• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto's Plan and Scioscia

This isn't a fire Scioscia thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it turns into

Anyways... Dipoto had a plan this offseason. This plan was based around defense, especially outfield defense. He clearly wanted to use Bourjos in center after letting Hunter go and trading Wells right before the season started. Most of our pitchers are fly ball pitchers who would benefit from Bourjos and Trout in the same outfield. Trumbo doesn't look like he knows what he is doing at the plate right now yet Scioscia didn't manage to get Bourjos in the starting lineup even once. I know this is was a series without a DH, but what if this continues? What if Scioscia keeps managing to leave Bourjos out of the lineup? Would Dipoto make sure Scioscia was canned? It's a lot of speculation and Scioscia sometimes gets it right when he sticks with guys

This isn't a fire Scioscia thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it turns into

Anyways... Dipoto had a plan this offseason. This plan was based around defense, especially outfield defense. He clearly wanted to use Bourjos in center after letting Hunter go and trading Wells right before the season started. Most of our pitchers are fly ball pitchers who would benefit from Bourjos and Trout in the same outfield. Trumbo doesn't look like he knows what he is doing at the plate right now yet Scioscia didn't manage to get Bourjos in the starting lineup even once. I know this is was a series without a DH, but what if this continues? What if Scioscia keeps managing to leave Bourjos out of the lineup? Would Dipoto make sure Scioscia was canned? It's a lot of speculation and Scioscia sometimes gets it right when he sticks with guys

I'm not sure what alternatives Scioscia has with Wells out of the picture.

Shuck starting in left and Trumbo at DH?

Trumbo in left and Romine or Brendan Harris at DH?

can't use Conger to start at DH on days when Iannetta catches as we risk losing the DH. 

No, I doubt it is Dipoto's call - not with Arte having a lot of contract still to pay for Mike. I think what could happen is that should the rotation sputter or the hitting doesn't play up to expectations that Dipoto would can the coaches of those departments, which may cause increased friction with the field manager. This is just speculation on my part, but Dipoto had no qualms about deep-sixing Mickey Hatcher last season.

We have a couple of series to get things rolling, I do think the Angels will have a good season - there is just way too much talent in that lineup to fall short for a 4th consecutive season. Of course, that is what Arte and Jerry believe as well, and I am sure Mike Scoiscia fully well realizes that.

I was a little disappointed not seeing Bourjos in the lineup today with Blanton on the mound.

I don't think that was the right call. That said I don't think we will see this too much this year, simply because the DH is going to open up starting tomorrow, and by the next interleague series we'll have a good idea of how everyone is playing.

I was a little disappointed not seeing Bourjos in the lineup today with Blanton on the mound.

I don't think that was the right call. That said I don't think we will see this too much this year, simply because the DH is going to open up starting tomorrow, and by the next interleague series we'll have a good idea of how everyone is playing.

I agree.

I was surprised that Bourjos didn't start at least one game.  But I think Trumbo being a power guy needed the at bats more than Bourjos.  I also think Scoscia may have thought Trumbo's power might have played better in Cincy than Peter's speed.  

Everyone knew this was the plan going into the first series of the season ... Except for original poster it seems.

This could change over the course of the season.

Since when do the fans really know what Dipoto wants and doesn't want? I have a sneaky suspecion that he is on the same page as his manager.

Why so much negativity?

Everyone knew this was the plan going into the first series of the season ... Except for original poster it seems.

Since when do the fans really know what Dipoto wants and doesn't want? I have a sneaky suspecion that he is on the same page as his manager.

Why so much negatively?

Are you really Jose Mota incognito? Come on, you can tell me. It'll be our secret.

Why so much negatively?

In all seriousness, I think the massive uptick in negativity  on this and other forums since the 2012 season is a combination of a lot of backloaded player contracts (particularly the Pujols deal) and the current terrible state in the minor league system making it appear that the Angels only have a few-year window in which it's plausible to win (2012-2014) before many key players get older (Pujols, Weaver, Wilson, Hamilton) without any apparent replacement (little minor league depth, too much money tied up in contracts to buy free agent players) 

Failing to even make the playoffs in spite of this, even with the emergence of Trout in 2012 was a huge disappointment. 2013 so far appears to be doubling down on the same strategy of all offense, and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle in the pitching department. I think the team will do better and I hope it works out but now fans are even more antsy hoping for the Halos to win in 2013 than they even were in 2012.

Of course a lot may change in that time (by 2015 our minor league system should hopefully be improving) and I suspect the situation will improve. But until then: f'n Scioscia / Butcher / Dipoto / Reagins  :unsure:

Trumbo hasn't been hitting? It's only been 3 games. 

Well I'm referring to the last half of last year and spring training. No home runs in spring training from a home run hitter? That can't be good. Plus I'm a Bourjos guy. I love his defense

There's nothing wrong with our offense strategy ... except for players performing up to par. You really can't blame Scioscia for our key players taking a dump in the first series.

Once the players started performing in May of last season ... The team had the best record in baseball.

This team is over rated by most of the writers. It's a very good team withs tons of potential ... MS is one of the best in the business and will be the difference maker in making a run at the WS this season.

The defense looked like crap this series.  The two unearned runs in each of the last two games were big.  Maybe Bourjos makes a difference.  I have lost confidence in Trumbo big time but it makes sense to continue to give him his opportunities.  There are almost two months of games until our next away interleague series so by that time, we should know if Trumbo can get his mojo back and which of Bourjos two seasons was the anomaly.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Mike Trout likes playing CF and he's very good at it.  I know people discount this and think it isn't a factor, but I truly believe this plays into who start in CF during games without a DH. 

Well I'm referring to the last half of last year and spring training. No home runs in spring training from a home run hitter? That can't be good. Plus I'm a Bourjos guy. I love his defense

If you want to also include last season, then Bourjos should now be in AAA. You really can't use a slump late last year since it's not the same as the beginning of a season. Players tend to get tired toward the end of a long season and get into a bad rhythm. Trumbo has had all season to reset his timing and gain his energy. Using the beginning of a season is a great way to get a player back on track.

I'm also a Bourjos fan, but can't fault Sosh for playing Trumbo.... for now.  

If you want to also include last season, then Bourjos should now be in AAA. You really can't use a slump late last year since it's not the same as the beginning of a season. Players tend to get tired toward the end of a long season and get into a bad rhythm. Trumbo has had all season to reset his timing and gain his energy. Using the beginning of a season is a great way to get a player back on track.

I'm also a Bourjos fan, but can't fault Sosh for playing Trumbo.... for now.  

I want Trumbo to get his swing back. This lineup would be unstoppable if he hit like he did st the beginning of last year. I would have just liked to see Bourjos get into one game. Trout and Trumbo both had some miscues out there and Blanton is a fly ball pitcher (home run pitcher as Santana would say)

Since there seems to be no change from the last half of 2012 through today, damn right I will include Spring training. At some point there has to be a change and so far Trumbo has not, he is doing the exact same things wrong at the plate for 4 solid months of baseball.

So what's your solution Eric ... replace him at DH?

Oh wait ... The season just started and it's a little to early to give up on him. You're right about him sucking for a long time.

Management banked on his success by trading Morales. It made perfect sense to put his power bat in the line up in a NL park. Sometimes well laid plans ... FLOP.

I'm not saying at all that bourjos should start over trumbo. That said, both trumbo and pujols were 'cold' in this series. I would have personally preferred to sit pujols today with his bum foot and start trumbo at first.

That said, it seemed odd that bourjos only got into one game. Did harris and shuck have more at bats?

Kendrick batted .435 in Spring. He's starting the season at .143. 

Weaver had a 5.40 ERA in Spring and put together a solid opening day start.

You cannot predict how a player will start a season by looking at Spring stats.

Howie is actually starting very well.

.273/.385/.545

Sorry, just wanted to point that out. :)