• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh out for the playoffs!?!

Angelsfirst

agreed. I think an awful lot of people on here saying we're better off without him are riding high on Howie being hot the past 3 weeks or so, and they forget just how streaky he is. I know I've been beating this horse to death, but when - not if - he goes cold, the lineup is going to look awfully mediocre and will need all the help it can get.

totally understand your point, and its valid.

But i think its ironic to talk about howie being hot and cold while advocating for hamilton. Forget his rangers years...theyre as gone as pujols' cards years. So we have to focus just on what these guys can do now as angels. And the angel josh hamilton has been nothing but streaky.

I hope hes healthy. I hope he plays and feel he can produce. I too think hes a lineup presence. But unless my eyes are fooling me, i feel like were a better offense without him, save for those here and there great games where he goes 3-4 (even if all singles) where he drove good pitches instead of hacking at bad ones.

Which i admit is ironic if im advocating howie.

Agreed. The Angels lost game 7 of the 2002 WS because they chose to start an unproven rookie instead of a proven veteran. Still the worst decision Sosh has ever made.

How many guys in the 2002 lineup were rookies?  For some reason you mentioned pitchers when I was strictly talking about hitters.  Its a lot harder for an unproven batter to face elite pitching in the playoffs.

Sharp, stabbing pain in the chest and trouble taking deep breaths?

That doesn't sound good at all.

Could be a muscle pull or strain in his back. No that's not me being an internet doctor it's me having pulled a muscle in my back and experiencing something similar - discomfort when you move, pain towards the end of a deep breath and you can feel the pain and discomfort through your chest and armpit.

Regardless here's to a speedy recovery for Josh.

I obviously want the guy healthy. Would love to see him have a big playoff moment.

But if that doesnt gappen, in all honesty, im good with cowgill starting. I know it sounds crazy to compare the 2, but i like cowgills game. Can get on base, nore pop than expected, great glove and can run. I 5hink hes a good chemistry guy too

He seems like a competitor after going through all of his personal demons and making a strong comeback to the game. Whatever is causing him pain I hope it's not more permanent. When he is on his game he can produce some nice stats. I hope he can make it back for spring training next year and than evaluate whether he still wants to play. He's signed for the next two years I believe anyway.

How many guys in the 2002 lineup were rookies?  For some reason you mentioned pitchers when I was strictly talking about hitters.  Its a lot harder for an unproven batter to face elite pitching in the playoffs.

Link?

David Freese had basically 1 full season of career at bats by the time the 2011 playoffs rolled around. Puig hit .333 in the postseason last year. Cespedes hit .316 in 2012. Allen Craig had half a season worth of career at bats in 2011 when he hit 4 HR and had a 1.013 OPS. Bogaerts hit .296 last year in the postseason with an .893 OPS (with just 44 career at bats before then).

Agreed. The Angels lost game 7 of the 2002 WS because they chose to start an unproven rookie instead of a proven veteran. Still the worst decision Sosh has ever made.

Lackey was far from an unknown quantity with 18 starts for the Angels before the post season began. He had a start in the ALCS and 2 games started in the World Series not just game 7. People for some reason think he came out of nowhere.

Lackey was far from an unknown quantity with 18 starts for the Angels before the post season began. He had a start in the ALCS and 2 games started in the World Series not just game 7. People for some reason think he came out of nowhere.

Well in the context of this discussion, he did.

My point was that a player doesn't need to be a proven veteran to have success in the playoffs. Rookies and lesser-knowns can be just as effective if they are the better option. Simply being a veteran with experience does not automatically make one a better option.