• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WHY???

In 2012 Dipoto dumped Bobby Abreu after batting .208 in just 8 games. They called up Trout. I think that Ibanez takes up a nice roster spot from someone. They have plenty of veteran leadership in Pujols, Howie and Weaver. I just don't think that they want to eat the $2,100,000 that they owe him this early. Matsui was a much better DH and they ran him out of town.

We have a Trout in the minors???  Hell bring him up.  I am all for dumping Ibanez if we have the top prospect in the minor leagues ready to come up.

You guys would screw up a nocturnal emission!!

Really guys? we are playing the best baseball so far this season and you want to make changes?

Ibanez has had some pretty clutch hits this season. Late in the game I would rather have him at bat than someone who is still shaking when they come up to bat.

Oh by the way!! we have won 3 in a row, not sure how much that is worth anymore.

He is starting to work counts and draw walks. He should come out of it soon. I'd ride him for a couple more weeks and still keep him as the last guy on the bench. He can still hit a late inning HR

You guys would screw up a nocturnal emission!!

Really guys? we are playing the best baseball so far this season and you want to make changes?

Ibanez has had some pretty clutch hits this season. Late in the game I would rather have him at bat than someone who is still shaking when they come up to bat.

Oh by the way!! we have won 3 in a row, not sure how much that is worth anymore.

Uh, the Angels are winning despite Ibanez, not because of him. And most here want to keep him for his bat off the bench, they just don't want to see him starting regularly anymore.

Speaking of overreacting....

Uh, the Angels are winning despite Ibanez, not because of him. And most here want to keep him for his bat off the bench, they just don't want to see him starting regularly anymore.

Speaking of overreacting....

My bad, must of been reading a different thread.

As far as I can see, most want him gone.

Let me get my glasses and try this again.

Edited by 19HALO71

Ibanez has nothing left in the tank.

June 2013........262

July 2013..........269

August 2013.....235

Sept 2013.........200

April 2014.........165

May 2014..........071

Explanation.......Dipoto would have to ask Arte for $2,100,000 just to get rid of him. I don't think he wants to make that phone call.

Compared to $8 million to jettison Blanton, $16 million to jettison Appier, and $20 million to jettison GMJ, $2 million for Ibanez is chump change.

That being said, give him two more weeks BUT no more at bats vs lefties. Give Cron all of those at the least.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Ibanez for the most part sucks; however, he has been pretty clutch in the late innings as a pinch hitter.  Since he isn't blocking anyone in the minors, I say keep him for the role. 

Ibanez's clutch stats 

He's 3-21 when the game is tied. .143

He's 4-22 when it's late and close .182

There's nothing clutch about that.

Over the next week the Angels face 3 righties and 3 lefties. So there's plenty of opportunity for Scioscia to give all the guys chances with platoons

Green/Navarro

Cron/Ibanez

Even Conger/Iannetta

There's no reason to shake up anything at the moment. Now, if they hit a stretch of righties, that's when you'll see some decisions. I don't think they are going to have Cron or Green sit for 4-5 days in a row, so that's when you're going to start seeing those guys play against some righties.

When Calhoun/Hamilton come back, that's when some roster decisions will be made. Navarro will almost certainly be gone then, because there's no place for him to play. If Cron is still outperforming Ibanez when Calhoun AND Hamilton come back, that's when you may see a move with Ibanez. But not before.

Over the next week the Angels face 3 righties and 3 lefties. So there's plenty of opportunity for Scioscia to give all the guys chances with platoons

Green/Navarro

Cron/Ibanez

Even Conger/Iannetta

There's no reason to shake up anything at the moment. Now, if they hit a stretch of righties, that's when you'll see some decisions. I don't think they are going to have Cron or Green sit for 4-5 days in a row, so that's when you're going to start seeing those guys play against some righties.

When Calhoun/Hamilton come back, that's when some roster decisions will be made. Navarro will almost certainly be gone then, because there's no place for him to play. If Cron is still outperforming Ibanez when Calhoun AND Hamilton come back, that's when you may see a move with Ibanez. But not before.

Here's a reason to shake things up at the moment: Ibanez is hitting .139 and is 41 years old. Cron is raking and is a young prospect with potential.  Why wouldn't you rather give as much PT as possible to the latter? 

Green/Navarro

Cron/Ibanez

Even Conger/Iannetta

Jeff, I think everyone's problem is the fact that Ibanez has little to no shot at getting back into form at this point. Considering his age, and his tailing off last year, he has shown zero signs that he will return to form. People wanna see Ibanez gone and RJ Alvarez. Bedrosian, or Sisk come up and further solidify this bullpen. At this point Ibanez is going to continue to provide negative contributions to the team while taking a roster spot that could be used for positive contributions.

Jeff, I think everyone's problem is the fact that Ibanez has little to no shot at getting back into form at this point. Considering his age, and his tailing off last year, he has shown zero signs that he will return to form. People wanna see Ibanez gone and RJ Alvarez. Bedrosian, or Sisk come up and further solidify this bullpen. At this point Ibanez is going to continue to provide negative contributions to the team while taking a roster spot that could be used for positive contributions.

Bam! Jeff you should be allowed to quote this in the OC Register.  This is spot on.  

That's what I'm saying. It makes no sense to carry a 41 year old DH/PH with all that youth. Maybe they have to justify that Ibanez is being paid more than Conger, Cowgill, Calhoun and McDonald combined.

I disagree that he has "no shot" of getting back to form because he did it last year. Yes he slumped at the end of last season but the Mariners had also been playing him everyday in the outfield, which the Angels aren't doing. I think the walks he's drawn are a sign that he may improve.

I'm not saying he should stay on the team all year hitting .140. And I'm not even saying he should play against all righties now.

I'm only saying that, for now, when there's really no one else to take his roster spot, he needs to play some if he has any chance to be productive. And as long as the schedule is providing enough lefties for Cron to still play significant time (if not every day), there's no reason to not keep him around.

You need to give him a chance to show if he's going to turn it around now because now is when you have the roster flexibility to keep him. Once Hamilton and Calhoun come back, you don't.

I expect Ibanez and Cron to basically play 50-50 for the next 2 weeks or so. If he's not doing better then, release him.

By the way, no DH for 2 days. Ibanez will probably play left on Wednesday. Cron won't start in Philadelphia.