• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is it time to move Albert Pujols down in the lineup?

Chuck

#3 slot is the 5th best hitter???  on what planet?

Trout would be hitting 3rd on any team not run by Scioscia/Pujols

Anyone remember Abreu?...he hit 3rd even tho he was mush at the plate, pretty much like Pujols

Move Trout to 3rd, Hamilton, then Pujols

I'm glad you've addressed this, Chuck (and surprised, ha). Moving Albert from #3 is blatant to everyone, but I assume he won't be moving in the lineup unless it's his own choosing. I also doubt anyone has the stones to tell him he's not batting 3rd anymore.

There a roughly 0% chance of this happening. Albert doesn't listen to Scioscia or anyone for that matter, and he's chronicled this behavior in many instances. His stubbornness and ego were the reasons he missed all of last year. Having Pujols at the 3 spot is like giving a blind man a guide cat instead of a guide dog. Poor 3's kill any sort of run production, end offensive rallies, and create undesirable situations for the cleanup hitter. It's a very important spot.

In other words: Kole and Trout get on base and Pujols GIDP or (barely) reaches on a fielder's choice; the brilliant cleanup hitter, Freese will end the inning via K or self immolation.

Scioscia & co. need to quit being so submissive with guys like Pujols (is there anyone like him?). He needs to receive the same treatment everyone else receives. Honestly, I wouldn't mind Don Mattingly coming becoming the skipper and putting Pujols in check.

Edited by failos

As long as the Angels are close to .500 for the month of April, let Pujols remain hitting 3rd in the lineup.

If the Angels offense is struggling to score runs, playing well below .500 and he's batting below the mendoza line, then I would say drop him in the order.

Chuck, I'm glad you've opened your eyes about Pujols. He's struggling at the 3 hole, but I suspect that he won't be moving anywhere in the lineup unless he chooses to do so on his own. Albert doesn't listen to Scioscia or anyone for that matter. His stubbornness and ego is what led him to miss all of last year. His ego is not only hurting his career, it's also killing the team. Having a lackluster hitter at #3 kills this teams chances at producing runs. Scioscia & co. need to quit being so submissive and supress egos in the way Don Mattingly treats Puig.

The manager moves him down and if he refuses to play, well, he gets to ride the pine.

I would bat pujols between hamilton and ibanez. At worst, we wear down the defense by making them shift back and forth 3 hitters in a row. No one wants to walk that far more than once.

Sun tzu psych warfare them to death.

Infield Death March. I like it.

Chuck, I'm glad you've opened your eyes about Pujols. He's struggling at the 3 hole, but I suspect that he won't be moving anywhere in the lineup unless he chooses to do so on his own. Albert doesn't listen to Scioscia or anyone for that matter. His stubbornness and ego is what led him to miss all of last year. His ego is not only hurting his career, it's also killing the team. Having a lackluster hitter at #3 kills this teams chances at producing runs. Scioscia & co. need to quit being so submissive and supress egos in the way Don Mattingly treats Puig.

For $240M he should be willing to sweep the parking lot. Batting third in the lineup is not guaranteed in his contract or a vested right with the MLBPA. Why is everyone so afraid to sit him down and tell it like it is. You kinda suck right now so we need to move you down to 5th or 6th until you start mashing. Thanks......end of discussion.

The manager moves him down and if he refuses to play, well, he gets to ride the pine.

Kinda like when everyone told him to stop playing while injured. Nobody tells him what to do, and he will never ride the pine—that's an unreasonable expectation, and most likely an impossibility.

Edited by failos

For $240M he should be willing to sweep the parking lot. Batting third in the lineup is not guaranteed in his contract or a vested right with the MLBPA. Why is everyone so afraid to sit him down and tell it like it is. You kinda suck right now so we need to move you down to 5th or 6th until you start mashing. Thanks......end of discussion.

I totally agree with you, as do most of us here. I guess this issue is why people assume the coaches ineffective leaders—especially the man at the helm. I love Scioscia and defend him all the time, but the dude needs to start watching episodes of the Sopranos for lessons on assertiveness and unlock his inner Italian mafioso. I'm tired of carefree Scioscia he needs to give more shits.

Maybe Arte stutters when talking to Pujols solely due to fear. I guess that explains how&why he surrendered his franchise to one man.

Edited by failos

Yep.  And this is going to turn out to be the worst contract in Angels history.   Vernon might be relieved to hear that.

We still have 8 years left including this year.  I don't think there is a remote chance that he plays all 10 years of that ridiculously overpaid contract.   I still have hope that he can get it going, but it is painfully obvious that he will never be the same player that he was in St. Louis, and definitely not for 10 years.  Unfortunately for us, we are paying him for his PAST accomplishments and not his current abilities.  And this is not personal.  Albert seems like a great family man.  Great win today.  Wish I could have seen it, but I was working.  

I dunno...

1. Calhoun (obvious)

2. Aybar (can bunt and run; hard to double up)

3. Trout (obvious)

4. Hamilton (mashing)

5. Kendrick (ability to go gap to gap; RBI; something Freese is not doing)

6. Ibanez (R, L, R, L, ...)

7. Pujols (Get act together)

8. Ianetta (Gotta put him somewhere)

9. Freese (singles hitter / flip lineup)

Edited by Itchynut