• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hank Conger's role on this team

Oz27

Needs to be seriously reduced. A .457 OPS from his past 38 starts, a .232 OBP in away games this season and monthly OPS totals from June to August of .513, .521 and .293 indicates something pretty clearly...that he can't hit. It's not like he makes up for it with the glove either. Why is he not being treated like a true backup catcher, playing in only day game after night game scenarios or at other times when Iannetta truly needs a rest? It's like the Mathis scenario, except at least Mathis was useful defensively.

We may need to go for a catcher in free agency. There are a couple names I have in mind, but instead of naming them at the risk of suffering a lengthy ban, I will merely post a list of catchers in the 2015 free agent class and let you all read between the lines:

Catchers

John Buck (34)
Ryan Doumit (34)
Nick Hundley (31) – $5MM club option
Gerald Laird (35)
Russell Martin (32)
Jeff Mathis (32) – $1.5MM club option
Wil Nieves (36)
Miguel Olivo (36)
A.J. Pierzynski (38)
David Ross (38)
Geovany Soto (32

Edited by ScottLux

Why is he not being treated like a true backup catcher, playing in only day game after night game scenarios or at other times when Iannetta truly needs a rest? It's like the Mathis scenario, except at least Mathis was useful defensively.

He has been lately. With no days off, hank is going to play sporadically. Chris caught the entire red sox series and then sat out after a cross country flight with a righty pitching. The next two pitchers for oakland are lefties so last night was the only night conger could get a start

I wonder if Hank would do better with regular at-bats, to get a rhythm going. I still think he's capable of hitting .270/.750, which is very good for a catcher.

I'm also happy with our current catcher duo. It isn't a strength but its not a weakness. I think the offseason should be more focused on strengthening the rotation and figuring out what to do with 3B.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Hundley would be nice. We already grabbed Street. Do the Padres want to unload Cashner too? We could just have all of their best players from 2014. Heck... Even Headley at 3rd. 

We'd have to ask thw the Yankees about Headley

I agree, the team should look at alternatives. Need someone more defense oriented with pop. Jett Bandy in AA looks like he could be a stud backup catcher. He's got  .347 OBP with 12 homeruns in a very pitcher friendly park and he's thrown out 41% of potential base stealers this year. I say let him get a chance or maybe pluck up Robinson Chirinos from the Rangers. Conger's pitch framing isn't outweighing everything else he does poorly.