• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ultra Mega Outdoors/Camping Thread

You're right Red, I do remember paying a one time fee. I wish I had more money to spend at REI. It's like an adult outdoorsman Toys R Us!

"Honey, I gotta get this fishing knife that can cut bone!"

"Babe, you don't even fish"

"Well of course I don't, because I don't have a fishing knife"

You're right Red, I do remember paying a one time fee. I wish I had more money to spend at REI. It's like an adult outdoorsman Toys R Us!

"Honey, I gotta get this fishing knife that can cut bone!"

"Babe, you don't even fish"

"Well of course I don't, because I don't have a fishing knife"

Hey, why were you recording the wife and mine's conversation?

Or, something along these lines

"Hey, check out this compass!"

"Babe, you already have 2 compasses, and you don't know how to use either one of them"

"Yeah, but this one has a mirror, so you can use it to check your makeup!"

...punch to the arm....

awesome, I've had that conversation as well.

Another favorite

"Check out this Indiana Jones hat!"

"You never wear hats"

"Because I don't have an Indiana Jones hat"

"You have 10 hats just like that you already don't wear"

"Just like you and purses...hey, babe, where are you going...what about the hat?"

He is my favorite expert they call in on the show.  I would love to pick his brain and listen to his stories.

How much of it is in his head and how much of it is researchers from the History channel feeding the info to him?

Mark is pretty knowledgeable on his own (obviously) in a wide range of subjects. He's the head guy for a whole system of museums around Vegas, Searchlight, etc. I'm not privy to all the workings of the show itself, but I do know that they are usually given some time to do a little research on items before they appear to authenticate them. I do some work for the local museum here in Mariposa, and he is a go-to guy for us on mining equipment and some other articles from the gold rush era.

Hey Homebrewer, how did you make your way to live in Mariposa?

An old friend of mine moved up here many years ago, and I would visit 2 or 3 times a year.

When I decided to get out of the OC, I had made a lot of friends in the area, so this was an easy choice.

Did you buy up there? Was it hard finding a job to support yourself and/or family you had?

My wife and I always love the mountains (especially southern/central Sierras) but I have a great job now and would be afraid to lose it just to relocate.

I bought 10 acres next door to my oldest friend, and we started a small business (Homebrew Supply), which has morphed into a custom malting house. We malt and roast custom grains in small batches for craft brewers and distillers.

Don't quit your job to come here! There is nothing for work in this area. I know a lot of people that would live here if there was any work.

Edited by Homebrewer

So glad I could move my job with me.

Mountain towns are usually retirement areas or summer homes.

I think we may go the rental route.  I love REI but I always spend way too much money there.  Now that I have been fishing a lot it seems like I am spending $100+ a month on new gear.

Edited by nate

I've been considering getting in to fly fishing. We recently moved up from the camping to the trailer and plan on spending a lot of time in the Eastern Sierra's (as a part time photographer, it's just one image opportunity after another). Anyone have a good suggestion on the best way to dip the toe in to the fly fishing waters?

Get a good pair of waders.

Other than that, the advice that I got that seems to be legit is you don't have to go mega expensive with the rod/reel.  The mid priced stuff is really good unless you are a pro.

The other thing is go to a sporting goods/hunting shop in the area you plan on fishing and ask them what kinda setup they like using, what kinda bait, etc.  There is usually someone there that can give you all the advice you need.

Finally, I love going on all the different forums and checking out different instructional youtube videos.

The vast majority of people in my area are either retired, or work for the major employer in this area, the Federal Gov..

(Yosemite NP) Most of my immediate neighbors are retired FROM the National Park Service.

The rest are locals who grew up here. There is a hillbilly underbelly up here that I would never have expected before I came here to live, and all the inbreeding, domestic violence, and other problems that go along with that.

Local government and LE are an old boys network right out of Boss Hog.

It's "interesting" to say the least.

But we do have the quiet, the wildlife, (deer, turkeys, foxes and coyotes, bobcats, bears.. I saw a bear cub on my road last week...an occasional mountain lion..and a river full of trout right now..DFG is stocking the heck out of it because they are concerned that the hatchery (Below Hetch Hetchy) is going to run out of water before the end of the summer.

We smoke 25-30 of them at least once a week..

I've been considering getting in to fly fishing. We recently moved up from the camping to the trailer and plan on spending a lot of time in the Eastern Sierra's (as a part time photographer, it's just one image opportunity after another). Anyone have a good suggestion on the best way to dip the toe in to the fly fishing waters?

Walker River (north of Bridgeport) is all native and that's the closest place here where Fly fishing is really good. Being native the trout there are insect eaters that will take flies on the surface. I'm mostly a spinner-bait guy.

Bridgeport and Lee Vining are know for the quaking aspen when they turn colors in late summer. People come from all over the world to photograph it.

Do you know if it's hard getting a job as a forest ranger?

If you have a degree in forestry or wildlife management, no. But the pay is pretty low until you work your way through the ranks.

The other job there is LE. The rangers mostly come from the elite military units these days.

Walker River (north of Bridgeport) is all native and that's the closest place here where Fly fishing is really good. Being native the trout there are insect eaters that will take flies on the surface. I'm mostly a spinner-bait guy.

Bridgeport and Lee Vining are know for the quaking aspen when they turn colors in late summer. People come from all over the world to photograph it.

I've spent a lot a good portion of time photographing those areas, I love the Alabama Hills area. Bishop Creek is a favorite of my around the fall, and the area around North Lake. This Labor Day we are going to spend a week up near South Lake. Too soon for fall color, but it will give us a chance to do some hiking up towards Bishop Pass.

This thread is backed hard.

Nate, change the title to the Ultra Mega Outdoors/Camping Thread so we can keep it going year round.

Done.

Homebrewer, I love all the wildlife out here.  I see Turkeys, Deer, Rabbits, Foxes all the time.

I live less than a mile from the Milwaukee river and about two miles from Lake Michigan so there is some great fishing out here.  Of course there are a ton of lakes you can fish from as well.

I don't fly fish as much just because I don't like it as much as shore fishing.  Some live nightcrawlers or spinnerbaits are all I need.

Fly fishing is hard at first but once you get it you will be HOOKED.

I've spent a lot a good portion of time photographing those areas, I love the Alabama Hills area. Bishop Creek is a favorite of my around the fall, and the area around North Lake. This Labor Day we are going to spend a week up near South Lake. Too soon for fall color, but it will give us a chance to do some hiking up towards Bishop Pass.

Took a back country trip (4WD) last year and headed east out of Bodie. We had always wondered what was out there.

Lots of old mining towns, beautiful very lonely area...

Edited by Homebrewer

Took a back country trip (4WD) last year and headed east out of Bodie. We had always wondered what was out there.

Lots of old mining towns, beautiful very lonely area...

How rough is that road? We have a xTerra Pro4x, would it handle the road without any problems?

I photographed Bodie a few years ago. Wasn't overly impressed with what I came back with...but it wasn't an issue with the location, it had more to do with time of day and too many people in the way.

I recently saw an article, they do a monthly Bodie at night event once a month during the New Moon. Looks pretty awesome, unfortunately it's not something we can get up there for this year.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/worth-the-trip/Rare-Chance-See-Bodie-Ghost-Town-by-Night-262590301.html

Those old mining towns are really cool.  Love the history.

Most everything is pretty picked over in the west these days. Then you have the vandalism and the scrappers who have ruined so many cool places. I've been involved with our local museum to rescue mining equipment before the scrappers can get it all.

We have two complete and working stamp mills now. We give talks to school groups etc, and actually run the mills for them, crushing quartz ore.

If you enjoy that kind of thing, and want to see what the old mines and towns were like back in the 40's-50's-60's before they were so picked over..

Here you go...warning...these are very addicting!

http://mydesertmagazine.com/Desert_magazine_archive.html