• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not chase the ballplayers from Cuba?

joeybaseball

Here are the Angels seen as having the poorest farm system, and especially little in the way of starting pitchers to back up the major league roster, and I keep wondering- why aren't they going after some of these guys coming out of Cuba?

What do they have to lose?

Right now MLB.com is reporting that Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz and fellow Cuban Odrisamer Despaigne (a right-handed pitcher) continue to make their way around Florida for various showcases, tweets Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com. (They had previously appeared in Arizona for teams that hold their springs there.) The pair is expected to appear in front of the Yankees today, says Sanchez.

Other teams participating in talks with Diaz include the Giants, Blue Jays, Yankees, Braves, Phillies, and Mariners, Strauss reports in a follow-up piece.

We're said to be short of young talented guys and here's not just a shortstop, but a pitcher that are ready to sign, with other teams pursuing them, with 7 teams after them- they must have some value. I don't know if these particular guys are any good or not, the point is, aren't any of them worth the Angels' time?

This topic may have already been beaten to death, I'm' sorry if it has been, but it seems we have had little interest in these guys from outside of the draft conversation (Cuba, Japan, etc) and I'm just curious why.

The only thing I've been told is that the Angels have had trouble in the past finding accurate, reputable scouting sources for Cuba.  Whatever happened in the Dominican Republic a few years, back, they burnt a lot of bridges out of necessity.  

Now I don't think this applies when Cuban prospects are stateside for showcases, but I imagine it at least plays a small part when they have poor international relations.

I have brought this up previously.  The only answer I have received is that it takes time to develop relationships with players, coaches, etc. and the Angels are just starting to rebuilt those international relationships.  It actually sounds like a big excuse for not having spent and not spending now the international money. 

FEB. 20: MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that Arruebarruena's deal is believed to be five or six years in length. According to Sanchez, Arruebarruena is working out in the Dominican Republic as he awaits his work Visa. Without the Visa, the contract cannot be finalized, which is why the Dodgers have yet to make an official announcement. GM Ned Colletti did tell Sanchez the following:

"We signed Alexander [Guerrero] and we’re trying to sign another player because it’s tough in the Draft to find those players. You are pretty limited in the Draft as far as good hitters that can play in the middle of the infield. The way we look at it, we have the need for it in our organization and we’ve gone after them the way we have."

It's hard to disagree with that quote. 

"The only thing I've been told is that the Angels have had trouble in the past finding accurate, reputable scouting sources for Cuba.  Whatever happened in the Dominican Republic a few years, back, they burnt a lot of bridges out of necessity.  

Now I don't think this applies when Cuban prospects are stateside for showcases, but I imagine it at least plays a small part when they have poor international relations."

I've seen this reference to the Dominican Republic problem the team had some time ago, but nothing specific. If the Angels are being shut out of signing these guys- and only if- in this case, 2 Cuban players who are showcasing themselves at spring training sites- wow. We have to be interested.

Did the Angels do something illegal, or immoral, or diss Latino food, or what exactly? Even slightly more exact will probably suffice. Probably will never know; very frustrating.

Did the Angels do something illegal, or immoral, or diss Latino food, or what exactly? Even slightly more exact will probably suffice. Probably will never know; very frustrating.

Clay Daniels, the director of international scouting and some of his underlings were stealing money from players is all.   That had no impact on their reputation in Latin America at all..  None.  I mean, guys in impoverished countries looking to get paid are all just lining up to deal with people who are known crooks.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/06/05/angels.daniel/ Unfortunately most of the articles that covered the situation no longer exist.

Daniels aside, there really is no excuse for them not sending people to look at the Cuban players.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think the Cuban players are all hype right now, yes there is going to be some talent, but with the premium prices teams are going to pay it doesn't seem worth the risk. 

While this may be true, they bring the added benefit that (depending on their ages), they can be exempt from the counting against international signing budgets... So they are a source of players than can still be exploited with $$$.

Diaz got popped for trying to pretend he was older... http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/mlb-punishes-cuban-shortstop-aledmys-diaz-for-false-age/

Edited by Inside Pitch

While this may be true, they bring the added benefit that (depending on their ages), they can be exempt from the counting against international signing budgets... So they are a source of players than can still be exploited with $$$.

This. Also, Puig and Cespedes were insanely undervalued. Both should have gone for $100 million plus in hindsight.

Diaz got popped for trying to pretend he was older... http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/mlb-punishes-cuban-shortstop-aledmys-diaz-for-false-age/

hmm. I am not that familiar with how international signing budgets work. Would their salaries go against the cap?

This. Also, Puig and Cespedes were insanely undervalued. Both should have gone for $100 million plus in hindsight.

Which is why prices are skyrocketing on Cuban Players. I don't thing Puig has proved all that much anyway, he had a couple really good weeks that skewed his whole year's stats. Cespedes wasn't great last year either. 

hmm. I am not that familiar with how international signing budgets work. Would their salaries go against the cap?

Teams are allotted a budget based on previous years performance/standings.  Players age 23 or older with at least 3 years of experience in a foreign league are not subject to signing budget rules.    So guys like Tanaka, Abreu, etc wouldn't count against the budget where a guy like Kendrys Morales would have gone against the signing bonus caps.  

Teams that exceed their budgets are then restricted in how much they can offer players in the signing season the following year -- so any players that can be signed and not count against them carries some added benefit.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Really? Why are Cuban players exempt?

Scratch that. I read the thread (duh). It's not that they are Cuban, it's because they are older.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan