• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you were to tell me that....

Chuck

The Angels would be 24 games over .500 in late August, despite the fact that Trout wasn't his normal awesome self, we got nearly zero production from our cleanup spot, below average production from our DH spot, started the season off 0-3 and didn't fully improve our bullpen until June, C.J. Wilson & Jered Weaver were below average, Tyler Skaggs out for the season with TJ Surgery and Matt Shoemaker was our 2nd best starter on the club behind Garrett Richards, I'd LMFAO and say yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah right! 

Props to Scioscia, the coaching staff and the players for stepping up. Oh major props to Dipoto for correcting our one glaring weakness in the bullpen before it was too late. 

I agree regarding scioscia, the coaching staff, and dipoto. Seems like much if this has been luck (I have to believe the luck has gone our way this year), and maybe some smoke and mirrors. That indicates to me that Scioscia has gotten every possible contribution from this squad. I just hope they can hang on for 40+ more games.

The Angels would be 24 games over .500 in late August, despite the fact that Trout wasn't his normal awesome self, we got nearly zero production from our cleanup spot, below average production from our DH spot, started the season off 0-3 and didn't fully improve our bullpen until June, C.J. Wilson & Jered Weaver were below average, Tyler Skaggs out for the season with TJ Surgery and Matt Shoemaker was our 2nd best starter on the club behind Garrett Richards, I'd LMFAO and say yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah right! 

Props to Scioscia, the coaching staff and the players for stepping up. Oh major props to Dipoto for correcting our one glaring weakness in the bullpen before it was too late. 

That tells you how awesome Calhoun has been. There really hasn't been a standout offensive guy.

A year ago?  55 - 70.  Almost a 20 game swing in the standings

The difference:

No Blanton, Hansen, Scrubs (filling in for injured Weaver and Vargas) - Replaced by Skaggs, Santiago, Shoemaker

Full season of Richards - who has pitched like an ace.

New BP

Better D

Offense is still hot, cold, or inept

It is amazing how they keep finding ways to win despite that list of woes. One big difference from last year, as Mulwin implies, is that aside from a few weeks of Wilson imploding, there is no terribly weak spot in the rotation. Garret--and recently Santiago--has been the only true standout, but everyone has been at least serviceable.

The bullpen, of course, is a huge difference. Now if only Trout and Hamilton can get going, I think we've got a pretty good shot.

This year on Aug 20th: 582 RS 4.69 per game

Last year on Aug 20th: 564 RS 4.51 per game

Not a huge difference in offense

This year on Aug 20th: 492 RA 3.96 per game

Last year on Aug 20th: 606 RA 4.85 per game

There it is...pitching and defense

Right now, relievers have a 3.45 ERA .228 BAA 1.20 WHIP K/BB 2.78...last season 4.12 ERA .242 BAA 1.35 WHIP 2.15 K/BB

If this offense could get going, they'd be pretty damn formidable come OCT

I agree regarding scioscia, the coaching staff, and dipoto. Seems like much if this has been luck (I have to believe the luck has gone our way this year), and maybe some smoke and mirrors. That indicates to me that Scioscia has gotten every possible contribution from this squad. I just hope they can hang on for 40+ more games.

Possibly some luck, I found last year to be unlucky with the injuries, things not properly aligning (I said it last year, but this year is no different without every facet clicking in high gear), and just an overall let down from key people.....if we would have just got career average or slightly below that from guys like Pujols, Hamilton, Blanton, etc. we would have been fine and at least in the hunt.

Who knew Blantiago might prove to be the more important piece of the trumbo trade

He has excellent stuff. I think most people were worried that he would revert to his peripherals but he has been great. He, like Skaggs, has the stuff to be a very good pitcher.

some other reasons:

• Pujols has stayed on the field, and while his numbers in the grand scheme aren't all that impressive, he has also provided leadership, defense and some timely hitting
  • Ianetta is swinging a hot bat
  • Some solid bench contributions at times throughout the year from Cowgill, Navarro, Cron, and Green.

Still, this offense needs to be on point for us to succeed in the postseason, when other teams throw multiple aces at us and we counter with just 1.