. I think he's been given long enough to prove he can't hit a lick in the big leagues. 

Sounds good in theory but after the season he had(which I'm not certain he'll duplicate) you just know some team will give him some 4-5 year deal at a high cost

They should look at finding a quality, DEFENSIVE minded backup catcher to help balance things out with Iannetta. Conger can frame pitches, but he offers little else and is probably worse than Iannetta when it comes to throwing out base runners.

I think they need to sign another starter, especially with Richards timetable up in the air. Maybe look for a lefty reliever and not a Joe Thatcher type

some minor moves here or there otherwise. By next Septemvber, we could see Diaz/Bedrosian as big time contributors in the pen...and perhaps Skaggs or Newcomb as a lefty out of the pen. SKaggs won't be able to return in time to start so they could look to ease him back by having him pitch out of the pen down the stretch

Sounds good in theory but after the season he had(which I'm not certain he'll duplicate) you just know some team will give him some 4-5 year deal at a high cost

They should look at finding a quality, DEFENSIVE minded backup catcher to help balance things out with Iannetta. Conger can frame pitches, but he offers little else and is probably worse than Iannetta when it comes to throwing out base runners.

I think they need to sign another starter, especially with Richards timetable up in the air. Maybe look for a lefty reliever and not a Joe Thatcher type

some minor moves here or there otherwise. By next Septemvber, we could see Diaz/Bedrosian as big time contributors in the pen...and perhaps Skaggs or Newcomb as a lefty out of the pen. SKaggs won't be able to return in time to start so they could look to ease him back by having him pitch out of the pen down the stretch

I already got Skaggs out for the year, or for a lefty out of the pen in Sept. for us. 

I think we could see Bedrock and Diaz break camp out of Tempe with the team. We'll probably pass on Grilli, though I know he liked it here. 

Russell Martin would be a nice signing IMO and fill a hole atop the lineup. 

Does anyone have the list of free agents?

What should they do? Relax, enjoy their families, and then think about how to improve before next year.

As for next year, the main areas of possible upgrade are, in order of need: SP, 3B, C. Then it just becomes a matter of whether to go big or medium fish.

Thing to consider: We are in MUCH better shape going into this offseason than we've been in years.

One more thing. Fan_since79, Pujols' production has already gone "old." The guy has been a shadow of his peak self for 4 years now. 2014 was the second worst season of his career, or worst if you only count "healthy" years. I think the best we can hope for now is a 120-130ish OPS+, which is quite "old" for a player who had an OPS+ of 148 or higher in his first 11 seasons, 7 of which were 168 or higher.

I like the idea of pursuing Martin, and Ianetta would be easy to trade. I say target Martin and a second tier starting pitcher.

I'd also like to see them bring back Grilli if he can be had for something like 1/2.5. And maybe consider Andrew Miller.

I think it is more than reasonable to project at least some, probably considerable improvement for Freese next year. I don't know that there is much of an upgrade to be had at 3B

Out of curiosity, why do you expect "probably considerable improvement" from a to-be 32 year old player who has played at a similar level for two years now? Consider that in his five years he's had an OPS+ of 109, 118, 129, 99, 103, it is hard to imagine him having more than a 100-110 OPS+ in 2015 at age 32. 2012 was a career year and unlikely ever to happen again.