• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ultra Mega Outdoors/Camping Thread

We are going camping a couple times this summer and I need to buy a tent.  I only ever camped in CA where any tent would be fine because it never rains or gets windy.  That isn't the case here.

The caveat is that at this point I am not sure my wife is going to enjoy it so I don't want to jump in and spend $3-500 on a tent just yet.  I am hoping to stay around $150 but I am willing to go up to $200.  It is just me, my wife, my six year old daughter and a 20 pound dog.  I am not stuck on a particular brand, but the top two I was considering are both Coleman.  Any opinions and suggestions would be welcomed.

The two I was considering the most were these:

Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent $109 - Amazon

This one has good reviews, I think it might be a bit big and I am a little concerned about quality but I think no matter what in this price range I am not going to get the greatest quality.

815mpvV3urS._SL1500_.jpg

Coleman Montana 8 - Amazon

This one also has great reviews and is likely very similar to the one above as far as build quality.  It is smaller at 16x7 and a different design.

61%2BVxVS7b7L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by nate

Damn, I have a tent that I love but can't remember the make and model (i'll find out for you though). It's a "3 person tent", that's in quotations because 3 person tents usually fit 2 people good, 3 people very snug. What's rad about it though is it has the option to have almost a mini room before you get in the tent that you can put a chair in and hang if it's raining, a spot to put your shoes, etc. if they are muddy but yet are out of the rain because it's covered.

I'll start looking.

Edit: I have a Big Agnes King Creek 4. I think they no longer make it which sucks. I paid about $200 for it since REI was trying to get rid of them for the next model.

http://k-kustomrods.blogspot.com/2011/08/big-agnes-king-creek-4-review.html

Edit #2: Looking at the latest Big Agnes, they are all way too rich for your blood. Sorry Nate, can't help you out.

Edited by TobiasFunke

If you have an REI or such around you, rent. You can get something recommended and try it out and if your wife decides camping is nothing she ever wants to do again you don't have a tent you don't like sitting around the house. If she does like the experience then start your real shopping based on what you and her liked about the rental and what will fit the needs going forward.

You may also want to think in terms of cots that keep you off the cold and often rocky and uneven ground. Still a rental item at this point and could make the entire week or weekend much more enjoyable. You can even use them for laying out and getting some sun without the bugs crawling all over you.

We did a lot of Boy Scout campouts with the kids and acquired a lot of tents over the years from backpack, to two man nylons to large canvas 6 person tents. During that entire time period my middle son (yeah, that kid) never slept in a tent. He would help his guys set up their tents, get all the gear stowed away in the one he was supposed to share and then popped open a cheap camp chair and sleep sitting straight up in it. Not even one of those chairs with the foot rests, one of these.

CampingChair.jpg

If you have an REI or such around you, rent. You can get something recommended and try it out and if your wife decides camping is nothing she ever wants to do again you don't have a tent you don't like sitting around the house. If she does like the experience then start your real shopping based on what you and her liked about the rental and what will fit the needs going forward.

You may also want to think in terms of cots that keep you off the cold and often rocky and uneven ground. Still a rental item at this point and could make the entire week or weekend much more enjoyable. You can even use them for laying out and getting some sun without the bugs crawling all over you.

This is the best advice you will get!

I just replaced my trusty older cot with a new coleman last year.

A tent will keep you covered at night, a cot, a real pillow from home, and a thin pad (I have a tough, thin, auto- inflatable pad made for backpacking)  will keep you (and more importantly your wife) camping for years to come.

And don't forget the bug spray. Don't bother with the foofoo organic stuff, it doesn't work.

If you are around water you will have mosquitos..find the highest pct of DEET you can, and buy it.

Bass Pro or Grant Boys in Costa Mesa (I assume it is still there) carry it in small spray cans.

Edited by Homebrewer

Just bought a new tent a month or so ago, and already used it a few times:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000007831-6-Person-Instant-Tent/dp/B004E4ERHA

A1tH66c7uOL._SL1500_.jpg

Its big enough for my wife and I, our 4yo and 18mo, and two 50lb dogs.  Says it fits two queen size blow up beds. It's big enough without being too big, and you can fully stand up inside. Sets up in a just a couple minutes, which is nice. Folds up pretty easily and you can store in the bag provided.  I would recommend buying the rain fly as well.  What's best about the tent are the three hotties that come with it (pictured), no extra charge.

Something like this?  Coleman ComfortSmart Folding Cot

41ImUKnFszL.jpg

I think we were going to use an air mattress for us and just a pad and sleeping bag for my daughter.

Air Mattress are so hard to stay on. Every time I ever used one I wake up on the ground after an hour. After doing that a few times, it's easy to just give up.  

Go to REI and rent a tent. Find out if you and the family like it and then figure out what you need.

There are 4 of us in my family (kids 4 and 7) plus an Australian Shepherd.

I wanted a full rain fly and as small of a footprint as i could get and my wife wanted the ability to stand up.

Knowing that the kids would want to bring stuff to play with and that we play card games at night, I decided in a six person tent for the extra room. I am also 6ft tall and didn't want to touch the wall with my head or feet.

I bought this tent for car camping and love it

http://m.rei.com/product/862430/rei-base-camp-6-tent

If you camp a lot, don't skimp on your tent. You will have it for years.

That's why I say rent until you know.