• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal: Dipoto said they're interested in Matt Garza

Chuck

I really would be fine with Garza as the number 3. I mean, in 2013 Vargas was the number 3 starter and pitched 150 innings with a 94 ERA+. You'd be crazy not to expect better from Garza. Hell, he had a 94 ERA+ in Texas during the summer heat. I could easily see him back in the 105-110 range in Anaheim, which is exactly what they need.

If they can get him on a 4yr deal at no more than $15 mill per....I'd be fine with that. You'd have him for his age 30-33 seasons, which isn't too bad

Weav

CJ

Garza

Santiago or Skaggs

Richards

Santiago or Skaggs - whoever isn't in the rotation

is a good rotation. You have 3 sure things at the top and then the backend has 2 young guys who have room to grow/improve.

Edited by bloodbrother

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick confirms that the Angels are among the teams with interest in Matt Garza.

The Diamondbacks are also believed to have serious interest in the 30-year-old right-hander, who posted a cool 3.82 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 136/42 K/BB ratio in 155 1/3 innings this summer between the Cubs and Rangers. His contract demands are likely sky-high at the moment, but the Angels have shown they're willing to spend big money. Garza is not tied to draft pick compensation, which should help his bottom line.

I'd have no problem with the Angels signing Garza for 4/60 or 5/75.  The man is a legit #3.

Weaver

Wison

Garza

Santiago

Richards

That is leaps and bounds better than what the Angels had as a starting rotation last year.  That is a playoff bound starting rotation.

And it gives us depth in case there's an injury with Skaggs getting the first crack at the rotation, Shoemaker second. I like those options over Blanton, Volstad, etc.

Again, I don't think this is a stopping point, but the Angels haven't paid over the 5/85 that Weaver got and I'm sure they would see the CJ Wilson contract as the highpoint at 5/77.5.  So if it escalates over 5/75, I don't think they do it, nor should they.  The best would be 4/60 plus a vesting option...make him earn the 5th year.  Based on the moves we've made, outside of maybe a DH type and another bullpen arm, the team is pretty set, so we should be an attractive option for the California native.

Edited by KevinStockerIsGod

All these free agent pitchers are going to have their downside. The Angels just need to decide if they're willing to give up a pick for Jimenez or decide if they're going to wait out this whole Tanaka mess. 

Garza is the best guy out there and is an above average starter that we need to slot in the #3 spot. He's going to be overpaid and he's most likely not going to be very good in years 4/5 of the deal. But he doesn't come with a draft pick and he's way more reliable than any other starter out there. Are the people who don't want Garza ok with Arroyo or giving up a pick to get Jimenez?

My #1 choice is Colon on a 1 year deal but I'm not opposed to Garza on a 4/60 type of deal if that's what it comes down to. 

I'd be somewhat comfortable at 4/60, but I know he'll get more than that from somebody (hopefully not us).  He missed about half a season in 2011 and a quarter of 2012, and just turned 30 to boot.  Most people don't have less injuries as they age.  The positive is that he hasn't had any serious shoulder or elbow problems (I believe he's only missed time due to a bone bruise and a lat strain), but I still wouldn't go five years for a dude that hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2010. 

Hopefully by Garza's 4th season (2017), we would have reinforcements close by anyway (Hunter Green, Sappington, etc.).

He was durable from 2008-2011.    

And after only 103 innings in 2012, he did get in 170 innings between the Cubs and rehab starts in 2013.

He should be good for 200+ innings in 2014, and would only be 30 throughout the season.

4/$60 million plus vesting option to get to 5/$75 million sounds okay to me.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I would absolutely NOT do more than 5/75 for Garza, and even then I'd be holding my nose. If they can get him for 4/60, that seems reasonable, but I have my doubts about Garza. He's just the best of the non-Tanaka free agents out there, which isn't saying much.

I wouldn't want Colon for more than a year plus option, and I don't want to cough up the draft pick that it would cost to sign Jimenez (nor do I think he'll be good enough for the money we'd have to pay).

I want absolutely NO part of Arroyo, period. He will get lit up in the AL, and it's not like he's a spring chicken anymore.

I'd be somewhat comfortable at 4/60, but I know he'll get more than that from somebody (hopefully not us).  He missed about half a season in 2011 and a quarter of 2012, and just turned 30 to boot.  Most people don't have less injuries as they age.  The positive is that he hasn't had any serious shoulder or elbow problems (I believe he's only missed time due to a bone bruise and a lat strain), but I still wouldn't go five years for a dude that hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2010. 

The injury in 2012 was a stress reaction in his elbow, so he doesn't come without some risk in that regard