• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Who will the Angels deal for pitching?

DMVol

I think he forgot about Bourjos.  I doubt they part ways with Aybar because then they'd replace one need with another, SS.  And there are more pitchers available then shortstops.

I'm beginning to wonder whether or not they'll trade Kendrick, mostly because they may prefer to want to use Grant Green at 3B instead of 2B and may not want to promote Lindsey that quickly. 

But I think Trumbo and Bourjos are as good as gone.  Calhoun emerged as an everyday option and Shuck is a 4th OF in every sense of the term. 

I still think the deal that is going to be made is an Iannetta + Blanton/Hanson for Beuhrle.  It would give the Jays salary relief, a catcher, and more than likely in Hanson's case a second chance/potential starter.  Angels would get a solid innings eater back end starter for a net less than they would have paid Vargas.

Buehrle is gonna be 35 and is owed $30M over the next two seasons.... and there's no way they would take Blanton.  They know Hanson is washed up as well.  And it would provide them what, $4M in salary relief?  Iannetta makes $5M and Hanson will make around $4-5M in arbitration. 

We're looking for cost-controlled young pitching.  The last thing we need is more bloated payroll for another guy in his mid-thirties.  

Edited by Reveille1984

Heyman I agree.

But Rosenthal literally wrote last offseason that the Angels were going to trade Morales and Wells and the Yankees wanted Wells. I think he knows what's up.

Yeah he knows what's going on behind the scenes as far as potential trades and signings, but he doesn't study the roster enough (or at least the Angels roster and minor league depth).

Buehrle is gonna be 35 and is owed $30M over the next two seasons.... and there's no way they would take Blanton.  They know Hanson is washed up as well.  

We're looking for cost-controlled young pitching.  The last thing we need is more bloated payroll for another guy in his mid-thirties.  

Get ready to deal Calhoun and prospects then.  Those that want young pitching will want young under control players.

I still think the deal that is going to be made is an Iannetta + Blanton/Hanson for Beuhrle.  It would give the Jays salary relief, a catcher, and more than likely in Hanson's case a second chance/potential starter.  Angels would get a solid innings eater back end starter for a net less than they would have paid Vargas.

Hanson isn't going to be tendered. The Blue Jays will be able to sign him to a minor league contract. 

Hanson isn't going to be tendered. The Blue Jays will be able to sign him to a minor league contract. 

I sincerely believe that the Angels could absorb most if not all of Blanton's contract and trade him to a team in need of a 5th starter of which there will be many before the 2014 season starts. If we ate all of the contract we could probably extract a Minor League bullpen piece.

Get ready to deal Calhoun and prospects then.  Those that want young pitching will want young under control players.

It just doesn't seem realistic to me.  If we were willing to take on that much payroll for a 3-4 starter, then Vargas would have been the better option anyways since it was only a year commitment and if he declined the offer we would have received draft compensation.  

I think some combination of Trumbo/Bourjos/Kendrick/etc. can bring back a decent, projectable starter.  That on top of Wilson, Weaver and Richards will look a lot better than whatever combination of trash we hauled out last year.