• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bedrock, Alvarez & Morin watch!

Chuck

Looks like Baseball a Prospectus sees a lot of the same things in Reynolds I do. There's something there, but he'll need to sharpen up a secondary pitch, otherwise he'll be a Mark Lowe type.

As for Morin being the least of the 3 headed monster, I think that's inaccurate or more preference based. He doesn't throw as hard as Bedrock or Alvarez, but he throws more strikes and is just as effective if not more so. I think they'll all end up being pretty good, Morin's just the first to arrive because he's the most polished and was a good college closer.

The Angels‘ struggling bullpen could get a boost from the farm system very soon, Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times writes. GM Jerry Dipoto said that Double-A right-handers R.J. Alvarez and Cam Bedrosian could both be “a phone call away. They’re doing it against high-level professional hitters. I feel like both can help sooner rather than later.”

The Angels‘ struggling bullpen could get a boost from the farm system very soon, Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times writes. GM Jerry Dipoto said that Double-A right-handers R.J. Alvarez and Cam Bedrosian could both be “a phone call away. They’re doing it against high-level professional hitters. I feel like both can help sooner rather than later.”

Very pleased to see this. 

RJ Alvarez still hasn't been scored upon. 2 innings, 2 strikeouts tonight. SICK! 

Will be curious to see how this bullpen shapes up.  To me, it seems like it's going to be an shapeless organism that's ever-changing.  And by that I mean one week Jepsen will be the setup man while Salas and Kohn struggle, the next Salas is the setup man, the next DDLR is back, the next Morin develops into our primary setup man, the next it'll be Smith or Frieri.

Ideally, I'd like to see a bullpen with Frieri, Smith, Salas, DDLR, Burnett, Morin and Alvarez.  But reality skews that picture.  Burnett seems unlikely to throw another pitch for the Angels, we'll see if DDLR's arm holds up after the monstrous workload he endured in 2013, Kohn and Jepsen for better or for worse have a spot on this team and the organization seems content to put Morin in mop up situations and force Alvarez and Bedrock to stay in AA even though they aren't being challenged.

Will be curious to see how this bullpen shapes up.  To me, it seems like it's going to be an shapeless organism that's ever-changing.  And by that I mean one week Jepsen will be the setup man while Salas and Kohn struggle, the next Salas is the setup man, the next DDLR is back, the next Morin develops into our primary setup man, the next it'll be Smith or Frieri.

Ideally, I'd like to see a bullpen with Frieri, Smith, Salas, DDLR, Burnett, Morin and Alvarez.  But reality skews that picture.  Burnett seems unlikely to throw another pitch for the Angels, we'll see if DDLR's arm holds up after the monstrous workload he endured in 2013, Kohn and Jepsen for better or for worse have a spot on this team and the organization seems content to put Morin in mop up situations and force Alvarez and Bedrock to stay in AA even though they aren't being challenged.

Scioscia will use Morin/Bedrock/Alvarez in high pressure situations, but not in their first, second or even third appearances. I don't blame them. Let them get comfortable in the big leagues first before they're thrown into the fire. 

In a perfect world, that's a good approach.  You don't want them to be thrown into the fire immediately, but when Jepsen and Kohn turn the 6th and 7th innings into a raging dumpster fire as they're prone to do, we'll likely be forced to use Morin to quench that inferno.  

Let's hope that Frieri can continue to look like he has against his past 11 batters faced.

Ultimately by mid-season? Smith, Frieri, Morin, DDLR, Alvarez, and Salas would be a good 1 through 6. They also would be a good alternating between finesse and dominating stuff.

Who's the lefty though? Burnett can't get to pitching in actual games. Maronde has control issues.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Could be reading too much into this but both Alvarez and Bedrosian were not used in today's game despite only having a 2-run lead. This could be just to give them rest as they both had extended appearances in yesterday's game. Alvarez threw 38 pitches while Bedrock threw 26. You know what, it's probably that. Scratch that first thing.

Could be reading too much into this but both Alvarez and Bedrosian were not used in today's game despite only having a 2-run lead. This could be just to give them rest as they both had extended appearances in yesterday's game. Alvarez threw 38 pitches while Bedrock threw 26. You know what, it's probably that. Scratch that first thing.

Yeah, definitely has to be it. 

I've been super impressed with Morin. He does something this own doesn't do: He throws strikes.

His fastball velo has been good, sitting around 93-94, his changeup is absolutely SICK. I've seen it anywhere from 73-81, which is a huge change of speed. He also doesn't slow his arm down and tip the pitch much whatsoever.

Also saw the slider for the first time, which was a little better than I expected. Nothing special but it's a good change of look pitch.

I like the fact the Alvarez has pitched multiple innings several times this season.  Some of it was probably due to a rain out or two, but not all of it.  I hate the idea of limiting one of the best pitchers on your staff to 60 innings per season.  If the Angels do develop another Scot Shields, I hope they they let him go 80-100.  120 or so is probably feasible, but way too crazy for MLB, where things do not seem to change very quickly.  

I like the fact the Alvarez has pitched multiple innings several times this season. Some of it was probably due to a rain out or two, but not all of it. I hate the idea of limiting one of the best pitchers on your staff to 60 innings per season. If the Angels do develop another Scot Shields, I hope they they let him go 80-100. 120 or so is probably feasible, but way too crazy for MLB, where things do not seem to change very quickly.

Word!