• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WHY???

That's what I'm saying. It makes no sense to carry a 41 year old DH/PH with all that youth. Maybe they have to justify that Ibanez is being paid more than Conger, Cowgill, Calhoun and McDonald combined.

Hamiltown, why does it always come down to money with you? I could totally see it if we were talking about Wells or Hamilton last year, but we are talking about a $2.1 million contract. When Freese was starting over Stewart was it because he made more money? Where's Blanton at, he must be getting starts over Skaggs and Richards right? You're he gets paid more philosophy only works when it's a big contract.

I disagree that he has "no shot" of getting back to form because he did it last year. Yes he slumped at the end of last season but the Mariners had also been playing him everyday in the outfield, which the Angels aren't doing. I think the walks he's drawn are a sign that he may improve.

I'm not saying he should stay on the team all year hitting .140. And I'm not even saying he should play against all righties now.

I'm only saying that, for now, when there's really no one else to take his roster spot, he needs to play some if he has any chance to be productive. And as long as the schedule is providing enough lefties for Cron to still play significant time (if not every day), there's no reason to not keep him around.

You need to give him a chance to show if he's going to turn it around now because now is when you have the roster flexibility to keep him. Once Hamilton and Calhoun come back, you don't.

I expect Ibanez and Cron to basically play 50-50 for the next 2 weeks or so. If he's not doing better then, release him.

By the way, no DH for 2 days. Ibanez will probably play left on Wednesday. Cron won't start in Philadelphia.

no one to take his roster spot? I don't believe that for a second.

Ibanez has a -0.7 WAR this season. I'm fairly certain we have several guys that can do better than that. There's absolutely no need to wait around for Ibanez to "figure it out.". This guy is killing us right now

Over the next week the Angels face 3 righties and 3 lefties. So there's plenty of opportunity for Scioscia to give all the guys chances with platoons

Green/Navarro

Cron/Ibanez

Even Conger/Iannetta

There's no reason to shake up anything at the moment. Now, if they hit a stretch of righties, that's when you'll see some decisions. I don't think they are going to have Cron or Green sit for 4-5 days in a row, so that's when you're going to start seeing those guys play against some righties.

When Calhoun/Hamilton come back, that's when some roster decisions will be made. Navarro will almost certainly be gone then, because there's no place for him to play. If Cron is still outperforming Ibanez when Calhoun AND Hamilton come back, that's when you may see a move with Ibanez. But not before.

He's had a few clutch hits over the years but who hasn't? Sometimes it's just your day or dumb luck. He's had plenty more bad days than good since 2011. In fact he's been on a steady decline for four straight seasons. He's over compensated and simply put he's done! If we're looking to challenge for a world championship you can't do it with a .140 hitting DH that can't hit left handing pitching to save his life. He's 41 so it's time to say thank you and goodbye.

no one to take his roster spot? I don't believe that for a second.

Ibanez has a -0.7 WAR this season. I'm fairly certain we have several guys that can do better than that. There's absolutely no need to wait around for Ibanez to "figure it out.". This guy is killing us right now

Killing us?

He's accounting for about 4 pct of the teams PA's right now. And the Angels are leading the league in runs.

There is no harm in giving him 5-6 starts over the next 2 weeks to make a more informed judgment before you actually have to make a decision because Calhoun/Hamilton need roster spots.

I don't think the Angels are going to let this go on too long, so you guys shouldn't be freaked out about it.

Killing us?

He's accounting for about 4 pct of the teams PA's right now. And the Angels are leading the league in runs.

There is no harm in giving him 5-6 starts over the next 2 weeks to make a more informed judgment before you actually have to make a decision because Calhoun/Hamilton need roster spots.

I don't think the Angels are going to let this go on too long, so you guys shouldn't be freaked out about it.

you think the cardinals, or rays, or red sox or any other good organization would keep a non producer around? Even if the offense is good, there's no excuse for a wasted roster spot just because.

as for your last line, welcome to aw.com

you think the cardinals, or rays, or red sox or any other good organization would keep a non producer around? Even if the offense is good, there's no excuse for a wasted roster spot just because.

as for your last line, welcome to AW.com

2 out of the 3 teams you mentioned are under .500. And the Red Sox are only one game over, not sure what point you were trying to make.

He is starting to work counts and draw walks. He should come out of it soon. I'd ride him for a couple more weeks and still keep him as the last guy on the bench. He can still hit a late inning HR

7 walks in his last 14 PAs now

I find it hilarious that on a team starving for clutch hits, Ibanez leads this team in RBI's per AB (.184).  Compare that to Trout at .153, and Pujols at .142.  He is also tied for 32nd in the AL in RBI's on considerably fewer AB's than just about everyone ahead of him.

Get the pen figured out and you can keep a guy like Ibanez to be a late inning bat off the bench. I could see a scenario where they will attempt to keep him but the need will arise to call up another arm, Alvarez or Bedrosian, and Ibanez is the one that goes.

Bedrosian had another 1 IP, 3 K performance last night. Won't be long.

.990 OPS with RISP, and he's especially good when 2+ runners are on. He's got 2 of the 4 hits the Angels have with the bases loaded all year.

I don't know what it is, but he's got a "clutch" reputation that scares opposing pitchers in these situations, and a professional yet aggressive approach that produces a quality AB.

It's also worth noting that he's an extreme pull hitter from the left side, and with the shift, he's rarely going to hit into rally killing double plays.

I say keep him for pinch hitting duties.

I would not want Ibanez getting so many at-bats even if he had 50% more hits.

This team needs to develop future everyday players. Ibanez has no role with this team going forward. Let some young guy come out and take those at-bats. Ibanez needs to be REALLY raking to justify the signing. Vernon Wells was younger and had a higher OPS than this turd.

This team needs to develop future everyday players. Ibanez has no role with this team going forward. Let some young guy come out and take those at-bats. Ibanez needs to be REALLY raking to justify the signing. Vernon Wells was younger and had a higher OPS than this turd.

I agree.  I totally believe he's a good guy in the clubhouse so make him a coach already and let him take that next step towards his next career.  Ibanez has that same air about him that Chili Davis did, people gravitate towards him and he does everything the right way.... Just keep him away from defensive drills because like Chili he can't' field to save his life.

Epic post. This stat in question is about as valid as a future indication of performance as DH-ERA...

It was tongue in cheek boys, don't take it so seriously, it's a completely made up fictisious stat I dreamt up in my mind, LOL.  I was more poking fun at the stat geeks.  He's likely gone when everyone is healthy, if there is such a time.  It will rankle me though when he goes to a contender and rakes later this year.

Edited by tomsred

Not sure i understand your point. Ibanez is producing with clutch at bats. Because with 50% more hits, the Angels would have a few more wins. Isn't winning paramount to anything else?

It was tongue in cheek boys, don't take it so seriously, it's a completely made up fictisious stat I dreamt up in my mind, LOL.  I was more poking fun at the stat geeks.  He's likely gone when everyone is healthy, if there is such a time.  It will rankle me though when he goes to a contender and rakes later this year.

What I liked best about your post is the guys who walked right into the trap. The didn't just step into it, they laid their neck down on it.

What I liked best about your post is the guys who walked right into the trap. The didn't just step into it, they laid their neck down on it.

Yeah, it's a susceptible crowd, LOL!

The funny part about stats in today's baseball is that you can really just make shi* like this up, and pass it off for real.  Then there are moments like last night, when you can throw all the stats out the window and pow, something wonderful happens.

It applies to managing as well.  Sometimes you have to buck the stats and odds, and just go with your gut feel given the circumstances and other factors.  When it works that's great (and fans think it's lucky), when it doesn't managers get crucified because the black and white numbers don't support the decision.

Edited by tomsred

Not sure i understand your point. Ibanez is producing with clutch at bats. Because with 50% more hits, the Angels would have a few more wins. Isn't winning paramount to anything else?

He's not producing. How many wins has his crappy play cost us?

The funny part about stats in today's baseball is that you can really just make shi* like this up, and pass it off for real. 

you mean like all those years were baseball players were evaluated by "how they looked in the box" and if they "had a good body" and had a "nice sweet swing"

yeah that totally wasn't making s*** up.

backpedaled like a m'fer