• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Guys, tell me about Bourjos.

Well, hopefully this turns out well for both of our teams.

Probably will be best to revisit this around July 1.

Do you guys have a SS that's worth a shit? I wouldn't mind seeing Lance Lynn or Jaime Garcia go for an upgrade there. I hear that Shelby Miller is available as well. Not so hot about the idea of losing him though.

See y'all at the Big A this summer!

Do you guys have a SS that's worth a shit? I wouldn't mind seeing Lance Lynn or Jaime Garcia go for an upgrade there. I hear that Shelby Miller is available as well. Not so hot about the idea of losing him though.

Aybar is a top 5 AL SS, he had a somewhat disappointing 2nd half in 2013. In 2012, he hit .290 with a .417 SLG and 4.0 WAR. 

If they'd have been willing to swap Miller, Lynn, Wacha, Martinez, or even Joe Kelly it would likely have been part of this trade. Coming off a down year, I'd have been fine with that…evens out the prospect you got back in the deal. 

I am not sure if the analyst here realize that PB had just 9ne seas9n where he was injured. No one would be talking about him being fragioe if he wasnt hit by a pitch. This is a steal for the Cards. I just hope our FO has some moves up their sleeves.

He's had hamstring problems in other years, missed two weeks in 2011, missed some time in 2012 when he wasn't getting AB's anyway. Not injury prone, just had some bad luck. He'll play 130-145 games for the Cardinals at or above his stats in 2011….which is a steal, if Freese doesn't get back to 2011-2012 form.

That's not the part of the trade I'm pissed about it's including Grichuck, and not getting a better reliever or starting pitcher back. I'd have been fine with a low minors starter like Tim Cooney. 

don't know if it's been mentioned about Bourjos, but as much as I like the guy, he doesn't take near full advantage of his biggest asset, which is his speed.  He's surprisingly bad at stealing bases, given that he's among the fastest runners in MLB.  He may get better over time at reading pitchers, but he doesn't appear to have great natural instincts.

SoCal, he is an upgrade on Jon Jay for sure.    I've heard his name in rumors from our FO for the last year so this was a guy Mo was eager to get.  

I am excited to see Gold Glove quality defense in CF again in St. Louis because we haven't had that since Jimmy Edmonds.

-

For those asking about Freese, here is my assessment. 

When he is healthy, he will perform.   He hits for power.   He is slow and below average on defense.   But he is thought of in St. Louis as the kind of guy you want at the plate with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with the tying run at 2nd.     He has a history of being "clutch", although I'm not a fan of that word.

He had a down year in 2013 and grounded into double plays.    He started the year on the DL and had a few strong weeks after coming back but he just seemed lost last year.

I think he needed a change of scenery.  Cards wanted to go all in with their 2B prospect Wong and move Carpetner back to his original poisition at 3B. I wanted the Cards to give him 2014 to turn it around because Wong has yet to prove he is ready at the MLB level and I think Freese still has a few good seasons left in him.    His ankles need to hold up, that will be key.   

I think David will be happy to play with Albert again.   Last time they played together they won a WS.

Here is David's interview about his legacy in STL, gives you an idea of the kind of guy you are getting.

http://langosch.mlblogs.com/2013/11/22/freese-on-fridays-trade-and-his-legacy-in-st-louis/#more-2126201

I think this Angels lineup with Hamilton, Pujols, Trout, Trumbo, and now Freese - if all 5 of these guys are hitting that lineup is crazy scary. 

He's had hamstring problems in other years, missed two weeks in 2011, missed some time in 2012 when he wasn't getting AB's anyway. Not injury prone, just had some bad luck. He'll play 130-145 games for the Cardinals at or above his stats in 2011….which is a steal, if Freese doesn't get back to 2011-2012 form.

That's not the part of the trade I'm pissed about it's including Grichuck, and not getting a better reliever or starting pitcher back. I'd have been fine with a low minors starter like Tim Cooney.

I am pissed off because we need pitching and our defense sucked last year. So far in this off season we lose a one of our few ave to above ave pitchers and we trade our best defensive player. Trust me there are moves Dipoto can make to take this a decent trade. By itself the trade sucks.

I'm not either, but the Cards did turn down Miller for JJ Hardy. 

Mo knows what he's doing!

(I like Hardy, but only one year of team control, I say offer the O's Lynn and hope he signs an extension) 

My only wish is that Peter would have remained healthy so we could have seen the tandem of him and Trout in the outfield last season. Although it never would have compensated for the abysmal pitching staff the improved defense and excitement level of watching games would have made a losing season a little more tolerable. He had started so hot and then gone for 3/4ths of the season.

Better luck to him in StLouis, when healthy and even given the streakiness of his offense, you should enjoy the hell out of watching him play.

I think this Angels lineup with Hamilton, Pujols, Trout, Trumbo, and now Freese - if all 5 of these guys are hitting that lineup is crazy scary. 

It certainly could be. However, our recent history with position player acquisitions is that they suddenly forget how to hit as soon as they arrive. You mentioned Freese hitting into a lot of double plays. Several of our guys have turned that into an art form, including Albert Pujols.

Issue with him is health. If he is healthy, don't see why he can't repeat his 2011 line, maybe with a bit more improvement. He is easily one of, if not the best defensive CFer in MLB. He's going to be a tremendous help to the Cardinals pitching staff and to Matt Holliday(wont' have to range much for certain balls)

all in all, over a full season, he's likely a 3-4 WAR player, which is excellent value considering how cheap he still is.

Leonys Martin was a 3.4 WAR last season so... there's that.

You guys are way too negaAngel around here.

You have a good lineup. You'll get some good years from 5. He'll right the ship. Hamilton as well.

You really only need a couple of starters behind Weaver to get you to the deadline. Sign a guy and make a trade this winter, and you're there. After that, make a deal with someone wanting to unload salary at the deadline. They are always out there. Deal from your strengths, and right now, your strength is cash. You guys have tons of it.

The Prince Fielder deal isn't going to be what Texas wants it to be. Dude is 330 lbs. and 31 years old. That's never a good combination.

Salas was a shit show last year, but he's been good in the past. This deal won't look that bad come July 31.

Your lineup is stacked, and Trout is a stud in CF. You really haven't lost much of anything. You just need pitching.

It certainly could be. However, our recent history with position player acquisitions is that they suddenly forget how to hit as soon as they arrive. You mentioned Freese hitting into a lot of double plays. Several of our guys have turned that into an art form, including Albert Pujols.

Albert has always done the GIDP thing.  I think he's led the NL a few times.  Its bound to happen when you have guys in front of you who get on base a lot.

I think Albert is going to have a great comeback year.   He's supposedly healthy, and now he has another friend on the team.

You guys are way too negaAngel around here.

You have a good lineup. You'll get some good years from 5. He'll right the ship. Hamilton as well.

You really only need a couple of starters behind Weaver to get you to the deadline. Sign a guy and make a trade this winter, and you're there. After that, make a deal with someone wanting to unload salary at the deadline. They are always out there. Deal from your strengths, and right now, your strength is cash. You guys have tons of it.

The Prince Fielder deal isn't going to be what Texas wants it to be. Dude is 330 lbs. and 31 years old. That's never a good combination.

Salas was a shit show last year, but he's been good in the past. This deal won't look that bad come July 31.

Your lineup is stacked, and Trout is a stud in CF. You really haven't lost much of anything. You just need pitching.

Unfortunately our team has decided that we cannot add any payroll that will put us over the luxury tax. This means we aren't making any of these cash based deals.

Just what we need, another guy who's in the process of becoming a GIDP machine...

Well, the good news about this is that with everybody hitting ground balls to the infield, there will be fewer runners on base, therefore fewer opportunities to ground into double plays. Progress!