• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The greatest feat in Baseball history

Clarifying the obvious.

I imagine you probably didn't see Willie Mays, Ted Williams, or Mickey Mantle play, much less Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx.

Did you ever watch Sandy Koufax pitch?   How about Nolan Ryan?   Hell, how about Randy Johnson.    Fear and intimidation for more than decade with those guys.  

Sure, Bonds got a lot of free passes for a small stretch when he was riding the roid train.    Yeah he hit a few monster bombs in the 2002 WS LOSS to the Angels.

All those players you mentioned are definitely entertaining.  In todays game Trout and Cabrera are obviously the most exciting players to watch.  None of those players you mentioned however were as feared or respected at the plate like Bonds was.  If you want proof just look at the all time walks and intentional walks list. 

There has probably not been anyone in baseball that could crush a baseball like Bonds could.  That is what people want to see in a hitter.  He was so great and so talented that every time you went to the ballpark you expected to see him crush a baseball 500 feet.  

Also lol @ a few monster bombs.  You could make a whole highlight reel of just towering bombs hes hit in his career.  I just wish the Angels would have signed him if they had the chance.  He could have hit 80 bombs if he played at Angel Stadium instead of AT&T

I know this guy is trolling but I just wanted to say "Mike Trout".

Im not trolling lol from an offensive standpoint I truly believe Bonds has been the most entertaining player to watch.  That doesnt mean I think hes a saint or isnt an asshole.

I guess you cant post your opinions anymore without it being considered "trolling."  Just let this thread die already.

George Washington Bradley, pitcher for the old St. Louis Brown Stockings...started 64 games for his team in 1876, completing 63 of them with 16 shutouts...a 1.23 ERA and 0.887 WHIP.

He pitched the first no-hitter in major-league history that year. Bradley pitched 573 innings in 1876 and faced 2,269 batters.

Edited by fan_since79

Greatest pitching feat ever: Bob Gibson's June and July of 1968, a season in which he posted the lowest ERA ever for anyone pitching as many as 300 innings, and threw 13 shutouts. But those two months...Wow!

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2005/06/gibson_was_grea_1.php

From June 2 through July 30, 1968, Bob Gibson put on the greatest two-month display of pitching in baseball history. In a stretch of 99 innings, he gave up just TWO RUNS. One scored on a wild pitch ("a catchable ball," according to opposing first baseman Wes Parker), and the other on a bloop double which was fair by inches. Those were the only things standing between Gibby and ten straight shutouts.

Greatest pitching feat ever: Bob Gibson's June and July of 1968, a season in which he posted the lowest ERA ever for anyone pitching as many as 300 innings, and threw 13 shutouts. But those two months...Wow!

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2005/06/gibson_was_grea_1.php

From June 2 through July 30, 1968, Bob Gibson put on the greatest two-month display of pitching in baseball history. In a stretch of 99 innings, he gave up just TWO RUNS. One scored on a wild pitch ("a catchable ball," according to opposing first baseman Wes Parker), and the other on a bloop double which was fair by inches. Those were the only things standing between Gibby and ten straight shutouts.

Was a relative of Jeff Mathis catching him?

I love it when the thread title apparently has nothing to do with the OP's statement.

Its a very valid argument to say that the guy who hit the most home runs of all time in a pitchers friendly ballpark had the greatest feat in baseball history.

Theres too many Bonds haters on this site.  I understand why he is not in the hall of fame but you cant deny hes arguably the most dominant hitter of all time.

Its a very valid argument to say that the guy who hit the most home runs of all time in a pitchers friendly ballpark had the greatest feat in baseball history.

Theres too many Bonds haters on this site.  I understand why he is not in the hall of fame but you cant deny hes arguably the most dominant hitter of all time.

Still not making an argument for him having the greatest feat of all time.

Bonds streak of Homeruns was impressive. Roids or no roids that is a hell of a lot of Homeruns. Yes there are many great records and I don't knock them if they were using roids or not. In all honesty there is no telling who used and who did not. It became a witch hunt once they decided it was time to crack down on it. In all hoesnty in todays game Maris's 61 in one season might of got him accused of roid use seeing he only did it once. Ruth could of  been juiced on beer and roids. I don't approve of it but it seems to me a few of the many that were probably using got pointed out. and that in it's self is an injustice . Bonds  was a jerk as a player but history is often kinder when feats like that are left behind.

One of the greatest feats I saw was Randy Johnson vapouring a dove in front of home plate. My Dad took me to Veterans Stadium to watch Mays play a game against the Phillies... And so many more stars and feats since then....

Edited by Halofan

Lots of irrational hatred of Bonds in this thread.He is far and away the most dominant offensive player I have ever seen. In a world where more than half of the players were on steroids Bonds was the only guy that would crush virtually any pitch you threw him over the plate. I doubt we ever see another hitter dominate the game as much as he did.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan