• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

California Golden Bears Football

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

It's official. It's Wilcox.

It'll be interesting to see who he brings on as coordinators. The names I'm hearing are kinda underwhelming, and it sounds like Tosh isn't happening.

Talk about rehabing your image...last SC fans heard from him, it was uncontrollable cursing and yelling from the coaches' box during the Holiday Bowl. He must have subscribed to the Kiff/Sark "How to Fail Upwards" Newsletter 

4 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Talk about rehabing your image...last SC fans heard from him, it was uncontrollable cursing and yelling from the coaches' box during the Holiday Bowl. He must have subscribed to the Kiff/Sark "How to Fail Upwards" Newsletter 

I dunno. Outside of being involved in the "Sark hits rock bottom" dumpster fire at USC, his resume is super solid, honestly. I'm hopeful that it's not representative of what we can expect. He's the guy most people wanted back when we hired Dykes once Petersen said no.

16 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Yeah I remember he was a super hot commodity, until USC. But he's since recovered. 

I'm good with the hiring. Dykes was never a Cal guy, or hell west coast / california guy. Wilcox has the bay area / cal pedigree and history. So that's nice.

I'm good with the hiring as well. As you said, he's done very well everywhere but USC. I expect the first couple of years to be rough, but probably better than they would have been had we held on to Dykes.

They're serious about this. They pretty much fired Dykes and took on his buyout because they felt he wasn't committed to the school. I don't know how much more they're willing to put towards the coaching staff, but increased salaries would be nice.

Starting soon, Cal will be the only game in town for live football that isn't Stanford (and their fanbase sucks), or the 49ers (Santa Clara is a drive). They need to strike now.

It looks like we're not going to get Lake for DC, though we tried. The money was there, but UW put a buyout clause in his contract that stated he could only leave without buyout if he were to become a head coach. From what I understand, he actually wanted to come to Cal but he's essentially blocked by UW and due to some sort of bureaucratic issues with paying the buyout, he's not going to happen. 

• Chuck pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 3/29/2017 at 3:13 PM, mrwicked said:

@RallyMo how are things looking for the Bears at this point? Any updates?

I think that the coaching staff looks really good, but it's really impossible to tell. Wilcox has been rather good everywhere he's been except for USC, but that was a completely dysfunctional situation. He says all the right things, but all coaches do.

There's definitely a shortage of depth everywhere but on offense. That'll be difficult to overcome at first. I hope these guys can recruit well.

Side note: we were actually in Colorado a couple of weeks ago and we were at the pool with Scout and her cousins. I looked over at the dude next to me and did a double take. Sonny freaking Dykes. He was with his daughter and I wasn't going to bug him, but if he hadn't been with his kid I would have asked him just how tough it is to run a program in that environment, amongst other things.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/28/2017 at 9:05 PM, RallyMo said:

Oh crap, we just got a legit OL commit for the first time in forever.

this seems like an odd time for someone to commit. being as how i don't know much about this area, i'll go ahead and ask if this if for this season or for next season.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

this seems like an odd time for someone to commit. being as how i don't know much about this area, i'll go ahead and ask if this if for this season or for next season.

He's a 2018 commit