• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So in the wake of the Mulder injury and the oncoming Blanpocalypse, here are the remaining FA starters

jshep

Chris Capuano (35)
Odrisamer Despaigne (27)
Jon Garland (34)
Ubaldo Jimenez (30)
Jair Jurrjens (28)
Jeff Karstens (31)
Jason Marquis (35)
Jeff Niemann (31)
Clayton Richard (30)
Ervin Santana (31)
Johan Santana (34)
Joe Saunders (33)
Barry Zito (36)

- Ubaldo and Ervin are both going to be expensive and attached to draft picks, so that should be a no go.

- Garland's agent said he's not likely to pitch in 2014.

- Marquis had TJ surgery and isn't going to be back until late in the season. And then he'll be an almost 36 year old version of Jason Marquis.

- Niemann isn't expected to be back until the 2nd half, last I heard.

- Johan and Karstens are both coming off injuries, don't know what the latest timetable is on them though.

- Zito doesn't sound like he's planning on pitching in 2014 either.

Capuano would still be neat! Karstens is mildly interesting if he's healthy. Other than that...yikes.

Edited by jshep

Ubaldo figured something out in the 2nd half last year.

13 starts, 84 innings, 69 hits (7.4 H/9), 27 BBs (2.9 BB/9), 100 Ks (10.7 K/9), .223 BAA, 1.82 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 3.7 K/BB

His strand rate went back to the way it used to be when he was elite. So did his SwSt%, and he threw more first pitch strikes than ever before in his career. Also developed his slider and split finger. There is a lot to like about what Ubaldo did last season, and he only just turned 30.

Giving up a 1st round pick who probably wouldn't amount to anything - especially with the way we draft - for that kind of upside is worth it. We're talking about lightning in a bottle. You pay him as a #3, and you might be getting an ace in return.

Edited by Llewyn Davis

Ubaldo figured something out in the 2nd half last year.

13 starts, 84 innings, 69 hits (7.4 H/9), 27 BBs (2.9 BB/9), 100 Ks (10.7 K/9), .223 BAA, 1.82 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 3.7 K/BB

His strand rate went back to the way it used to be when he was elite. So did his SwSt%, and he threw more first pitch strikes than ever before in his career. Also developed his slider and split finger. There is a lot to like about what Ubaldo did last season, and he only just turned 30.

Giving up a 1st round pick who probably wouldn't amount to anything - especially with the way we draft - for that kind of upside is worth it. We're talking about lightning in a bottle. You pay him as a #3, and you might be getting an ace in return.

You might also be getting the guy who was pretty terrible for a few years before that 2nd half of 2013.

You might also be getting the guy who was pretty terrible for a few years before that 2nd half of 2013.

So have the scouts watch tape of him, and see what they think. Every FA signing is a gamble on some level. The Angels have the money. The SP is still somewhat suspect. Ubaldo could shore it up and give us the edge we need to propel us into the postseason. I think the juice is worth the squeeze here.

Edited by Llewyn Davis

I don't want to give up the pick, but like I have said before, if we could trade a middle infielder and bring back talent that would take the place of the lost pick, I would be ok signing Santana at the right price. I would not sign him if we weren't able to trade someone like Howie or Aybar and bring in solid minor league prospects.

I don't trust Santana or jiminez. Not enough to forfeit a pick anyway. Capuano still the best choice IMO. If Blanton sucks again which has high probability, and the halos get off to a slow start as a result, jd might be toast before the asb.

Really don't get the strategy...Seems awfully high risk...Richards, Skaggs and Santiago all need to be ready to go (which could happen, I guess) AND none of those 3 or Weaver and CJ getting hurt (very unlikely)...Absolutely no room for error....talk about a high wire act...

Will they regret not keeping Williams as pitching depth?    Granted the $3.9 million re-up may be a bit high for pitching depth. 

You have to have some depth....I can't believe DiPoto and Scioscia actually think Blanton or Shoemaker can be that depth, though....I know Skaggs and Santiago need a chance and we owe Blanton 8 million regardless but if something happens to any of the 5 projected guys in the rotation, we have no answer, none.....I guess we could still sign Capuano but that's about it....and it's scary....

Really don't get the strategy...Seems awfully high risk...Richards, Skaggs and Santiago all need to be ready to go (which could happen, I guess) AND none of those 3 or Weaver and CJ getting hurt (very unlikely)...Absolutely no room for error....talk about a high wire act...

Honestly not sure there is a strategy worth mentioning at play here.

As previously mentioned, Arte isn't necessarily interested in the Luxury Tax as much as he's interested in operating under their yearly budget and right now, 150 million is a lot closer than most people realize.  They could theoretically sign Ubaldo, but for a team that's looking at locking up Trout long term and build for the future, signing this sort of starter to a backloaded deal and forfeiting the highest pick they've had in years seems counter-productive. 

The best move here may actually be a trade.  As far as 2B in AA/AAA and the majors go, they have Kendrick, Grant Green, Taylor Lindsey and Alex Yarbrough.  They want to compete this year, so keeping Howie is preferably.  Grant Green is still learning the position, but he's athletic and his bat speaks for itself.  He may end up being a better 2B than Lindsey or Yarbrough.  

Keep Romine up as the backup 2B, have Green play the full year at 2B in Salt Lake, and deal Taylor Lindsey for a AAA starter with upside because right now, Lindsey's stock is looking pretty good.  The Angels would still have Kendrick, Green and Yarbrough on their 2B depth chart and would be no worse for it. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH