• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kendrys really blew it

Angelsjunky

Here. I have a hard time imagining anyone wanting to give up a first round draft pick for a sub-.800 OPS DH. I kind of feel bad for him, but that's what you get for refusing a one-year, $14 million contract.

The whole qualifying offer thing really screws older players. It will be interesting to see how this plays out - Kendrys might be hanging out at home until July.

Perhaps make a deadline for a player who declined a QO to sign a contract. After the deadline any team can sign him and not lose a draft pick.

Teams will still have protected picks and could sign him at any point and teams who don't care about losing a pick can sign him anyway.

Perhaps make a deadline for a player who declined a QO to sign a contract. After the deadline any team can sign him and not lose a draft pick.

Teams will still have protected picks and could sign him at any point and teams who don't care about losing a pick can sign him anyway.

Then what would be the point of ever signing a player before the deadline.

Lmao did he really think a team would be desperate enough to not only pay him more than 14m a year, but also give up their 1st round pick?

What are agents even for? Seriously?

I don't think he expected more than $14M per season. But I do think he expected a 2-3 year deal for more than $14M. I probably would have done the same thing. A multi-year contract wasn't far fetched.

I don't think he expected more than $14M per season. But I do think he expected a 2-3 year deal for more than $14M. I probably would have done the same thing. A multi-year contract wasn't far fetched.

For a first round pick? I think you're ignoring that part, a 2-3 year deal isn't far fetched, but when it includes a first rounder..

I'm guessing he will still get a 2 year $20 million deal.

Who's going to be stupid enough to give up that first rounder? He's going to be sitting on his ass all year.

Less competition. Guys like Cano would get signed early regardless, while guys like Morales would end up waiting unless someone really wants his services.

Also like I said in a previous thread a team like the Yankees who have already signed a Arb offered free agent could sign Kendry and not give up a pick.

Maybe some team that already gave up their first rounder for another better player. Or maybe a team that has a late 20's pick and has a solid farm system.

Kendrys isn't Pujols, Hamilton or Cano. I could see a guy like Towers doing it (before the Trumbo trade) due to desperation, but how many teams in today's day and age would give up a chance at drafting young cheap talent? Maybe 2-3 GMs, but it's still unlikely.

Lmao did he really think a team would be desperate enough to not only pay him more than 14m a year, but also give up their 1st round pick?

What are agents even for? Seriously?

If this blows up in his face it's going to be agent fail.  Maybe Boras assumed teams with protected picks would line up, maybe he felt somneone would be desperate enough to sign him despite the loss of the pick.   From Kendrys POV, after that leg injury... I can see why he would want a long term deal and the financial stability that might come with it.

Maybe they need to make it so that the team making the offer has to take some risk beyond the player just accepting.  Possibly make it so a team that puts in the offer would be on the hook for a minimum offer of 80% of the QO should the player decline but not find a taker.  So in a situation like Kendry's the worst he could do would be one year 10.5 mil with the Mariners.

The way it's set up now, a player can get screwed pretty harshly.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Maybe some team that already gave up their first rounder for another better player. Or maybe a team that has a late 20's pick and has a solid farm system.

I'm not sure, but I think the system goes that the top 15 teams in the draft don't lose their first round pick when they sign a player, they lose their second. So in that respect it makes more sense for a higher drafting team to sign him. The only problem with this is those teams aren't usually close to contention and don't want to commit $20 million to a DH. Also I think if a team has already lost their first round pick then they lose their second rounder. So those teams wouldn't be picking until the end of the third round.

I'm not sure, but I think the system goes that the top 15 teams in the draft don't lose their first round pick when they sign a player, they lose their second. So in that respect it makes more sense for a higher drafting team to sign him. The only problem with this is those teams aren't usually close to contention and don't want to commit $20 million to a DH. Also I think if a team has already lost their first round pick then they lose their second rounder. So those teams wouldn't be picking until the end of the third round.

I'm not sure about the losing the 2nd round pick, I thought that was done away with but I could be wrong.