• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sheffield on TBS...

jimbo

yes. really have to agree with Sheffield on that........kind of an interesting comment coming from Sheffield.

I am amazed that Sheffield -- 1.) is a TV commentator/ analyst and 2.) looks pretty comfortable and good doing the analyst work.

to me, Sheffield is a guy who had amazing athletic ability, was a very good ballplayer who could have been really great but let his attitude issues make him more of a journeyman player who bounced from team to team........

despite the attitude issues and being bounced around, Sheffield, at the end of the day, put up close to HOF career numbers in several stat catagories and could have had even better stats had he been able to settle down as a ballplayer and play with one or two organizations.......

he came up with Milwaukee and then went to San Diego -- the early years and promise he showed there were amazing.........to be fair to Sheffield he got traded from San Diego after putting up some near MVP numbers as a 3B and it was the owner's salary dump and complete payroll / player sell off more than anything else --

so to hear Sheffield calling out Hamilton for kind of dogging it on attitude is an incredible thing -- but I still think Sheffield's right.

Angels should have left Hamilton OFF the post-season roster -- his AB's tonight looked terrible.

I really can't stand this guy. I honestly think this team is better with this dude far away from it, regardless of his "talent/name" etc. Cowgill in LF, Hamilton far away from this team. I really think this gives the team a better chance at winning

he swings at everything and looks like he can't give a goddamn about anything

I understand that Hamilton isn't performing right now, and his swings look bad. But for anyone -- here or Gary Sheffield -- to say that a guy "doesn't care" just by looking at him is ludicrous.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have subjected his body to 12 cortisone shots in 3 weeks if he didn't care.

Josh cares. CJ Wilson cares. Ernesto Frieri cared. Joe Blanton cared. Raul Ibañez cared.

They all care. It's their life. They all work a lot harder at it than most people on earth do at their jobs, which is how they get to the majors in the first place.

Who cares if he cares or doesn't care? That's a cop out from the actual problem.

The actual problem is that he sucks and Scioscia doesn't have the sack to sit him down. 

Another problem is that he sucks and is making a fat check for the next 3 years. 

I'm tired of reading about this guy cares or this guy doesn't care and blah blah blah blah blah. It's about performance. It's about results. Cowgill is a better all around ballplayer than Hamilton and he's not getting on the field. Simple.

I understand that Hamilton isn't performing right now, and his swings look bad. But for anyone -- here or Gary Sheffield -- to say that a guy "doesn't care" just by looking at him is ludicrous.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have subjected his body to 12 cortisone shots in 3 weeks if he didn't care.

Josh cares. CJ Wilson cares. Ernesto Frieri cared. Joe Blanton cared. Raul Ibañez cared.

They all care. It's their life. They all work a lot harder at it than most people on earth do at their jobs, which is how they get to the majors in the first place.

I have no idea if he actually cares or not in 2014 (we're not talking about caring when they were working their way to the majors). He certainly doesn't pass the eye test at all.  And if you are giving examples of players caring once they reach the Anaheim Ritz-Carlton, please don't forget about #tooblessedtobestressed.

Thing is, an ex hof caliber ball player is basically saying the same thing we all are.

I really like Jeff and I respect his opinion in this thread....but Sheffield would seem to have more credibility on this topic than any of us, Jeff included....doesn't mean he's right but he's been there, done that and you have to listen to what he says....

On this particular topic, with this particular guy, I think I'm more qualified than Sheffield, because I've spent a lot of time talking to Hamilton and his teammates.

Sheffield is doing the same thing you are, watching on TV.

Sheffield certainly knows more about baseball than me, but I don't think he's a mind reader.

By the way, I'm not defending Hamilton's performance. It was bad. Just the idea that he "doesn't care."

And when exactly did Sheffield say this? What exactly did he say?

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

On this particular topic, with this particular guy, I think I'm more qualified than Sheffield, because I've spent a lot of time talking to Hamilton and his teammates.

Sheffield is doing the same thing you are, watching on TV.

Sheffield certainly knows more about baseball than me, but I don't think he's a mind reader.

By the way, I'm not defending Hamilton's performance. It was bad. Just the idea that he "doesn't care."

And when exactly did Sheffield say this? What exactly did he say?

I am assuming the original poster heard Sheffiled's commentary on TBS (see his post)...I didn't hear it and so we are relying on the accuracy of the original poster....if he is accurately quoting Sheffield, I'll have to agree to disagree with you...while you are closer to the team, a guy who played against Hamilton and has 20 years of recent years experience in a dugout carries some credibility and chops, at least with me....at the end of the day, I guess nobody knows what is going on in Hamilton's head but there wasn't much from his performance last night to deflect the criticism....

I really can't stand this guy. I honestly think this team is better with this dude far away from it, regardless of his "talent/name" etc. Cowgill in LF, Hamilton far away from this team. I really think this gives the team a better chance at winning

he swings at everything and looks like he can't give a goddamn about anything

agreed - he is a giant energy suck too - a wasted at bat - bring in a player that is hungry to win like Cowgill I'm sure would be