• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kendrys really blew it

Angelsjunky

Yeah, I feel bad for a guy who is going to make and has made millions of dollars playing baseball for a living.

Making money isn't everything. The guy had the talent to put up numbers and have a really good career.

He has had some awful breaks (no pun intended) along the way, and seems like a really good guy.

I don't feel sorry for many players, but I do believe Kendrys deserved better after all he's gone through.

The draft pick thing is a huge issue that needs to be addressed.

If not for the draft pick he would most likely be back with the Angels

No. If it weren't for the CBT he could be with the Angels. But he is probably going to get a multi year deal in excess of $20 million and you think the Angels would pay that?

No. If it weren't for the CBT he could be with the Angels. But he is probably going to get a multi year deal in excess of $20 million and you think the Angels would pay that?

IF he gets signed, he will wind up with a one or two year deal on a non contender.

Astros-Cubs- Muts-Twins-Marlins-Pads .

Edited by Homebrewer

I love how we can't feel bad for millionaires that play a game. We can only feel bad for horribly awful things in life.

You can feel bad for him for any reason.  I will feel bad for him if something truly bad happens...jumping on homeplate and getting a serious injury for example.  But feeling bad for him because he may make a few million less this year because his agent told him he could get more than the qualifying offer seems silly to me.

I love how we can't feel bad for millionaires that play a game. We can only feel bad for horribly awful things in life.

Kendry's signed as a FA out of Cuba. He was a union member when the collective bargaining agreement was voted on. He was offered a one year $14 million contract. He has maybe the best agent of all time representing him and informing him of the risks and rewards of accepting and declining that contract. I don't feel bad for the guy. He had every chance to make good decisions and didn't make it. He also had every opportunity to play better last season so teams would sign him regardless of losing a pick.

Is the system 100% fair (in that he will maximize his $ received on this contract? Maybe not. But it's far less fair to guys who are drafted out of high school and have much smaller first contracts, no choice in where they play, and weren't voting members in the Union when the CBA was voted on. Guys on their rookie contracts are far worse off than Kendrys and it's only going to get worse. Mike Trout could have held out for a higher signing bonus. With the new system those guys can't even really do that. The system was voted on and approved by the players. I feel no sympathy for them.

Not only that, but if Kendrys accepted his $14 million dollar contract and played well and did that 3 years in a row that is probably more than he would have been offered in a contract. He has the opportunity to earn more money than he would have.

Edited by eaterfan

I think the compensation should be tiered. 

you can offer one of two or even three levels of comp to a player.  The comp value could be predetermined every year

15mil - tied to the signers 1st round pick draft pick

10mil - tied to the 2nd or 3rd round with the signer losing their pick but getting a comp pick at the end of the round

5mil - tied to the 4th or 5th round.  No lost pick.  team that lost the player just gets a comp pick at the end of the round

Also, whether a team gets a comp pick could be tied to the number of years the player signs for.  ex. 

3yrs or greater and the new team loses it's pick

<3yrs and the new team doesn't forfeit a pick but the team that lost the player gets a comp pick.

Basically, some sort of hybrid of the new and old system without the lame type A/B thing. 

I wouldn't underestimate Scott Boras. How many times have we said "That Boras screwed up this time!" and he still gets his guy the money. It's only Dec. 19.

Look at last year with Rafael Soriano. The Nats didn't need a closer until Boras convinced them they did.

Don't be surprised if Morales signs with the Twins. Clearly they have some money to spend. They have a protected pick. They have no real DH (less so since trading Doumit yesterday).

I doubt that's what he's looking for.

He's looking for longer contract (probably 3 year/$30-$32 million) that pays more into his mid 30s.  He's as aware as anybody else is of his lack of value.  In Seattle, he was the best player on the team, despite being worthless defensively.  If he even has a slight letdown on a 1 year contract anywhere, say good bye to getting tens of millions offered to him.  

Yeah, I believe this was the thinking as well. I think he wants more years with a slightly less AAV, because he wants the security.

I think the compensation should be tiered. 

you can offer one of two or even three levels of comp to a player.  The comp value could be predetermined every year

15mil - tied to the signers 1st round pick draft pick

10mil - tied to the 2nd or 3rd round with the signer losing their pick but getting a comp pick at the end of the round

5mil - tied to the 4th or 5th round.  No lost pick.  team that lost the player just gets a comp pick at the end of the round

Also, whether a team gets a comp pick could be tied to the number of years the player signs for.  ex. 

3yrs or greater and the new team loses it's pick

<3yrs and the new team doesn't forfeit a pick but the team that lost the player gets a comp pick.

Basically, some sort of hybrid of the new and old system without the lame type A/B thing. 

Nothing wrong with that, and I imagine the owners would be OK with that system. It's important to remember though, that the purpose of the compensation system is to decrease amateur signing bonuses. Since the bonuses are now tied to slot when a team gives up their first round pick that money simply disappears. Every QO made each off season converts one high valued first round pick into a lesser second round pick - even though overall selection order stays the same.

Getting rid of QO is a good way to benefit big market teams and kill small market teams.

Big market teams have enough advantages.  

In theory. In practice most of the QOs are extended by the big market clubs who can afford to make them. Just as the international budged was supposed to help small market clubs but the only team punished for exceeding the budget was the Rays.