• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who stays and who goes next year?

after watching KC play just a great series --I'd go for pitching and speed.......

do we non-tender Freese? probably. We can do better there.

Guys to keep: Kendrick, Aybar, Trout, Calhoun, Ianetta, Weaver, Shoemaker, Richards, Skaggs, Street, Smith and then there's Pujols contract so he stays and Hamilton' contract so we don't have a real choice there either......

everyone else expendable.  I think about bringing some of the pen guys, maybe Grilli (might cost too much for his value), Morin, not sure about Jepsen -- I think he's run his course with the Halos.

what is CJ Wilson's contract status ? He was very unreliable as a rotation guy this year.

We need some speed and some starting pitching.

whatever it was that hamilton was doing so well the first ten games or so (until he hurt his thumb), find it and make him do it again.

short of that, take him out of the cleanup spot. he should never, ever hit fourth again as an angel unless he suddenly re-discovers whatever he now so sorely lacks as a hitter.

as for CJ, i don't really have any answers. i know the jekyll and hyde routine has to end. whether that happens with us or with another team doesn't really matter to me right now.

i'm not in favor of any big signings this off season. i would keep freese. i'd unload jepsen.

As much as I like Torri -- and think we should have kept him and NOT signed Hamilton when we did  (this is not Monday morning QB stuff -- a lot of us said this at the time).......but Torri NOW is NOT the answer.......and quite frankly, I don't see Torri wanting to come back here because he was sort of double-crossed by Arte and the Halos two years ago when they said they were 'going in a different direction'  with respect to where (which roster spots) they were going to spend their money and then went out and spent a pant load for a multi-year contract to sign an OF'er......

So I don't see Torri here unless he has no other offers and I don't see that happening..........

I actually could see Torri either in Texas or perhaps closing out his career in Minnesota (although that would be playing out the string because Twins are in a five year plan of some sort - they probably won't be competitive for a while).

If I had a magic wand the results would be a lot different. Unfortunately contracts tie us to at least two guys who need to be gone in order for this team to be better a year from now.

As far as the big decisions - I would check the market for third basemen before deciding wither to tender Freese. There aren't any Adrian Beltres out there, and we damned sure don't want A-Roid. I'm not sure what else we could get. Catcher is another position similar to this. Iannetta isn't a great catcher but he isn't a terrible one either, and he got some big hits for us at times. Hank Conger's time to prove himself may be past. Just not another Mathis type as a backup, please. We at least need someone capable of getting a hit once on a while.

We need a left-handed reliever. Keep Huston Street. Santiago has enough potential that I keep him. Weaver, no brainer. I hang onto the guys up the middle - Aybar, Kendrick and Trout. Calhoun stays. I would also keep Cowgill, not a star but a decent player who is good in the field and can get you a key hit now and then. Relief corps, I keep Grilli and Smith. Jepsen I'm torn on.

A guy like Jepsen would not have the kind of trade value that would make it worth it letting him go.

He had a great year. He should stay.

The thing about him is if you read his numbers you'd believe he was a great reliever. He seems to give up every inherited run he's left with. That doesn't help the team. Not to mention he's terrible in stressful situations. I'd rather see him gone, take Mike's toys away.

Funny, coming from the guy who started a thread whining about the team. Guess you'll be firing yourself too. 

I've never whined about the team. I've either made rationale comments or propositions about the team. Or rather also gave props to opposing clubs like the Royals that beat us fair and square.

Stop with your bullshit.

But that has nothing to do with what you said. You said they were arguably the hottest team in baseball coming into the postseason. And their September record - particularly the final 2-3 weeks of the season - didn't point in that direction. Now you're backpedaling by bringing up their record post ASB

You were wrong. It's ok.

Edited by Angels

What?

They've been playing playoff baseball before the playoffs. They beat the team many all year thought would represent the AL in the WS and did so in dramatic fashion and just swept the best team in baseball.

I'd consider that hot, and before they beat us. They also were tied with the Angels for best second half record.

So shut the **** up with your stupid knee jerk bullshit about how the Royals are some lucky team.

The same A's that had sucked since July? The same A's that had a pretty historic collapse? Yeah, those A's.

If you consider that win as being "hot" then ok. But "hot" is certainly not the way they finished the regular season.

And I never said the Royals are a lucky team. Or that they didn't deserve to win. You just made that up.

Royals made it to the playoffs with great defense and incredible pitching (particularly the pen). That is why the Angels lost the first 2 games. As for the final 3rd game....that was just a cluster F from the first inning. The whole idea of having a regular season is to prepare the team for the playoffs. What a team does in the first half doesn't translate to playoff success, it just help a team become payoff eligible. A better evaluation is how the team is playing heading into the playoffs. The Royals were playing just as good ball as the Angels late in the season.