• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ultra Mega Outdoors/Camping Thread

How rough is that road? We have a xTerra Pro4x, would it handle the road without any problems?

I photographed Bodie a few years ago. Wasn't overly impressed with what I came back with...but it wasn't an issue with the location, it had more to do with time of day and too many people in the way.

I recently saw an article, they do a monthly Bodie at night event once a month during the New Moon. Looks pretty awesome, unfortunately it's not something we can get up there for this year.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/worth-the-trip/Rare-Chance-See-Bodie-Ghost-Town-by-Night-262590301.html

The roads were fairly easy...not much traffic on them to erode them out. Maps and GPS are pretty worthless though.

Gotta have the time and extra gas to make mistakes and double back long distances.

I've been considering getting in to fly fishing. We recently moved up from the camping to the trailer and plan on spending a lot of time in the Eastern Sierra's (as a part time photographer, it's just one image opportunity after another). Anyone have a good suggestion on the best way to dip the toe in to the fly fishing waters?

You're going to need a pole

My new favorite thread. Good thing there isn't a guitar thread, I would never get any work done.

My wife and I have regular date nights and they usually end up at REI.

We do several trips to Sequioa and Kings Canyon every year. My kids started going with us when they turned 2. Finn was two and a half and would hike 3 miles a day. Most of it on his own. He turns 7 next week and I think he and I are going to go on his first backpacking trip this summer. Short out and back type of thing.

My new favorite thread. Good thing there isn't a guitar thread, I would never get any work done.

My wife and I have regular date nights and they usually end up at REI.

We do several trips to Sequioa and Kings Canyon every year. My kids started going with us when they turned 2. Finn was two and a half and would hike 3 miles a day. Most of it on his own. He turns 7 next week and I think he and I are going to go on his first backpacking trip this summer. Short out and back type of thing.

Cool.

Might suggest the east side if you have the time.

This side is SO dry this year. Getting caught in the back-country with a fire is a major concern.

Ok campers, what is a good list of neccessities? Flashlights, toilet paper, optimal sleeping arrangements, etc.

Bonus question:

We have been looking to camp for awhile, but we have a small dog and want to bring him. He's good in dog parks and ok with walks, but we are thinking somewhere more desolate to where he doesn't have the distractions where he might run off.....he's good with us and after the curiosity stage just sticks by us, but we are also concerned about something like a rabbit or wildlife running around and pulling him from his safety radius he generally has with us. What are three good locations that may have little to no campers, but also maybe have little wildlife...I don't even know if this makes sense. We looked at Pismo and other beach or sand type spots, but I want to shoot for something woodsy.

Ok campers, what is a good list of neccessities? Flashlights, toilet paper, optimal sleeping arrangements, etc.

Bonus question:

We have been looking to camp for awhile, but we have a small dog and want to bring him. He's good in dog parks and ok with walks, but we are thinking somewhere more desolate to where he doesn't have the distractions where he might run off.....he's good with us and after the curiosity stage just sticks by us, but we are also concerned about something like a rabbit or wildlife running around and pulling him from his safety radius he generally has with us. What are three good locations that may have little to no campers, but also maybe have little wildlife...I don't even know if this makes sense. We looked at Pismo and other beach or sand type spots, but I want to shoot for something woodsy.

Unless you have complete control over a small dog, taking it into a "woodsy" area is asking for disaster. Do yourself and your dog a favor and board it in a dog spa for the weekend. Coyotes are smart and hungry. Enough said?

I'm glad I spent a lot of time backpacking the Sierras in the 70's and 80's, because there is literally no place left in California, even out there, that is "lightly camped" anymore. And anywhere there are roads, forget it. Unless you go somewhere like Lassen/Shasta and get WAY OUT (and it doesn't sound like you are ready to do that) there will be other people around you. (another reason not to bring a dog that you don't trust to do exactly what you tell it, when you tell it to)

For a 1st time camping family, I might suggest one of the campgrounds up on the Ortega Hwy. Just a short way from San Juan Capo there are lower and upper Bluejay, the county park (can't remember the name), or if you want real pine trees and a little elevation, some of the campgrounds around Idlewild, Warner Valley, Pinion Pines... or the area farther south around Warner Springs, Anza, Palomar Mtn Observatory are going to be the less crowded choices for you.

Hope this helps.

Get out there!

Has anyone ever camped with or without a tent, dangerously close to lightning strikes? 

My dad and I were in the deep Mojave Desert, near Cima, when the alternator on his truck failed.  By the time we found a way to call for help (this was pre-cell phone days) the tow company in Baker said they couldn't drive that far until the next day.  We slept in the bed of the truck (no tent) until we were rudely awakened by thunder and lightning.  I've never seen so much lightning in my life.  We sat inside the truck, hands off any metal surfaces expecting to be struck next.  The frequency of the lightning strikes was so often (every few seconds), you could read a book if you wanted to, but the brightness became too painful to keep our eyes open. 

The tow truck arrived a little after 6:00am.  On the way back to Baker, we counted six Joshua Trees actively on fire and several others that exploded into pieces.  I remember the tow truck driver having to weave around pieces of wood that landed on the road. 

P.S. Good thread, nate!

Unless you have complete control over a small dog, taking it into a "woodsy" area is asking for disaster. Do yourself and your dog a favor and board it in a dog spa for the weekend. Coyotes are smart and hungry. Enough said?

I'm glad I spent a lot of time backpacking the Sierras in the 70's and 80's, because there is literally no place left in California, even out there, that is "lightly camped" anymore. And anywhere there are roads, forget it. Unless you go somewhere like Lassen/Shasta and get WAY OUT (and it doesn't sound like you are ready to do that) there will be other people around you. (another reason not to bring a dog that you don't trust to do exactly what you tell it, when you tell it to)

For a 1st time camping family, I might suggest one of the campgrounds up on the Ortega Hwy. Just a short way from San Juan Capo there are lower and upper Bluejay, the county park (can't remember the name), or if you want real pine trees and a little elevation, some of the campgrounds around Idlewild, Warner Valley, Pinion Pines... or the area farther south around Warner Springs, Anza, Palomar Mtn Observatory are going to be the less crowded choices for you.

Hope this helps.

Get out there!

Well, maybe woodsy isn't ideal, but open spaces he is fine.....just inquisitive like any other dog. I'm more open to open areas (prefer woodsy areas, but am realistic with a pet that isn't on the ESPN outdoor hunting competition). We want to bring him and when he gets unsure he keeps a good radius......we rescued him so he has separation anxiety and sticks pretty close to his masters.

I realize California is populated and don't expect complete wilderness, but what are some good camping spots that aren't your run of the mill dig outs with parking spaces and water fountains? If they are those you mention no need to respond to a dumb question.

Thanks a ton, Home. I am actually close to a lot of those mentioned heading towards San Diego.

Thanks for the help.

Any recommendations for run of the mill SoCal camping musts or things people generally forget to bring that are noobs?

mp, that's what thunderstorms are like out here. It's awesome.

Brandon, why not just bring one of those retractable leashes and a kennel? There is no dog on the planet that won't chase after squirrels.

We could and have one. I think we want to experiment with him (sounds stupid typing it, I know) and let him get out like we want to. He's bordeline to being off a leash....close enough to consider. Being summer, camping is out of the question with the heat in SoCal, but if we could get him ready and get prepped for when it cools in the fall we might try it out in an isolated area.

We may have to try a desert style camp ground first.....the more bare the better he sets the parameter in staying with us.

We could and have one. I think we want to experiment with him (sounds stupid typing it, I know) and let him get out like we want to. He's bordeline to being off a leash....close enough to consider. Being summer, camping is out of the question with the heat in SoCal, but if we could get him ready and get prepped for when it cools in the fall we might try it out in an isolated area.

We may have to try a desert style camp ground first.....the more bare the better he sets the parameter in staying with us.

The mountains don't get very hot in SoCal.  But I hear you on the desert. 

What type of small dog?  If it's a breed that likes to eat everything until they explode, you have to be careful about the dog eating poisonous plants and berries. 

Not sure as we rescued him from under a car as a homeless dog as a puppy, three months according to the vet. The vet has him listed as a chihuahua, but he is a mix of that breed, weiner dog, min pin, rat terrier. So the small type and for the most part timid, but with the small man and protective syndrome. He doesn't eat random stuff......he likes his food and anything I eat.

Maybe I should start a thread on how to train a dog to camp to not derail this one.

All prep questions. I hate the heat and it only attracts bugs and shit. I'm thinking down the road to bust out the tent.

I got what I think is good advice from a vet. 

He said when traveling, you should give your dog the same amount of care and concern as an infant or child the same weight, all for the same reasons.  Blood loss, snake or spider bites, dehydration, ingesting poisonous foods, etc becomes life threatening really fast, and you can't call 911 for a dog. 

Any recommendations for run of the mill SoCal camping musts or things people generally forget to bring that are noobs?

I haven't done SoCal but used to make regular weekend diving trips to the Red Sea. Here's a few of my personal preferences.

I always douse my delicate parts in Gold Bond. A rash in the wrong spot can ruin your day.

I bring foam ear plugs or ear muffs because I hate getting sand in my ears when I sleep.

Bring enough zip locks to keep all your electronics or anything else you don't want to be soaked or full of sand protected

. I always bring a cot because I hate sleeping on the ground, even if I have an air mattress, but that's mostly because we always use open Bedouin tents.

I also carry a velcro fastening reflective belt for night visibility and as a way to carry my Leatherman and Mini Mag holders when I'm wearing a wetsuit.

Yeah a Leatherman is a must.  Or at least a good multi tool.  Honestly even a decent Leatherman costs $75+, if you aren't using it that often its probably not worth buying.  There are other kits you can find around $35-50 that might be more worth it.  I have a Smith and Wesson multi tool and knife that I use for fishing that has been perfect.  I eventually dropped $ on a better knife but I probably didn't need to.

I have the same question as Brandon though.  Outside of lantern, flashlight, cot, mattress, tent (mallet for tent stakes), tarp (for under the tent), knife, dog leash, dog bed, sunscreen, insect repellant.  What am I missing?  We are going with another family that is bringing a small bbq and food.  There is a huge lake so I am bringing my fishing gear.

Brandon, I don't think it matters if this thread got derailed, as long as it is helpful.  The property I live on is 1 acre and there are no fences.  There is quite a bit of tree line that sort of works as a fence for the dog but during the winter/spring before the leaves came back she would gladly chase a squirrel or rabbit right through them.  I would consider her a well trained dog, normally she comes when we call her, doesn't run off, etc but as soon as there is something to chase like that, forget about it.  We asked a trainer about it and they basically told us there is nothing you can do.

Edited by nate

http://m.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/family-camping-checklist.html

Since you are going as a group with kids try the REI check list. It is a little over the top but you can copy/paste and remove and add what you feel is necessary. Let the experienced guys bring the kitchen stuff like stoves but make sure you bring up back up stuff like pot holders that always seem to be forgotten.

One thing to remember for the tent is a waterproof tarp. It is more for protecting the tent from tears but if you do get rain it is an added layer of protection from ground water seeping through. The rest of the year you can use it to cover your snowblower.

Edited by Eric Notti

Has anyone ever camped with or without a tent, dangerously close to lightning strikes? 

My dad and I were in the deep Mojave Desert, near Cima, when the alternator on his truck failed.  By the time we found a way to call for help (this was pre-cell phone days) the tow company in Baker said they couldn't drive that far until the next day.  We slept in the bed of the truck (no tent) until we were rudely awakened by thunder and lightning.  I've never seen so much lightning in my life.  We sat inside the truck, hands off any metal surfaces expecting to be struck next.  The frequency of the lightning strikes was so often (every few seconds), you could read a book if you wanted to, but the brightness became too painful to keep our eyes open. 

The tow truck arrived a little after 6:00am.  On the way back to Baker, we counted six Joshua Trees actively on fire and several others that exploded into pieces.  I remember the tow truck driver having to weave around pieces of wood that landed on the road. 

P.S. Good thread, nate!

We were caught in a huge lightening/hail storm in the Yosemite backcountry last year. Not the lightening a few seconds off...the lightening/thunder simultaneous. Friggen scary, hair on the arms standing on edge. Our reading said find a stand of trees, smaller than the trees around it that look like it hasn't been hit before. Stay out of puddles. Longest 30 minutes I can remember in a long time....and I'm not sure that was really the best strategy outside of the fact we didn't get hit by lightening. An inch of hail on the ground by the time it was done, luckily our tent withstood the pelting rain and small river that ran through the campsite.

Yeah a Leatherman is a must.  Or at least a good multi tool.  Honestly even a decent Leatherman costs $75+, if you aren't using it that often its probably not worth buying.  There are other kits you can find around $35-50 that might be more worth it.  I have a Smith and Wesson multi tool and knife that I use for fishing that has been perfect.  I eventually dropped $ on a better knife but I probably didn't need to.

I have the same question as Brandon though.  Outside of lantern, flashlight, cot, mattress, tent (mallet for tent stakes), tarp (for under the tent), knife, dog leash, dog bed, sunscreen, insect repellant.  What am I missing?  We are going with another family that is bringing a small bbq and food.  There is a huge lake so I am bringing my fishing gear.

Brandon, I don't think it matters if this thread got derailed, as long as it is helpful.  The property I live on is 1 acre and there are no fences.  There is quite a bit of tree line that sort of works as a fence for the dog but during the winter/spring before the leaves came back she would gladly chase a squirrel or rabbit right through them.  I would consider her a well trained dog, normally she comes when we call her, doesn't run off, etc but as soon as there is something to chase like that, forget about it.  We asked a trainer about it and they basically told us there is nothing you can do.

We just put a bin together, so every time we go we just grab the bins. Every few trips we review the bins to see if we are actually using what we bring. Some other items we like to have, an axe for breaking up wood, something for stirring the fire, a 2 to 3 gallon water skin - it's great for washing hands, cooking, cleaning. We also have a small bucket/dishwashing set. Rope, lots of uses plus you can use it as a clothes line for towels and stuff. Aluminum foil is always handy. Lots of warm clothes as well, it gets cold in the mountains when the sun goes down. Cold makes people miserable.

But most importantly...a good way to make coffee...because there is nothing as great as a quiet morning drinking coffee while looking at the lake....except maybe watching the sun go down while drinking a beer.

Something I haven't seen mentioned so far is...

Propane. While fires are so nice to have, with the drought conditions fires are illegal in many (most) areas right now, and even where they are permitted, they aren't the best idea. Plus, if you don't have a big firewood pile in your yard like I do, it's expensive.

Propane stoves and lanterns are a must for obvious reasons.

The small propane canisters don't last very long, so if you are going to use them...bring way more than you think you will use.

We have a distribution pole that fits on top of a 5 gallon propane tank (like the tank on a BBQ). It connects to the tank and has 3 outlets for appliances and a place to screw in the lantern at the top.

Also, a folding table is worth the space in the car, unless you know there will be a picnic table to use in the campsite.

Even when we have a picnic table in the campsite, an extra table is always nice.

We were caught in a huge lightening/hail storm in the Yosemite backcountry last year. Not the lightening a few seconds off...the lightening/thunder simultaneous. Friggen scary, hair on the arms standing on edge. Our reading said find a stand of trees, smaller than the trees around it that look like it hasn't been hit before. Stay out of puddles. Longest 30 minutes I can remember in a long time....and I'm not sure that was really the best strategy outside of the fact we didn't get hit by lightening. An inch of hail on the ground by the time it was done, luckily our tent withstood the pelting rain and small river that ran through the campsite.

This sounds pretty badass and a great story to tell.

We just put a bin together, so every time we go we just grab the bins. Every few trips we review the bins to see if we are actually using what we bring. Some other items we like to have, an axe for breaking up wood, something for stirring the fire, a 2 to 3 gallon water skin - it's great for washing hands, cooking, cleaning. We also have a small bucket/dishwashing set. Rope, lots of uses plus you can use it as a clothes line for towels and stuff. Aluminum foil is always handy. Lots of warm clothes as well, it gets cold in the mountains when the sun goes down. Cold makes people miserable.

But most importantly...a good way to make coffee...because there is nothing as great as a quiet morning drinking coffee while looking at the lake....except maybe watching the sun go down while drinking a beer.

We have had a couple of those, with golf ball sized hail.  It is nuts.  Totally destroys cars.

May sound silly to people used to being in the woods..but to people that are new to camping:

Bring water.

Don't drink from streams, lakes etc, no matter how clean they might look.

We fill a couple of the cylindrical Igloo coolers, like the ones you see on work trucks.

Also a solar shower bag is sure nice to have.