• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs wins vs Trumbombs

Ill take the trade everytime

That said, while I totally understand the knocks on trumbo, lets wait and see skaggs for a few months before we get too ahead. Im glad as hell to have him, and he looked great tonight. But it was the astros...

Again, lets see how it all plays out. (And either way, it was still the right trade)

I think Trumbo will win NL MVP at some point. The key for Trumbo is to let his natural abilities overcome what he lacks mentally. I don't mean that in a mean way. I just think that when Trumbo starts going on these hitting terrors, his brains starts taking over and he starts thinking too much at the plate and then he starts thinking about hitting the crap out of the ball rather than just hitting the crap out of the ball. He has incredible hitting instincts.

I think he will overcome the mental aspect and put together a full year of off the chart numbers in Arizona. He would have never done this with the Angels. I don't think that was the right environment for him to overcome the mental blocks that would put him in the extended slumps he encountered in Anaheim.

Trumbo will not win an NL MVP at any point

For me it's less about production and more about team needs.  The Angels are a team with a ton of thump, with Trout Pujols, Hamilton and to a certain extent Calhoun, Ibanez, Kendrick and Freese.  They even have some "thump" on the way with Cron, Green, Cowart, Lindsey, Yarbrough and depending on how he progresses, Borenstein. 

What they don't have is pitching.  Losing Trumbo meant losing something we already had in spades.  Perhaps the rest of baseball may be experiencing a power outage or diminished offensive presence but we aren't.

I know that as a result of the trade, we have three young, power arms in our rotation that are under team control for another 5 years.  That's a pretty enviable position to be in.  And a necessary one because as far as I can tell, the only starting caliber pitcher arriving in the next three years is Sappington, and if we're lucky Roth and McGowin. 

I think Trumbo will win NL MVP at some point. The key for Trumbo is to let his natural abilities overcome what he lacks mentally. I don't mean that in a mean way. I just think that when Trumbo starts going on these hitting terrors, his brains starts taking over and he starts thinking too much at the plate and then he starts thinking about hitting the crap out of the ball rather than just hitting the crap out of the ball. He has incredible hitting instincts.

I think he will overcome the mental aspect and put together a full year of off the chart numbers in Arizona. He would have never done this with the Angels. I don't think that was the right environment for him to overcome the mental blocks that would put him in the extended slumps he encountered in Anaheim.

Trumbo is 28 and has been basically the same player for his entire career.  

He's an average, one-tool player.  We should be ecstatic to get not only Skaggs but Santiago as well.

Trumbo could win the NL MVP, but if either Skaggs or Santiago helps the Angels get to the playoffs; then it's a fair trade. One of the rare instances when a trade is a win/win. The Angels NEED pitching to be competitive. Without it, you could kiss the playoffs goodbye.

Nice topic. 40 HRs mean nothing if they were all hit in garbage time, and as someone stated already, none of Trumbo's HRs have contributed to wins.

Skaggs was a great part of the reason we won today. 

So as of now, it's Skaggs 1, Trumbo 0. 

On Recon's post, Masterson apparently turned down the Indians' latest offer. He is a FA after 2014. But if Richards, Santiago, and Skaggs all blossom by the close of the 2014 season, and Weaver and Wilson are still solid then there's no room and then they maybe wait until after 2015.

I don't put much merit in what Chuck said about all Trumbo's home runs have come in losses, or the idea that 40 home runs hit don't matter if he hits them in garbage time. It is under valuing Trumbo and trying to minimize what he is. He is a streaky player for sure but he certainly wasn't unclutch. He had six walk off home runs for the Angels. Trumbo was either really fun to watch or he was tough on the eyes, he was streaky. That being said, you always felt he was one swing away from hitting a ball as far as a ball can be hit and breaking out of a slump. Don't minimize the guy just be happy we got a solid return on the trade.

Trumbo is an all or nothing guy and too streaky. Not minimizing him, I'm maximizing the return investment because due to the need in starting pitching.

Wins is the bottom line. The Angels have enough offense and after losing Vargas and having Blanton/Hanson in our rotation last season, it was imperative to improve our rotation. Not only in 2014, but the foreseeable future. Cron or Borenstein is an adequate replacement for Trumbo down the road. Ibanez will probably hit 5-8 less HR than Trumbo when it is all said and done as well.

When Trumbo goes through his slumps he's terrible. Not only does he not not hit HRs during that stretch, but he strikes out a ton.

It's funny you mention the K's Chuck because so far our replacement for him has struck out a TON. I am not impressed with Ibanez, his bat looks slow and his swing looks long. I will give him time, but it's been pretty ugly so far. I would prefer Green in that spot, less power, less strikeouts but much more productivity and much more flexibility on the roster. Prove me wrong Raul!

It's funny you mention the K's Chuck because so far our replacement for him has struck out a TON. I am not impressed with Ibanez, his bat looks slow and his swing looks long. I will give him time, but it's been pretty ugly so far. I would prefer Green in that spot, less power, less strikeouts but much more productivity and much more flexibility on the roster. Prove me wrong Raul!

Plenty of season left Strads. Both of these guys are the same players IMO. Power, late inning heroic power, lots of Ks, low BA and OBP. Neither are great defensively.

Spot on Strad but I would like to see Cron called up to give him ML experience and prepare him to take over 1st when Pujols becomes our regular DH. That could happen pretty soon if they want to keep Albert off of his legs to keep him fresh and just concentrate on his hitting. The sun is setting on Ibanez.

In Trumbo's 4 games in which he's hit a home run, the Diamondbacks have lost every one of those contests. 

Skaggs pitching on the other hand gave us the ability to score just two runs today to win the game. 

It's a no brainer. 

Agree. Have to like the return we got on the trade. It's win - win for both teams, but the Angels got young cost controlled arms so in my eyes we are ahead in the deal.

^good point scotty

Im wondering if we go after an arm next offseason, or stay the course with long term draft/developing. Personally I dont see any choice but to grab another arm. Weav is getting long in the tooth, cj isnt a kid, etc. Not sure what the FA market looks like though

I think the free agent markets are effected by teams and players signing extensions and the qualifying offer and compensation system, so there isn't as much talent available as in years past. Which is a good thing if you ask me, it encourages players to stick with one team.

I don't think the Angels will pursue major league SP because even though Weav and Wilson are aging, you can't just replace them in the rotation. Wilson I'm perfectly confident in, no diminished stuff, still the same solid #2/3 starter he's always been. Weav, I'm seriously worried about but again, I doubt they full on replace him.

The only itching I see the Angels pursuing is AAA starters and quality RP.

I think the free agent markets are effected by teams and players signing extensions and the qualifying offer and compensation system, so there isn't as much talent available as in years past. Which is a good thing if you ask me, it encourages players to stick with one team.

I don't think the Angels will pursue major league SP because even though Weav and Wilson are aging, you can't just replace them in the rotation. Wilson I'm perfectly confident in, no diminished stuff, still the same solid #2/3 starter he's always been. Weav, I'm seriously worried about but again, I doubt they full on replace him.

The only itching I see the Angels pursuing is AAA starters and quality RP.

I'm one of the bigger Howie fans on here but I would trade him for a Zach Lee type just to add more cost controlled depth to a staff that has three solid young arms.

I'm one of the bigger Howie fans on here but I would trade him for a Zach Lee type just to add more cost controlled depth to a staff that has three solid young arms.

........... I have never seen a pitcher with three arms before. I remember reading about mordecai "3 finger " brown.

In theory another young arm would be great. But I love the fact that Howie and the scarecrow have shared the middle of the infield for 9 years now. That familiarity helps over a long season. And it may make a difference on a big play in the post season. When those two are playing their best they are more than capable of being a championship type middle infield.