• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Pipeline Perspectives: Halos' 2009 Draft elite

AngelsWin.com

Is a club better off getting one cornerstone player to build around while whiffing on the rest of its picks, or by acquiring several useful players but not any stars? The best Drafts end that discussion by scoring on both fronts. And baseball's best Draft of the past decade certainly did that -- the 2009 Angels.

View the full article

I have one thing to take issue with in the article. 

The farm system didn't slide due to Bane being let go. 

It slid because Reagins traded so many prospects away. 

Not totally sure I agree.  Reagins traded away Corbin and Skaggs, and a few others who didn't really pan out (Wil Smith, Sean O'Sullivan).  If we had Corbin, he would be in our rotation and thus no longer a prospect.  Our farm would still suck.  And we have Skaggs again, so he counts toward our farm.

I think our farm sucks because we missed badly in the 2010 and 2011 drafts, and gave up a number of high-round picks in 2011, 2012, and 2013.  We have also successfully graduated a few players recently and lost a huge prospect in the Greinke trade.  And we have no presence in Latin America (that could be the single biggest thing killing our farm, and it doesn't look like Arte intends to change that anytime soon).     

Not totally sure I agree.  Reagins traded away Corbin and Skaggs, and a few others who didn't really pan out (Wil Smith, Sean O'Sullivan).  If we had Corbin, he would be in our rotation and thus no longer a prospect.  Our farm would still suck.  And we have Skaggs again, so he counts toward our farm.

I think our farm sucks because we missed badly in the 2010 and 2011 drafts, and gave up a number of high-round picks in 2011, 2012, and 2013.  We have also successfully graduated a few players recently and lost a huge prospect in the Greinke trade.  And we have no presence in Latin America (that could be the single biggest thing killing our farm, and it doesn't look like Arte intends to change that anytime soon).     

This is the reason.

Also our reluctance to offer potential FA players a qualifying offer. Who knows what could have been done with those picks. Yes we may have gotten stuck with a few one year deals nothing that would have killed us. Would 1 year of a high priced Hunter really be that bad? 

I miss Bane as well, but that 2010 draft was pretty awful.

From what I understand, the rift between Reagins and Bane was really bad and he was told to go after high risk, high reward types in 2010. Which totally explains Clarke and Boldin and to some extend, Cowart who was a pitcher with a live arm, but Reagins liked him better as a potential Chipper Jones type at the hot corner.

Just being able to get Trout in that draft makes it a huge success. 

That draft produced the best player in baseball, a solid #2/3 guy in Corbin, a potentially solid #3/4 guy in Richards, a potential mid rotation guy in Skaggs and Grichuk, who could be a solid 4th outfielder. 

Bane did a phenomenal job that draft. 2010 was absolutely terrible but the 2009 draft is the reason why this team is even contending still. 

The Bolden and Clarke selections were real head scratchers. It's ok to draft one of those types of players earlier in the draft to try to get a high upside player. Drafting 2 high risk guys is excessive though. 

I was really hoping they would have taken a college arm, which would have been a way more safe pick. 

The 2009 draft was probably the best in team history. Imagine if the Angels still had all the players Bane drafted or signed out of Latin America: Obviously our cornerstone players in Trout and Weaver, Trumbo, Bourjos, Morales, Chatwood, Walden, Conger, Kohn, Alex Torres, Segura, Richards, Skaggs, Corbin, if they signed Harvey, Matusz, Posey, and Chris Davis, and Adenhart if he was still alive. Just imagine, a rotation of Weaver, Corbin, Adenhart, Richards, Skaggs, and Chatwood with a bullpen of Frieri, DDLR, Smith, Walden, Torres, Burnett, and Kohn and a lineup of, with homegrown players we probably don't sign Hamilton/Pujols:

1. Trout LF

2. Calhoun RF

3. Morales DH/1B

4. Trumbo 1B/DH

5. Kendrick 2B 

6. Segura 3B

7. Aybar SS

8. Conger C

9. Bourjos CF

Would have the payroll flexibility and/or prospect depth to make a move for a big bat to add to the lineup